www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Using phosphoric acid prior to undercoat

3 posters

Go down

Using phosphoric acid prior to undercoat Empty Using phosphoric acid prior to undercoat

Post by Endckr111 Sat Nov 26 2022, 08:18

Hi,
This might of been covered before but wasn’t able to find any reference to it.
When prepping Lister D for painting, I intend to wire brush crankcase to bear metal, then apply a diluted phosphoric acid solution
What I would like to get clarification on, (1) do you wash it off before it dries, and (2) would it react to the undercoat if left on? I will be using Paragon Anti Corrosive Zinc Phosphate Grey Primer
I’m more inclined to wash it off, dry, give casting a final quick rub down then apply undercoat
Once again your comments greatly appreciated!
Mark

Endckr111
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Using phosphoric acid prior to undercoat Empty Re: Using phosphoric acid prior to undercoat

Post by Andywaters Sat Nov 26 2022, 08:49

Hi Mark I'm not at all familiar with the stuff but I do wonder why you think you need it?
Since starting this hobby a little over a year ago I've stripped back to bare metal 7 engines and 5 water pumps. Before priming I wash them with white spirit and kitchen towel until there's no blackness left on the towels then leave to dry.

I buy this 6 cans at a time making it very cheap. Its almost £12 a can locally so a big difference
https://trade-mart.co.uk/products/action-can-rx-90-red-oxide-primer-ral-3009-500ml

As with any painting method try it on something that's not important firs.

If you're stripping back to bare metal mechanically there won't be any rust left that the primer won't fix

Using phosphoric acid prior to undercoat 3CD7A59E-8CCA-467E-8DEE-2ED8BACA7F96-X2
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Using phosphoric acid prior to undercoat Empty Re: Using phosphoric acid prior to undercoat

Post by Endckr111 Sat Nov 26 2022, 09:14

Thanks Andy, yes brushing to bear metal, then a rinse with white spirit does seem an easy option, just I know there will be some small hidden areas that are rust traps ready to jump out! So using phosphoric acid to get to thoses areas was my intention.
I could still apply phosphoric acid, rinse dry then go over with white spirit prior to painting
I do like the undercoat spray you mention! Any idea what temperature that will stand up to?
Mark

Endckr111
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Andywaters Sat Nov 26 2022, 10:32

No I don’t know but it’s on all my engines so as hot or hotter than any of them
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sat Nov 26 2022, 13:52

The worst that can happen is the green will go darker over time.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down