www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

my new project a twin cylinder jap model 55 petrol parrafin engine

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine Empty my new project a twin cylinder jap model 55 petrol parrafin engine

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Oct 16 2012, 16:31

ve got my eye on a jap twin 5 that a 55 model me thinks??
its a petrol /parrafin one thou, of a massey harris baler
but it maybe a fair old lump to rally so maybe a 1000 engine rally only one
if i get it for the price i offered
kev

Last edited by kevjhnsn on Thu Nov 01 2012, 01:46; edited 1 time in total

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine Empty Re: my new project a twin cylinder jap model 55 petrol parrafin engine

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Oct 28 2012, 01:07

well i know have a petrol parrafin jap 55 twin cylinder in my collection   shed of future projects
got a broken mag
so had a root in stores lol  
and found a good casting doner
my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6619
my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6620
my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6621
my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6622
have cleaned it up and started the mag  rebuild
maybe in vain for this engine
but time will tell
its not much heavyer than the single 5 jap i have but the twin is alloy block and the single is cast iron so makes sense realy
kev

Last edited by kevjhnsn on Tue Dec 31 2013, 13:51; edited 2 times in total

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine Empty Re: my new project a twin cylinder jap model 55 petrol parrafin engine

Post by Ianhw77k Sun Oct 28 2012, 09:59

Excellent news mate, can't wait to see some pictures. That really is something different, I think I've seen pictures of them in the JAP manual I used to have but never seen one in the flesh. Lucky old you Smile
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28 2012, 11:28

Good luck with the twin and hope you can sort the mag out as that should be a nice runner when finished.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Oct 28 2012, 22:58

stu
i have the remains of a series a mag from one of my wolseleys,
so ive used that as the casing and used as always the best of both
all set up just waiting for the pistons to soak in the kj cocktail and see if it moves over
the engine is coming apart quite well and all internals look like new
even the sump oil is as clean as new greeny yellow coloured
and can see the bottom of the sump through it and that is also clean
so see what happens over night and see if things start to move tomorrow
pics to follow in 20-30 mins
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Oct 29 2012, 03:54

my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6614
started soaking the nuts and bolts ect and removed the dust screen from the flywheel
my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6615
second flywheel and cast pulley also complete oilbath airfilter system
my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6616
its a gunky dirty cruddy musty rusty OMG project i must be mental to of bought this rust bucket
my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6617
petrol /parrafin out lets from tank
my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6618
change over tap on carb zenith 24t2
my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6610
just started the strip down of sick magneto
my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6611
what a cracker affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid
my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6613
a few waves of the kj wand and " tad -dar"
kev

Last edited by kevjhnsn on Mon Oct 29 2012, 04:30; edited 1 time in total

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Oct 29 2012, 04:15

my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6623
original transfer on the fuel tank
my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6624
engine numbers
my new project    a twin cylinder  jap model  55   petrol parrafin engine 101_6625
this is the first firing from the engine lol lol
the kj cocktail after 20hrs soaking ,now giving it the thermal treatment
when i get up tomorrow "it will be as free as a bird" affraid affraid affraid or
at least in know i was wrong and its the other piston stuck Embarassed Embarassed
kev

Last edited by kevjhnsn on Thu Mar 07 2013, 22:58; edited 1 time in total

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Mon Oct 29 2012, 09:39

What a stunning engine, that'll look a treat when its finished. Must be pretty rare as well.
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29 2012, 11:29

Your working well Kev, are you going to get it running first before you strip and paint?
Should make an interesting project and I'll follow the write up of it. Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Oct 30 2012, 03:10

ian and stu
ian
well ive only ever seen one other twin jap
that was 2 yrs ago, on ebay and was only a petrol one at that,
with just a standard 1 gallon round tank and no air/oil bath filter .

STU
yes stu just got it turning over this lunchtime ,so i soaked the right piston Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
the bore in cylinder 2 "the firey one is in good order and the valves are looking good to no need for the lapping paste Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
the carb and fuel change over tap have been freed off and cleaned ready to work

Sad Sad Sad Sad the magneto i used for the casting that looked like it was the right mounting offset is not the write offset ,now the guvernoir linkage and levers are freed off and working again the mag is fouling the linkage Sad Sad Sad
when the mag cracked it must of wound the main body around and bent the impulse trip stud over and forced the mag body ,to the other side were it cracked the chunk out ,so i need a mag WICO SERIES A ,with a 10 o`clock, B.T.D.C mounting for the jap range ,
with the operset angle of 2 o`clock A.T.D.C than for wolseleys

ANYONE WITH A DONER " SERIES A IMPULSE MAG " FOR A JAP ENGINE FLANGE MOUNTED NOT BASE
please let me know Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy even if the coils knackered in it, as i have a good coil points condenser ect in the two i have here
pritty please lads help

also jap and a villiers diesel crank handle are needed too
were with the engines when i found them ,but the lads dug them out of the sheds and left the handles in there som were before throwing a mountain of super 7s and trikes bits back in the sheds to the roofs Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Mad Mad Mad Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

so the jap will be finished off being descaled exterally and the head stuck back on and all the panels until i find a mag for it
as i will need the head off number one cylinder to set the mag up
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Oct 30 2012, 05:06

also forgot i snapped a plug off in the head at the treads
so ive drillled it and filled it to the max and poked the remains out of the threads with a watch menders screw driver
so saved the head and no need for helicoiling Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Tue Oct 30 2012, 09:26

