www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Boulton & Paul no 1 pump

Go down

Boulton &  Paul no 1 pump Empty Boulton & Paul no 1 pump

Post by Albo Fri Oct 28 2022, 06:50

My eldest son recently bought a Boulton &Paul pump no1 ,pump number 509. He did manage to run it after cleaning the valve faces and seats ( the valves were in good order). It did pump...although not as well as it should...but with quite a bit of water coming out of the stuffing box and wiper...and entering the pumps sump. So a major strip down was needed. This revealed disintegrating leather pump cups....together with rusty and broken pump cup supports and spacer. I turned new ones on the lathe...and made a steel press for the new leathers ( which were wet formed in the said press). Stripping the stuffing box revealed very dry and disintegrated stuffing. This was replaced with new graphited square section yarn of the correct size. The wiper assembly was also disintegrated ( hence the leakage in to the sump). I made a new wiper from delrin..and turned it so thin section graphite yarn would surround the pump rod. In my excitement to assemble and see if it would be successful, I forgot to take photos of it. When he next came round...we reassembled it to see if it would work. The pump leathers were soaked in neatsfoot oil to make them supple before assembly. He connected it to his lister engine..primed the pump...and was delighted to see it pump at full pressure as it should. He then re stripped it...cleaned and painted in red oxide...followed by black enamel. He is now making a trolley for it so it can be run at the local shows next year. He is very proud of it as we live in norfolk...and Boulton&Paul was a local company. To date, we still don't know if boulton&paul made the pump or just rebadged someone else's....as there a quite a few similar pumps out there made by other manufacturers...and very little information on boulton & paul pumps

Albo
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down