www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Wolseley project

+3
nutgone
Foden
matt86
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wolseley project Empty Wolseley project

Post by Abes Sun May 12 2013, 18:19

Aquired this last weekend great little runner so no strip down required for this engine though it did need a bit of a general clean up so with that in mind off came the tank and carb and out came the jet washer, after a througher clean and drying off it was reblackened and the lettering repainted gold, the tank/brass and copper were then all polished and everything was then reassembled including changing the tank strap nuts and bolts to something more in keeping with the engine ie imperial ones, only other job to do is knock up a new steerable trolley for it, engine is going to be used to run a generator though in two minds if they should both go on the one trolley will decide later, sorry about the quality on pics but had to do them in the shed as was raining

Wolseley project P5120012
Wolseley project P5120013

Last edited by Abes on Sun May 12 2013, 22:53; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Wolseley project Empty Re: Wolseley project

Post by matt86 Sun May 12 2013, 19:20

Abes it is a cracking engine .

From what you say should look cracking once its done ... a nice trolley would set it off !

If your after a small dynamo i have one . Its a 110V one .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sun May 12 2013, 20:03

A decent trolley will compliment it niceley Abes, have you found out a date for the engine yet? Considering that it spent nearly 40 years on a boat winch it has survived well, it must have been kept pretty free of salt water!

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun May 12 2013, 20:34

Hi Pete yes found out the date its 1946, due to its history was tempted to pair it up with a small winch and a couple of lobster pots but not sure how to go about making it into a moving display so put that idea on hold for now hence pairing it up with a generator

Foden wrote:A decent trolley will compliment it niceley Abes, have you found out a date for the engine yet? Considering that it spent nearly 40 years on a boat winch it has survived well, it must have been kept pretty free of salt water!

Pete.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sun May 12 2013, 23:36

Looking good Abes, and now I have a good pic of that drip tray so I can copy it Very Happy

PS those eggs were bloody lovely, thank the chickens for me Smile

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon May 13 2013, 00:03

Abes, how do you get on using a jet washer on the engines? I'm thinking about using one myself.

Do you go to any special lengths to make sure it doesn't get into the sump & mag? (plastic bag on the mag? Or take it off). Did you say you take the tank & carb off? Do you use any special detergent in the syphon pipe thingy?

I hate cleaning engines, would love to make the job a bit easier but always worry about getting water inside the engine with a jet wash. Perhaps you could walk us through it? I've got some driveway cleaner (made by Swarfega) which says it can be used in a jet washer, wonder if that would be any good, it's only degreaser at the end of the day.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to say; she looks lovely. Should make a really nice exhibit once you give your touches to it. 👍

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13 2013, 13:17

It does look a cracking engine and maybe as some have said it could maybe do with a lighter trolley made up for it. Are you leaving the tank the way it is or is it going to be painted?

Nuts when using a pressure wash just keep it away from the important bits, mag etc and don't spray directly into engine holes, such as oil filler or carb intake and you sould be ok. If for your peace of mind you could use plastic bags but you'll need them secure as the pressure will soon blow them off if there a bit loose. I'd use a de-greaser on it's own first to soak the engine and maybe give it a scrub where the dirt has built up, then use a soap or road traffic film remover to clean off as the de-greaser straight into the pressure washer won't help very much if any.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon May 13 2013, 15:33

Cheers for that Stu. I would love to hear from anyone else who uses one as well. Does anyone do anything differently? Has anyone ever checked to find water in the sump afterwards or would you normally change the oil afterwards anyway?

I guess the best thing would be the steam cleaners or hot wash machines like they use on cars, vans, lorries, tractors etc. But those require special drainage with 3 stage interceptors etc etc. They're more for the proper commercial set-ups. But must be useful if you work somewhere that has one. (Think Matt86 says he gets occasional use of a hot wash, lucky so&so Laughing He's missing out on all the fun you know, good old Gunk & some old toothbrushes Very Happy )

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14 2013, 12:59

Nuts you could always call in at your local garage car wash (lance type only the roller brush type are no use Laughing Laughing Laughing ) and use there hot wash.

Good idea to change the oil but if your careful there shouldn't be much gets into the sump.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun May 19 2013, 20:34

Quick update as at a loose end today thought id make a start on a new trolley for the Wolseley, here's the progress so far woodwork nearly all done just need to make a little toolbox to go on the end the whole thing will then just be oiled, wheels all cleaned up not sure if too keep them this colour or spray black to go with the engine will also need to make up some new axels as the orignal ones are a little on the ruff side, engine at the moment is sat on my workshop trolley so there's no great rush but do need it all finished by early next month as taking it to a little one day ralley

Wolseley project P5190010
Wolseley project P5190011
Wolseley project P5190012
Wolseley project P5190013
Wolseley project P5190014
Wolseley project P5190015

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20 2013, 12:47

You've got some good skills when it comes to woodworking Abes, that trolley looks spot on and once it's oiled up it will look the dogs danglies. Wink Very Happy

I think black wheels myself, but would you like to take a vote on it? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Mon May 20 2013, 19:00

LOL cheers mate more luck than judgement, to through another spanner in the works with reference the colour of the wheels a mate suggested red which also takes my fancy too, looks like it might go down to a vote now lol.
Managed to get a bit more done on it this evening, woodwork has now had its first coat of engine oil, axels have been cut as have the bearers just need drilling and welding up will put some pics up when done

stationary stu wrote:You've got some good skills when it comes to woodworking Abes, that trolley looks spot on and once it's oiled up it will look the dogs danglies. Wink Very Happy

I think black wheels myself, but would you like to take a vote on it? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon May 20 2013, 19:21

Different colour wheels might break things up a bit. They are usually painted black, but then most engines aren't. So with a black engine, something different on the wheels might follow.

