www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

petter type A 1.5 BHP

4 posters

Go down

petter type A 1.5 BHP Empty petter type A 1.5 BHP

Post by frosty2570 Tue Oct 16 2012, 21:43

Hi all - just wondering if anyone can help me. I have got an old Petter type A stationary engine that I can't get sparking properly. It has a lucas SR1 magneto with impulse start and a Zenith three piece carb. The trouble is that when I turn the engine over with the starting handle at slow speed the impulse start works with a spark that would restart hearts, but as soon as I speed up winding the handle she stops sparking completely and the impulse stops working {stops clicking}. Has anybody got any ideas ? Anybody out there got a workshop manual they would be willing to let me have a look at ? or can tell me where I can get one ? I would appreciate any help, cheers .

frosty2570

Back to top Go down

petter type A 1.5 BHP Empty Re: petter type A 1.5 BHP

Post by Abes Tue Oct 16 2012, 23:05

If its a manual for the Petter A1 your after mate give us a shout and ill send you a copy

frosty2570 wrote:Hi all - just wondering if anyone can help me. I have got an old Petter type A stationary engine that I can't get sparking properly. It has a lucas SR1 magneto with impulse start and a Zenith three piece carb. The trouble is that when I turn the engine over with the starting handle at slow speed the impulse start works with a spark that would restart hearts, but as soon as I speed up winding the handle she stops sparking completely and the impulse stops working {stops clicking}. Has anybody got any ideas ? Anybody out there got a workshop manual they would be willing to let me have a look at ? or can tell me where I can get one ? I would appreciate any help, cheers .

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Tue Oct 16 2012, 23:23

Abes wrote:If its a manual for the Petter A1 your after mate give us a shout and ill send you a copy

frosty2570 wrote:Hi all - just wondering if anyone can help me. I have got an old Petter type A stationary engine that I can't get sparking properly. It has a lucas SR1 magneto with impulse start and a Zenith three piece carb. The trouble is that when I turn the engine over with the starting handle at slow speed the impulse start works with a spark that would restart hearts, but as soon as I speed up winding the handle she stops sparking completely and the impulse stops working {stops clicking}. Has anybody got any ideas ? Anybody out there got a workshop manual they would be willing to let me have a look at ? or can tell me where I can get one ? I would appreciate any help, cheers .

Its the Petter A1 series 1 if its a lucas mag, frosty does it have a brass makers plate by any chance?

I have the manual for series II on paper only, had a look and no real clues.

Is the plug good and clean? are the points clean? Giving a good spark on impulse is a good sign that your mag is generaly ok, it will stop if you wind it to 165rpm leaving normal non retarded ign to continue, if you plug is weak it will give spark under impulse only but will probably also fail under compression.

If you fancy the drive to along the coast to southampton one afternoon I'd be happy to have a look with you.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

petter type A 1.5 BHP Empty PETTER A TYPE

Post by frosty2570 Tue Oct 16 2012, 23:48

ABES : Thanks for the offer - on my brass plate on the top of the engine with the serial number, etc it just says 'A Type'. I am a bit new to engines of this age so I am not sure if it is just 'A' or 'A1' or whatever. I presume the manual for an 'A' type would cover all the 'A's' with variation noted - if so, I would very much appreciate a copy. Let me know how you want to proceed because I am new to all this.

BLACKVANMAN:The plug is clean as are the points but it stops sparking long before 165rpm. That is a very generous offer to have a look with me which I may well take you up on although I can't drive at the moment due to a shoulder operation but maybe in a week or two if that's good with you?

MANY, MANY THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU

frosty2570

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Oct 17 2012, 00:02

frosty2570 wrote:ABES : Thanks for the offer - on my brass plate on the top of the engine with the serial number, etc it just says 'A Type'. I am a bit new to engines of this age so I am not sure if it is just 'A' or 'A1' or whatever. I presume the manual for an 'A' type would cover all the 'A's' with variation noted - if so, I would very much appreciate a copy. Let me know how you want to proceed because I am new to all this.

BLACKVANMAN:The plug is clean as are the points but it stops sparking long before 165rpm. That is a very generous offer to have a look with me which I may well take you up on although I can't drive at the moment due to a shoulder operation but maybe in a week or two if that's good with you?

MANY, MANY THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU

just pm me any time, don't be messing your shoulder up more Smile
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17 2012, 10:53

When you try to start turn the engine til it starts compression then just flick it over, don't just stand trying to turn as fast as you can.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Oct 23 2012, 00:24

Where abouts are you in East Sussex? I'm down near Eastbourne, could always pop over & have a look with you if you like, I could always pop one of mine in the car, we could have a mini-crank-up? (just a thought).

It sounds to me like your mag is having problems. An impulse starter not only retards the timing but flicks the mag over the firing point at higher speed therefore producing a much better spark. I have test meters which can test mag coils now (I recently got my old Avo Mk.7 going & have an old Megger tester as well as a few multimeters) so we can rule that out, I also have some mag spanners, spare condensers & plenty of experience with the dreaded Lucas SR1 (& some experience with Petter A1's as well). I've even got my brother's old SR1 mag in the workshop, the coil's knackered, but the rest of it's good.

I'm away this weekend, camping, but still in Sussex (going to Bodium, on the Kent border) but could possibly get over next week, unless you're close to where I'm camping?

Anyway, it's up to you. You can always PM me a phone number if you like. I'm running out of things to do here & have lots of time on my hands, so itching to get another engine going.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23 2012, 11:26

Nice one Matt, that sounds like a good offer of help just wish I lived closer I've a few jobs that could keep you busy lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down