www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

'Imperial' Corn Mill

Go down

'Imperial' Corn Mill Empty 'Imperial' Corn Mill

Post by Garak Sat Sep 10 2022, 20:34

I've started the process of getting my T Eaton and Co 'Imperial' corn mill / grinder in some sort of order ready for showing as a working exhibit.

I've decided to leave it in it's working clothes as it has some of it's original paint, lettering and pin-striping visible so I will remove the worst of the rust and treat the surfaces with a 50/50 mix of boiled Linseed Oil and White Spirit. The parts of the mill that will come into contact with material being ground will be cleaned back to bare metal.

This is a plate mill and the reversible plates are in good condition having plenty of life left in them also the white metal main shaft bearings are in great condition only having a few light surface scratches, the previous owner/s must have regularly added lubricant to the oil cups during its use. I will have to replace the wooden sides of the 'shaker' chute which have succumbed to rot and woodworm. I am also having to fashion some form of hopper as the original is missing.

I intend to use the mill without it's cast iron base as it almost doubles the weight and size of the machine. I will fit some industrial castors to the working mill to make it easier to get in and out of the van.

Anyway here are a few pics so far:

'Imperial' Corn Mill Untit419
As I purchased it

'Imperial' Corn Mill Untit420
It's base

'Imperial' Corn Mill Untit421
I will install castors to where it was fastened to it's base

'Imperial' Corn Mill Untit422

'Imperial' Corn Mill Untit423
The design date seen here is in conflict with a registration date painted on the base

'Imperial' Corn Mill Untit424

'Imperial' Corn Mill Untit425
The parts marked with chalk lines will be cleaned back to bare metal

'Imperial' Corn Mill Untit426
The tape measure is there to judge the scale of the parts

More to come as I go along.
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down