www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D Restoration

3 posters

Go down

Lister D Restoration Empty Lister D Restoration

Post by bradders Wed Jul 10 2013, 18:21

Hello!
Over the last few months I've been restoring my Lister D. The paint on it wasn't too bad but the flywheel was a different shade of green (very different) to the rest of the engine so I thought I'd repaint it. Also the water hopper had a habit of draining into the cylinder and sump so a lovely clean out also occurred. Now it's all together with just the primer on (2 coats) and with new gaskets and oil all round. It is pretty filthy on the pictures as oil and white paint don't really combine well... The lens on the camera is a bit dodgy which is why the photos are really zoomed in, not much I can do about that for the time but they should give an idea about how it should look...
Lister D Restoration Img_3510
Lister D Restoration Img_3511
Lister D Restoration Img_3512
Lister D Restoration Img_3513
Lister D Restoration Img_3514

It's not the best of all paint jobs...
bradders
bradders
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Lister D Restoration Empty Re: Lister D Restoration

Post by bradders Wed Jul 10 2013, 20:28

Well after a small oil leak it runs! Started first time but vibrates heavily... May have sorted that by attaching the flywheel properly...
bradders
bradders
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by bradders Wed Jul 10 2013, 21:19

Well it still vibrates quite badly, I'm wondering if it's an ignition problem? If anyone can diagnose these symptoms that would be great! Startup is slow but does eventually settle (when I say slow I mean it starts second swing but takes a long time to spin up to speed) it races up to quite a pace before slowing to a steady speed. The vibrations may be a clue but the exhaust temperature after only 20 seconds running is enough to smoke the heat resistant pain on the silencer. Could this be ignition or leaking exhaust valve?
Any help welcome!
bradders
bradders
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Wed Jul 10 2013, 22:35

Looks brilliant, any idea on age?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bradders Wed Jul 10 2013, 22:37

June 1940, was supplied as a cement mixer engine but that's changed. It's a great engine! Never had a stationary engine before so bit of a steep learning curve!
bradders
bradders
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by interloper Thu Jul 11 2013, 10:08

Looks really good, glad it's a runner, gives me some inspiration to plough on with mine. Wink 

If it were me I'd probably start by checking the ignition timing, both on the points, and with a timing light (if teh works on a mag) Very Happy

interloper
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by bradders Mon Jul 29 2013, 22:45

Well after re-timing the mag and replacing the governor spring it runs better... I think I've rebuilt the governor wrong as I tried to start it (went first time!) but must've hit somewhere around 1200-1500rpm before I had the sense to shut it off, it was screaming... Guess I have to re-look at the governor then!
bradders
bradders
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down