www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Corn mill that I need help with. Newbie alert

3 posters

Go down

Corn mill that I need help with. Newbie alert Empty Corn mill that I need help with. Newbie alert

Post by Carl Ray Tue Jun 04 2019, 11:41

Hi all. Thanks for addition to the group. Reason for my adding is that I have inherited a corn mill from my grandfather and have no idea of its value or if they are common etc. I'm not sure what to do with it if I'm honestCorn mill that I need help with. Newbie alert 20190410
Corn mill that I need help with. Newbie alert 20190412
Corn mill that I need help with. Newbie alert 20190411

Carl Ray

Back to top Go down

Corn mill that I need help with. Newbie alert Empty Re: Corn mill that I need help with. Newbie alert

Post by Garak Tue Jun 04 2019, 13:27

You do not say what model it is but in general the smaller ones are more desirable due to their size. I restored a Rapid Grinding mill earlier this year it was a model 1C and was still a handful even on steerable castors due to the weight. Yours seems to be in good condition but I would take a look at the fixed and revolving grinding plates as if these are worn down it will not grind anything (check the back side of the two larger outer plates as these are reversible so may be OK on the other side). It has an incorrect sticker on the hopper and the sack hanger is missing. Also check the bronze bearings at either end of the drive shaft for up & down movement and check if the feed shaker mechanism is working OK.

After a full restoration mine sold for £550

The grinding plates should look like this:

Corn mill that I need help with. Newbie alert Untit167

Corn mill that I need help with. Newbie alert Untit168

Mine restored:

Corn mill that I need help with. Newbie alert Untit169

And grinding corn:

Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Corn mill that I need help with. Newbie alert Empty Re: Corn mill that I need help with. Newbie alert

Post by Carl Ray Tue Jun 04 2019, 14:37

Oh fabulous. Thankyou so much matey

Carl Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by philipagri Sun Jun 09 2019, 12:42

[quote="Garak"]You do not say what model it is but in general the smaller ones are more desirable due to their size. I restored a Rapid Grinding mill earlier this year it was a model 1C and was still a handful even on steerable castors due to the weight. Yours seems to be in good condition but I would take a look at the fixed and revolving grinding plates as if these are worn down it will not grind anything (check the back side of the two larger outer plates as these are reversible so may be OK on the other side). It has an incorrect sticker on the hopper and the sack hanger is missing. Also check the bronze bearings at either end of the drive shaft for up & down movement and check if the feed shaker mechanism is working OK.

I bought a Bamford no1 mill at a sale yesterday, so before I go any further I thought I better check the things you suggest. I have the cover off the grinding plates but am confronted with a large nut which I can't move on the shaft holding them together. Before I start using 'heavy persuasion' can you tell me is it a right or left hand thread please.
Philip
philipagri
philipagri
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Tue Jun 11 2019, 14:57

philipagri wrote:
I bought a Bamford no1 mill at a sale yesterday, so before I go any further I thought I better check the things you suggest. I have the cover off the grinding plates but am confronted with a large nut which I can't move on the shaft holding them together. Before I start using 'heavy persuasion' can you tell me is it a right or left hand thread please.
Philip

If I remember correctly it's a left hand thread
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by philipagri Wed Jun 12 2019, 17:07

Thanks, I'll try that
Philip
philipagri
philipagri

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down