www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Wolseley project

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wolseley project

Post by Abes on Sun May 12 2013, 17:19

Aquired this last weekend great little runner so no strip down required for this engine though it did need a bit of a general clean up so with that in mind off came the tank and carb and out came the jet washer, after a througher clean and drying off it was reblackened and the lettering repainted gold, the tank/brass and copper were then all polished and everything was then reassembled including changing the tank strap nuts and bolts to something more in keeping with the engine ie imperial ones, only other job to do is knock up a new steerable trolley for it, engine is going to be used to run a generator though in two minds if they should both go on the one trolley will decide later, sorry about the quality on pics but had to do them in the shed as was raining




Last edited by Abes on Sun May 12 2013, 21:53; edited 1 time in total

_________________
affraid A stationary engine is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you get that nice warm feeling: affraid

Abes
Admin

Posts : 1271
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 57
Location : Ringwood

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by matt86 on Sun May 12 2013, 18:20

Abes it is a cracking engine .

From what you say should look cracking once its done ... a nice trolley would set it off !

If your after a small dynamo i have one . Its a 110V one .

matt

matt86
Admin

Posts : 5581
Join date : 2011-03-29
Age : 30
Location : swindon/ faringdon

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by Foden on Sun May 12 2013, 19:03

A decent trolley will compliment it niceley Abes, have you found out a date for the engine yet? Considering that it spent nearly 40 years on a boat winch it has survived well, it must have been kept pretty free of salt water!

Pete.

_________________
Too much to do, and so little time!!

Foden
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 1123
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 65
Location : North Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by Abes on Sun May 12 2013, 19:34

Hi Pete yes found out the date its 1946, due to its history was tempted to pair it up with a small winch and a couple of lobster pots but not sure how to go about making it into a moving display so put that idea on hold for now hence pairing it up with a generator

Foden wrote:A decent trolley will compliment it niceley Abes, have you found out a date for the engine yet? Considering that it spent nearly 40 years on a boat winch it has survived well, it must have been kept pretty free of salt water!

Pete.

_________________
affraid A stationary engine is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you get that nice warm feeling: affraid

Abes
Admin

Posts : 1271
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 57
Location : Ringwood

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by blackvanman on Sun May 12 2013, 22:36

Looking good Abes, and now I have a good pic of that drip tray so I can copy it Very Happy

PS those eggs were bloody lovely, thank the chickens for me Smile

_________________
The garage is my workshop, my den and my peace haven.

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by nutgone on Sun May 12 2013, 23:03

Abes, how do you get on using a jet washer on the engines? I'm thinking about using one myself.

Do you go to any special lengths to make sure it doesn't get into the sump & mag? (plastic bag on the mag? Or take it off). Did you say you take the tank & carb off? Do you use any special detergent in the syphon pipe thingy?

I hate cleaning engines, would love to make the job a bit easier but always worry about getting water inside the engine with a jet wash. Perhaps you could walk us through it? I've got some driveway cleaner (made by Swarfega) which says it can be used in a jet washer, wonder if that would be any good, it's only degreaser at the end of the day.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to say; she looks lovely. Should make a really nice exhibit once you give your touches to it. :thumbup:

_________________
The "F" key is dying on my computer, please remember this when reading my posts, I'm trying to avoid using it.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2012-07-04
Age : 37
Location : East Sussex

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by stationary stu on Mon May 13 2013, 12:17

It does look a cracking engine and maybe as some have said it could maybe do with a lighter trolley made up for it. Are you leaving the tank the way it is or is it going to be painted?

Nuts when using a pressure wash just keep it away from the important bits, mag etc and don't spray directly into engine holes, such as oil filler or carb intake and you sould be ok. If for your peace of mind you could use plastic bags but you'll need them secure as the pressure will soon blow them off if there a bit loose. I'd use a de-greaser on it's own first to soak the engine and maybe give it a scrub where the dirt has built up, then use a soap or road traffic film remover to clean off as the de-greaser straight into the pressure washer won't help very much if any.

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by nutgone on Mon May 13 2013, 14:33

Cheers for that Stu. I would love to hear from anyone else who uses one as well. Does anyone do anything differently? Has anyone ever checked to find water in the sump afterwards or would you normally change the oil afterwards anyway?

I guess the best thing would be the steam cleaners or hot wash machines like they use on cars, vans, lorries, tractors etc. But those require special drainage with 3 stage interceptors etc etc. They're more for the proper commercial set-ups. But must be useful if you work somewhere that has one. (Think Matt86 says he gets occasional use of a hot wash, lucky so&so Laughing He's missing out on all the fun you know, good old Gunk & some old toothbrushes Very Happy )

_________________
The "F" key is dying on my computer, please remember this when reading my posts, I'm trying to avoid using it.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2012-07-04
Age : 37
Location : East Sussex

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by stationary stu on Tue May 14 2013, 11:59

Nuts you could always call in at your local garage car wash (lance type only the roller brush type are no use Laughing Laughing Laughing ) and use there hot wash.