Sounds good so far Kev, shame you're stumbling on that mag though, also a bit cheeky of the seller not to get you those handles I reckon. They could at least have a dig around in their spare time.
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 30 2012, 10:32

Kev I've got a Jap mag but I need it for my Jap can't remember which engine it's for now as I've a Jap 3 and 4 but not a 5. I think I can put my hands on it if there's anything you need to know about it.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Oct 30 2012, 23:47

thanks for the offer stu mate
but the smaller japs have the wico/wipac with the rear stop button and alloy curved rear ,to my knowlage anyway mate" study study
if yours is no good when you need it,
i have a spare one for the smaller japs in my shed ,i reconed and used on the petter a for a while i repaired its own mag
shame there different to the series a,
or i would of stuck it on ,but the distributer goes on the round tin caps only Sad Sad Sad Sad
while i repaired its own mag Very Happy Very Happy
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31 2012, 11:09

Kev I got the mag in a box of spares I bought on ebay along with a Jap and a BSA, I tested the mag and it does have a spark so it should be fine when I get round to fitting it. Now you've got me thinking what's wrong with the JAP as far as restoring it, I think I should number the engines and make a note of what's wrong it could make things easier in the future. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Oct 31 2012, 15:29

buy it
check it
feckle it
note it
find it
fit it
finish it
run it.
that the way i try to do it
or i would have a pile of scrap looking engines ,woundering which to do first
mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Oct 31 2012, 16:23

kevjhnsn wrote:buy it
check it
feckle it
note it
find it
fit it
finish it
run it.
that the way i try to do it
or i would have a pile of scrap looking engines ,woundering which to do first
mate
kev

I'm starting to run into these problems myself, even with my small collection. Trouble is you commit so much info to memory. Thankfully my memory is good, to a point. I have a few different engines in bits in the workshop at the moment, but I am managing to keep things in some sort of order.

It's all too easy to get in a muddle with these things. I'm trying my best to keep things in some sort of order & get one engine complete at a time before starting on another.

It's great to finally see some pics of one of these JAP twins, it's an engine I've known about for many years but never actually seen one. Keep up the good work & good luck sourcing that mag. Have you thought if a Petter A mag would fit? I've got a feeling some of those have a different offset....

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Oct 31 2012, 17:16

yes the petter a one on some models with the WICO series A impulse mag ,with the black top and round tin cover on the rear when fitted to the petter leans out wards at the top ,away from the engine
so when fitted to the jap ,it should be the right one mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Wed Oct 31 2012, 20:57

What? Like this one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261120130108?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Must say, I've never seen one of these before either, seems to be a trait to have the twins petrol/tvo (or paraffin).
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Oct 31 2012, 21:58

must of been the way is was , cheaper fuel to run the twins on than that simple good old petrol Smile
and yes that is the mag as a complete 2 cylinder set up
but the same single cylinder one will do for what i need as i have the hevy duty bits and the twin conversion dizzy cap and points ,different top cap ect ect
so this style mag with the tin end cap or with out thetwin setup would be nice to find ,as a good casting and mounting plate and i will do the rest
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Oct 31 2012, 22:29

Ianhw77k wrote:What? Like this one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261120130108?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Must say, I've never seen one of these before either, seems to be a trait to have the twins petrol/tvo (or paraffin).

Wish you hadn't found that!

How far is Wickford from here??? study

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Nov 01 2012, 02:25

looks like "nutgone" to buy an other engine Very Happy lol! Very Happy
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Thu Nov 01 2012, 09:40

nutgone wrote:

Wish you hadn't found that!

How far is Wickford from here??? study

About 60 miles, EACH WAY!!!!!!!!!
(No I'm not doing it!)

Mind you, at that price it is tempting but it doesn't look nearly as well built as the JAP twin.
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 12:00

That is a nice looking Petter twin and if the price stays low it could be a nice addition to your collect Nuts Wink all this talk of twins has got me thinking I haven't got one hmmmm. Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Nov 01 2012, 12:19

Much as I would love a twin, I think a 120 mile round trip is a little excessive, & I'm treading on very thin ice with engines at the moment, mainly due to my lack of storage space.

I think the next engine I buy will be one for Ian's boys to restore, so it'll be water cooled with a cast iron flywheel & nice & basic (so they can start to understand how engines actually work).

Ian & me already have a twin which needs restoring, it's the Douglas flat twin WW2 generating set, & it's still stuck under a tarp in my sister's garden.

I'm keeping a watch on that Petter anyway, just in case. I don't think I've ever seen a twin one of those before, you certainly don't see many on the rally fields round here.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next