www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Bamford EG3 backfire when trying to crank it up.

5 posters

Go down

Bamford EG3 backfire when trying to crank it up. Empty Bamford EG3 backfire when trying to crank it up.

Post by Dave Cooper Sun Sep 24 2023, 13:36

Can anyone give me advice on the following for a Bamford EG3 that backfires badly when I try to start it :- When should the "impulse" occur on the Lucas Magneto, is it at Top Dead Centre or how many degrees before or after TDC ?
What is points gap when points fully open ? Sparkplug gap and recommended plug ? Anything else I should be thinking about before it finally "eats" me would be much appreciated.

Dave Cooper

Back to top Go down

Bamford EG3 backfire when trying to crank it up. Empty Re: Bamford EG3 backfire when trying to crank it up.

Post by maryalice Sun Sep 24 2023, 15:51

Assuming its the same size as my lister D the points should open about 2" before top dead centre, I would give the points a 13 thou gap.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Bamford EG3 backfire when trying to crank it up. Empty Re: Bamford EG3 backfire when trying to crank it up.

Post by chrismac Sun Sep 24 2023, 21:44

I am sure the correct way to set the impulse is by setting it in reverse, thats how I did it many years ago on my EV4, I'll try and find the procedure.

chrismac
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Rookesy Mon Sep 25 2023, 09:47

This may sound bizarre but I had an EV2 that had a vicious backfire on starting unless the spark plug was very clean. I had to wire brush it every time even if there was no carbon etc, I never worked out why. Once clean it would start easily and run all day

Rookesy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Mon Sep 25 2023, 10:16

I didn't think that the Lucas mags on the Bamford EG series actually had an impulse fitted, the Wico ones certainly did though?

Pete.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismac Sun Oct 08 2023, 21:15

Here is the page out the manual, can you find the SPARK-R on the flywheel, mine were in a terrible condition and I think I found it, I also remember I had 2 lengths of masking tape working out what was happening where,
Bamford EG3 backfire when trying to crank it up. 53244406450_6f76706d7e_zUntitled by chrismac2012, on Flickr

Good luck

chrismac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down