Good idea to change the oil but if your careful there shouldn't be much gets into the sump.

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by Abes on Sun May 19 2013, 19:34

Quick update as at a loose end today thought id make a start on a new trolley for the Wolseley, here's the progress so far woodwork nearly all done just need to make a little toolbox to go on the end the whole thing will then just be oiled, wheels all cleaned up not sure if too keep them this colour or spray black to go with the engine will also need to make up some new axels as the orignal ones are a little on the ruff side, engine at the moment is sat on my workshop trolley so there's no great rush but do need it all finished by early next month as taking it to a little one day ralley







_________________
affraid A stationary engine is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you get that nice warm feeling: affraid

Abes
Admin

Posts : 1271
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 57
Location : Ringwood

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by stationary stu on Mon May 20 2013, 11:47

You've got some good skills when it comes to woodworking Abes, that trolley looks spot on and once it's oiled up it will look the dogs danglies. Wink Very Happy

I think black wheels myself, but would you like to take a vote on it? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by Abes on Mon May 20 2013, 18:00

LOL cheers mate more luck than judgement, to through another spanner in the works with reference the colour of the wheels a mate suggested red which also takes my fancy too, looks like it might go down to a vote now lol.
Managed to get a bit more done on it this evening, woodwork has now had its first coat of engine oil, axels have been cut as have the bearers just need drilling and welding up will put some pics up when done

stationary stu wrote:You've got some good skills when it comes to woodworking Abes, that trolley looks spot on and once it's oiled up it will look the dogs danglies. Wink Very Happy

I think black wheels myself, but would you like to take a vote on it? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

_________________
affraid A stationary engine is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you get that nice warm feeling: affraid

Abes
Admin

Posts : 1271
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 57
Location : Ringwood

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by nutgone on Mon May 20 2013, 18:21

Different colour wheels might break things up a bit. They are usually painted black, but then most engines aren't. So with a black engine, something different on the wheels might follow.

Best ask a woman Abes, they know about these things. Wink Laughing

I would just paint them with whatever colour was nearest, or which ever I had most of or hadn't used in a while (or a combination of all 3).

Sorry, not much help, am I? Very Happy

_________________
The "F" key is dying on my computer, please remember this when reading my posts, I'm trying to avoid using it.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2012-07-04
Age : 37
Location : East Sussex

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by Abes on Mon May 20 2013, 19:16

LOL Mrs thought gold would be nice dont think so, how about red but with a red HT lead too ummmmmm

nutgone wrote:Different colour wheels might break things up a bit. They are usually painted black, but then most engines aren't. So with a black engine, something different on the wheels might follow.

Best ask a woman Abes, they know about these things. Wink Laughing

I would just paint them with whatever colour was nearest, or which ever I had most of or hadn't used in a while (or a combination of all 3).

Sorry, not much help, am I? Very Happy

_________________
affraid A stationary engine is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you get that nice warm feeling: affraid

Abes
Admin

Posts : 1271
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 57
Location : Ringwood

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by matt86 on Mon May 20 2013, 19:33

Abes wrote:LOL Mrs thought gold would be nice dont think so, how about red but with a red HT lead too ummmmmm

nutgone wrote:Different colour wheels might break things up a bit. They are usually painted black, but then most engines aren't. So with a black engine, something different on the wheels might follow.

Best ask a woman Abes, they know about these things. Wink Laughing

I would just paint them with whatever colour was nearest, or which ever I had most of or hadn't used in a while (or a combination of all 3).

Sorry, not much help, am I? Very Happy

abes i do like red wheels on trolleys but i think there has got to be either a dark coloured engine or dark wood for the trolley.

matt

matt86
Admin

Posts : 5581
Join date : 2011-03-29
Age : 30
Location : swindon/ faringdon

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by Abes on Mon May 20 2013, 21:13

How about dark engine and dark wood will that do then lol

matt86 wrote:
Abes wrote:LOL Mrs thought gold would be nice dont think so, how about red but with a red HT lead too ummmmmm

nutgone wrote:Different colour wheels might break things up a bit. They are usually painted black, but then most engines aren't. So with a black engine, something different on the wheels might follow.

Best ask a woman Abes, they know about these things. Wink Laughing

I would just paint them with whatever colour was nearest, or which ever I had most of or hadn't used in a while (or a combination of all 3).

Sorry, not much help, am I? Very Happy

abes i do like red wheels on trolleys but i think there has got to be either a dark coloured engine or dark wood for the trolley.

matt

_________________
affraid A stationary engine is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you get that nice warm feeling: affraid

Abes
Admin

Posts : 1271
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 57
Location : Ringwood

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by matt86 on Mon May 20 2013, 21:21

that will do it mate .

give it a go , you can allways paint over it .

matt

matt86
Admin

Posts : 5581
Join date : 2011-03-29
Age : 30
Location : swindon/ faringdon

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by nutgone on Mon May 20 2013, 22:27

Red might go well with the red HT lead. It's nice if it "goes" with something else on the engine, no matter how small.

