www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister powered WVO waste vegetable oil processor

3 posters

Go down

Lister powered WVO waste vegetable oil processor  Empty Lister powered WVO waste vegetable oil processor

Post by FilthyDiesel Tue Jun 14 2022, 10:45

Good morning folks.

I've been running waste vegetable oil in my series 3 land rover for several years and have previously used a very crude setup using a series of filtering socks and settling tanks which has been both cheap and effective but painfully slow.

I recently was offered a restored lister domestic water pump which I thought not only looked the part but would be ideal for a waste oil processor, due to the fact that the pump is a reciprocating type it is suitable for moving viscous liquids and able to provide enough pressure to push it through filters making it perfect for veg.

I have mounted the pump on top of a 220L oil drum and using a 5micron water filter and valve the oil can either be recirculated within the tank or diverted to a filler nozzle to fill Jerry cans or a vehicle directly.

So far I'm really happy with the outcome, I just love hearing and seeing the pump do its thing. It's memorizing.

Lister powered WVO waste vegetable oil processor  Img20211
Lister powered WVO waste vegetable oil processor  Img20210
Lister powered WVO waste vegetable oil processor  Img20212

Last edited by FilthyDiesel on Tue Jun 14 2022, 18:47; edited 1 time in total

FilthyDiesel

Back to top Go down

Lister powered WVO waste vegetable oil processor  Empty Re: Lister powered WVO waste vegetable oil processor

Post by maryalice Tue Jun 14 2022, 11:20

Nice idea but be aware that the pump originally has leather cup seals which may rot as they are for water only.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Lister powered WVO waste vegetable oil processor  Empty Re: Lister powered WVO waste vegetable oil processor

Post by FilthyDiesel Tue Jun 14 2022, 11:23

maryalice wrote:Nice idea but be aware that the pump originally has leather cup seals which may rot as they are for water only.

Maryalice

I believe they were replaced with neoprene. But I shall confirm with previous owner.

I don't see how leather would rot with oil. My Land rover has many leather oil seals which are sitting in EP90 oil bath. Leather and oil generally go pretty well together. I remember having an air rifle many year ago with leather seals which required regular oiling to keep the seals soft. Unless there something im unaware of.

FilthyDiesel

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Tue Jun 14 2022, 11:48

Lots of oil seals are treated to protect them, these pumps were built just to pump water, just making you aware.

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FilthyDiesel Tue Jun 14 2022, 12:12

maryalice wrote:Lots of oil seals are treated to protect them, these pumps were built just to pump water, just making you aware.

Thanks. Good to know. If it looses pressure anytime soon I shall know where to look.

FilthyDiesel

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Tue Jun 14 2022, 18:41

Well that will be something different on the engine line Very Happy

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down