www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lucas magneto coupling

+2
maryalice
Haddock
6 posters

Go down

Lucas magneto coupling Empty Lucas magneto coupling

Post by Haddock Sat Apr 30 2022, 09:22

Hello,

I just received some Lucas RS1 magneto's for restoration, and one of them has this coupling instead of the usual sprocket.
Is this for a Lister engine???

Regards Very Happy

Lucas magneto coupling 20220416

Haddock
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lucas magneto coupling Empty Re: Lucas magneto coupling

Post by maryalice Sat Apr 30 2022, 09:30

No its not, early Listers with shaft drive had a flexible coupling then Listers went to the chain and sprocket drive, on spec22/25 engines they had a similar set up to the F type which was the flexible coupling.
Undo the nut and remove the coupler and you should still have the tapered shaft.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddock Sat Apr 30 2022, 10:47

Ruston PB maybe?

Haddock
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddock Sat Apr 30 2022, 16:19

This one has a spark but when i removed the cover the condensor was missing!
I better fit one i think?
Lucas magneto coupling 20220417

Haddock
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sat Apr 30 2022, 22:39

Ruston PB is a good probability

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by philipagri Mon May 02 2022, 12:53

maryalice wrote:No its not, early Listers with shaft drive had a flexible coupling then Listers went to the chain and sprocket drive, on spec22/25 engines they had a similar set up to the F type which was the flexible coupling.
Undo the nut and remove the coupler and you should still have the tapered shaft.

Maryalice
Lucas magneto coupling Dscf2811
Lucas magneto coupling Dscf2810

Sorry to disagree, I believe this is indeed a magneto from an early Lister D type. Attached are photos of two of my Lucas RS1's.
The one on the left in each photo is from my Lister D spec 13 shaft drive and is identical to Haddock's. The RS1 in this case must have been substituted for a failing earlier ML type and using the original standard coupling.
The magneto on the right is from my Ruston 8PB engine and as you can see has a rather different thicker coupling that takes a thinner shaft connection. Neither uses what I would think of as a flexible coupling like that of some F types.

I am still looking for the earlier type Lister D ML magneto with clockwise rotation if anyone has one. Neutral

Thanks, Philip.
philipagri
philipagri
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Mon May 02 2022, 13:05

Philip,
Your allowed to disagree Smile the original coupling would have been a flexible disc type, maybe yours was the coupling used to replace the original magneto, side shaft D's only used the bread loaf as a replacement.
Did you go to the Cotswold bring and buy, Peter and I and others are using a new one half an hour from my home.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by philipagri Mon May 02 2022, 18:54

maryalice wrote:Philip,

Did you go to the Cotswold bring and buy, Peter and I and others are using a new one half an hour from my home.

Maryalice

It was still a 3.5 hour drive for me to get to Clanfield and having been to an HJ Pugh, Ledbury sale the previous  weekend for an estate sale of vintage lawnmowers and spent my money I decided to give the bring and buy a miss. With Woodford sale on the same weekend I wasn't sure how many stalls would be there anyway.Lucas magneto coupling Dscf2812

Philip
philipagri
philipagri

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Mon May 02 2022, 19:11

It was Woodford that I and Peter attended for the second time, about 40 mins from me, bigger than when I went last time, at a guess around 30 plus sellers and a fair number of possible buyers, its a no brainer for us as the Cotswold event is way to far for us now.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guldner Mon Oct 02 2023, 19:09

G’Evening folks,
I have a ‘31 Lister D, currently it is fitted with a Fairbanks Morse mag which is dead. I’m using the mags points to activate a car coil set up.
What I require is the coupling for the shaft drive, in order to fit a Lucas mag. Currently there is a nylon type bush doing the drive.
Are they available and where from? Or any details in order to make/adapt one to fit ie what is the diameter of the driving shaft ?
Thank you in advance.
Have fun.
G Very Happy

Guldner
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Tue Oct 03 2023, 10:14

Best to start a new thread rather than tag onto an old one.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Tue Oct 03 2023, 17:33

[quote="philipagri"][quote="maryalice"]No its not, early Listers with shaft drive had a flexible coupling then Listers went to the chain and sprocket drive, on spec22/25 engines they had a similar set up to the F type which was the flexible coupling.

Maryalice[/quote]
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20102494/32][img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f74/20/10/24/94/dscf2811.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20102494/31][img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f74/20/10/24/94/dscf2810.jpg[/img][/url]

Sorry to disagree, I believe this is indeed a magneto from an early Lister D type. Attached are photos of two of my Lucas RS1's.
The one on the left in each photo is from my Lister D spec 13 shaft drive and is identical to Haddock's. The RS1 in this case must have been substituted for a failing earlier ML type and using the original standard coupling.
The magneto on the right is from my Ruston 8PB engine and as you can see has a rather different thicker coupling that takes a thinner shaft connection. Neither uses what I would think of as a flexible coupling like that of some F types.

I am still looking for the earlier type Lister D ML magneto with clockwise rotation if anyone has one. Neutral

Thanks, Philip.[/quote]

Agree, the mag on the left is the shaft drive from a Dross Box, has a disc with a slot on each side at 90* to each other that engages into the end of the govener shaft, the flexible drive with the rubber disc was later.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down