Best ask a woman Abes, they know about these things. Wink Laughing

I would just paint them with whatever colour was nearest, or which ever I had most of or hadn't used in a while (or a combination of all 3).

Sorry, not much help, am I? Very Happy

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Mon May 20 2013, 20:16

LOL Mrs thought gold would be nice dont think so, how about red but with a red HT lead too ummmmmm

nutgone wrote:Different colour wheels might break things up a bit. They are usually painted black, but then most engines aren't. So with a black engine, something different on the wheels might follow.

I would just paint them with whatever colour was nearest, or which ever I had most of or hadn't used in a while (or a combination of all 3).

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon May 20 2013, 20:33

Abes wrote:LOL Mrs thought gold would be nice dont think so, how about red but with a red HT lead too ummmmmm

nutgone wrote:Different colour wheels might break things up a bit. They are usually painted black, but then most engines aren't. So with a black engine, something different on the wheels might follow.

abes i do like red wheels on trolleys but i think there has got to be either a dark coloured engine or dark wood for the trolley.

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Mon May 20 2013, 22:13

How about dark engine and dark wood will that do then lol

matt86 wrote:
Abes wrote:LOL Mrs thought gold would be nice dont think so, how about red but with a red HT lead too ummmmmm

abes i do like red wheels on trolleys but i think there has got to be either a dark coloured engine or dark wood for the trolley.

matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon May 20 2013, 22:21

that will do it mate .

give it a go , you can allways paint over it .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon May 20 2013, 23:27

Red might go well with the red HT lead. It's nice if it "goes" with something else on the engine, no matter how small.

Gold would go with the brass work, but could be a bit too much (a bit over-powering), silver would go with the nice shiny tank, but silver wheels tend to look a bit too modern.

So maybe red??? scratch

Oh sod it! Who looks at the wheels anyway? lol!

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 21 2013, 11:56

Gold is a good choice, remember the old John Player racing cars and ciggy packets they looked good black and gold.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7phrdFkW91qbq1mdo1_500.jpg

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Tue May 21 2013, 20:32

Think the colour of the wheels will be put on the back burner as after giving the wheels a good wash quite like the colour so will wait and see for the moment lol, well tonight was welding night now dont get me wrong where welding is concerned iam pretty crap but i can melt two bits of metal together with the best of them plus after a good clean up with the angle grinder and a file the welds never look to bad so after a couple of hours axels are now together with just the holes to drill, the last pic is my jig i made up to hold everything in place while it was spot welded pics below

Wolseley project P5210010
Wolseley project P5210011
Wolseley project P5210012
Wolseley project P5210013
Wolseley project P5210014
Wolseley project P5210015

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue May 21 2013, 21:29

looking great abes . How is the welding coming along ? you getting any better at it after some practicing ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue May 21 2013, 22:13

Your welding looks OK to me Abes. I always preferred an Arc welder when I did welding at college anyway, & the thicker the better as far as the metal was concerned. I also liked gas welding (TIG is very similar) & brazing. Never got the hang of a MIG though, but I didn't get much time to play with welders when I was at college.

I've been practising with my arc welder whenever I get the chance, I could do with some more scrap metal to practise on though. I've ordered some 1.6mm rods to have a go at some really thin stuff.

It's practise that makes perfect, & like you say, it all looks fine after some grinding & filing. 👍

Didn't you weld the petrol tank mountings on the Scott? They looked fine to me. It's off to it's first rally this weekend (should I be worried??? scratch I don't think so).

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Tue May 21 2013, 22:48

Thats the problem really dont get enough practice lol, yer did the welding on the tank brackets but took a lot of doing and some use with the grinder, ref the Scott when do i get to see a vid of it running then you did promise lol

nutgone wrote:Your welding looks OK to me Abes. I always preferred an Arc welder when I did welding at college anyway, & the thicker the better as far as the metal was concerned. I also liked gas welding (TIG is very similar) & brazing. Never got the hang of a MIG though, but I didn't get much time to play with welders when I was at college.

I've been practising with my arc welder whenever I get the chance, I could do with some more scrap metal to practise on though. I've ordered some 1.6mm rods to have a go at some really thin stuff.

It's practise that makes perfect, & like you say, it all looks fine after some grinding & filing. 👍

Didn't you weld the petrol tank mountings on the Scott? They looked fine to me. It's off to it's first rally this weekend (should I be worried??? scratch I don't think so).

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Tue May 21 2013, 22:50

LOL no not really but getting a dab hand with the grinder

matt86 wrote:looking great abes . How is the welding coming along ? you getting any better at it after some practicing ?

matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue May 21 2013, 23:53

Abes wrote:, ref the Scott when do i get to see a vid of it running then you did promise lol

There are a couple of vids on my YouTube, think I linked to them somewhere on here (could be in the videos section, or pride & joy). I will get plenty more pics & vids at the rally this coming weekend, can't wait (it's my 1st proper show this season bounce spent the weekend cleaning the caravan & getting it all ready). 👍

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next