Gold would go with the brass work, but could be a bit too much (a bit over-powering), silver would go with the nice shiny tank, but silver wheels tend to look a bit too modern.

So maybe red??? scratch

Oh sod it! Who looks at the wheels anyway? lol!

_________________
The "F" key is dying on my computer, please remember this when reading my posts, I'm trying to avoid using it.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2012-07-04
Age : 37
Location : East Sussex

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by stationary stu on Tue May 21 2013, 10:56

Gold is a good choice, remember the old John Player racing cars and ciggy packets they looked good black and gold.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7phrdFkW91qbq1mdo1_500.jpg

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by Abes on Tue May 21 2013, 19:32

Think the colour of the wheels will be put on the back burner as after giving the wheels a good wash quite like the colour so will wait and see for the moment lol, well tonight was welding night now dont get me wrong where welding is concerned iam pretty crap but i can melt two bits of metal together with the best of them plus after a good clean up with the angle grinder and a file the welds never look to bad so after a couple of hours axels are now together with just the holes to drill, the last pic is my jig i made up to hold everything in place while it was spot welded pics below







_________________
affraid A stationary engine is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you get that nice warm feeling: affraid

Abes
Admin

Posts : 1271
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 57
Location : Ringwood

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by matt86 on Tue May 21 2013, 20:29

looking great abes . How is the welding coming along ? you getting any better at it after some practicing ?

matt

matt86
Admin

Posts : 5581
Join date : 2011-03-29
Age : 30
Location : swindon/ faringdon

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by nutgone on Tue May 21 2013, 21:13

Your welding looks OK to me Abes. I always preferred an Arc welder when I did welding at college anyway, & the thicker the better as far as the metal was concerned. I also liked gas welding (TIG is very similar) & brazing. Never got the hang of a MIG though, but I didn't get much time to play with welders when I was at college.

I've been practising with my arc welder whenever I get the chance, I could do with some more scrap metal to practise on though. I've ordered some 1.6mm rods to have a go at some really thin stuff.

It's practise that makes perfect, & like you say, it all looks fine after some grinding & filing. :thumbup:

Didn't you weld the petrol tank mountings on the Scott? They looked fine to me. It's off to it's first rally this weekend (should I be worried??? scratch I don't think so).

_________________
The "F" key is dying on my computer, please remember this when reading my posts, I'm trying to avoid using it.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2012-07-04
Age : 37
Location : East Sussex

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by Abes on Tue May 21 2013, 21:48

Thats the problem really dont get enough practice lol, yer did the welding on the tank brackets but took a lot of doing and some use with the grinder, ref the Scott when do i get to see a vid of it running then you did promise lol

nutgone wrote:Your welding looks OK to me Abes. I always preferred an Arc welder when I did welding at college anyway, & the thicker the better as far as the metal was concerned. I also liked gas welding (TIG is very similar) & brazing. Never got the hang of a MIG though, but I didn't get much time to play with welders when I was at college.

I've been practising with my arc welder whenever I get the chance, I could do with some more scrap metal to practise on though. I've ordered some 1.6mm rods to have a go at some really thin stuff.

It's practise that makes perfect, & like you say, it all looks fine after some grinding & filing. :thumbup:

Didn't you weld the petrol tank mountings on the Scott? They looked fine to me. It's off to it's first rally this weekend (should I be worried??? scratch I don't think so).

_________________
affraid A stationary engine is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you get that nice warm feeling: affraid

Abes
Admin

Posts : 1271
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 57
Location : Ringwood

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by Abes on Tue May 21 2013, 21:50

LOL no not really but getting a dab hand with the grinder

matt86 wrote:looking great abes . How is the welding coming along ? you getting any better at it after some practicing ?

matt

_________________
affraid A stationary engine is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you get that nice warm feeling: affraid

Abes
Admin

Posts : 1271
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 57
Location : Ringwood

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by nutgone on Tue May 21 2013, 22:53

Abes wrote:, ref the Scott when do i get to see a vid of it running then you did promise lol


There are a couple of vids on my YouTube, think I linked to them somewhere on here (could be in the videos section, or pride & joy). I will get plenty more pics & vids at the rally this coming weekend, can't wait (it's my 1st proper show this season bounce spent the weekend cleaning the caravan & getting it all ready). :thumbup:

_________________
The "F" key is dying on my computer, please remember this when reading my posts, I'm trying to avoid using it.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2012-07-04
Age : 37
Location : East Sussex

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolseley project

Post by Sponsored content Today at 16:16


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum