www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

flywheel stuck on

4 posters

Go down

flywheel stuck on  Empty flywheel stuck on

Post by petchar Tue Sep 19 2023, 09:31

hi everyone , the gib key is broken on my lister D engine , there is no room to weld on , is it possible to drill it out ?  thanks Sad

petchar
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

flywheel stuck on  Empty Re: flywheel stuck on

Post by cranium Tue Sep 19 2023, 15:06

Petchar,
It is feasible but difficult. A case of "think before you act" or as an old fitter used to tell me " a little bit of head saves an awful lot of hands".
You might consider making a 'drilling jig' of sorts, to fit a suitable sized long-series or extention drill, which neatly fits the keybed, to hold the drill dead parallel with the crankshaft. Remember the gib key is tapered so the deeper you drill, the greater chance of hitting the keyway in the flywheel or in the shaft. Over past years Stationary Engine magazine has had many examples of such improvised equipment for this job; it just depends on what you have in your scrap box to make something up with. As the flywheel is not spoked, and therefore not under some stress, a bit of heat from a carefully applied blowlamp helps too; allow it to cool right off before heating again.
Hope this helps
Eric

cranium
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by petchar Fri Sep 22 2023, 13:30

thanks again Eric , luckily a flywheel came up for sale very cheap , i cut the old one off , saved me loads of trouble Smile

petchar
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Sat Sep 23 2023, 13:27

Your new flywheel will have a non original engine number stamped into it, so you may wish to address that.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cranium Sat Sep 23 2023, 20:09

I had the same thought; a bit of a drastic move......! How do you "cut a Lister D flywheel off"? I guess it follows the modern trend to 'replace' rather than effect a skilled repair.
E

cranium
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sat Sep 23 2023, 21:46

What I find difficult to understand is the effort to cut a D flywheel apart against using simple basic methods to remove the flywheel complete and un damaged.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by petchar Sun Sep 24 2023, 08:40

Had I not found the other flywheel I would have had to find another way , it has the original number on it and its the same as mine and its in fair condition with no damage , I was afraid of doing more damage trying to remove the gib pin there was no room to weld on a lug . .thanks for your interest . Smile

petchar
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sun Sep 24 2023, 08:48

The number you refer to is the casting part no, blue cat was refering to the engine serial no which is usually stamped on the rims of the flywheels.
Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by petchar Sun Sep 24 2023, 09:52

thanks i will give them a closer look

petchar
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down