www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

She Lives!

3 posters

Go down

She Lives! Empty She Lives!

Post by Mr Blackstock Thu Mar 27 2014, 07:43

Hello all,

I recently got myself a "Farmers Boy" light tractor/rotary hoe off fleabay. Just the other day I started work on it, lightly sanded the inside of the flywheel, checked the points, disassembled the carby and was very surprised at the clean condition.

I used a drill to turn the engine, no spark though....

I checked the manual and decided to investigate the earth "switch" After tooling around, turned her over and there was a big fat spark. Filled her with fresh petrol and let rip!

Well! Bugger me if she did'nt fire into life and maintain a great idle!

Very happy. Next to start de-seizing the rest of the bits..

cheers, Gareth
Mr Blackstock
Mr Blackstock
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

She Lives! Empty Re: She Lives!

Post by StewartH Thu Mar 27 2014, 11:11

Happy Days Gareth! - keep the stories coming and if you can add a couple of pictures as that would be grand... I don't have much (if any) knowledge on the Farmers Boy tractors so it would be good to see.

enjoy the fleabay purchase!

Best

Hamish
StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Blackstock Sun Mar 30 2014, 10:08

Since the engine has been idling away, I have been working out getting a chain for the rotary hoe drive, and some new tyres.  Harder to find than you might imagine down here.  All the oils have been changed, even the air filter has the original filter element in place, I am guessing.
She Lives! Dsc02510

I will not be re-painting until I can get hold of a pressurised sand blaster.  Then I can get all the rust off.  For now I shall maintain the patina!

Cheers, Gareth
Mr Blackstock
Mr Blackstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Blackstock Sun Apr 20 2014, 13:50

I got all the parts for my "Farmer's Boy" all assembled and running sweet! I have uploaded a video of her in action, plus some pics below. I also bought a Mk 10 Villiers engine cheaply for parts in case I need bits. The tires on this Farmer's Boy are larger than what was original, 3 by 8 inch. Those tires are available in the U.K but postage would kill me. I cut into the shroud to accommodate the larger tire on one side. It may be damaging originality, but I bought the rotary hoe to be a working garden implement, although it is a very cool one.

She Lives! 04712

She Lives! 05010
Mr Blackstock
Mr Blackstock

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Apr 20 2014, 16:49

well done mate
villiers sounds the same from my side the world as ours do  Cool  Very Happy 
happy easter 
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH Tue Apr 22 2014, 10:56

Nice conversion - was just wondering were you taking the farmers boy for a walk or was it walking you  Laughing Laughing 

Always nice to see a working engine - I agree with you - if its a work tool and it needs modified then thats what you need to do!

best

Hamish
StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Blackstock Tue Apr 22 2014, 16:42

G'day,

I will admit she doe spull pretty strong. The gear disengage lever worked itself loose, and I had to chase her for a bit to get her to stop, I will have to work on that bit.

I attached a lawn mower speed control, but it seems inaffective when the gear box in engaged, from what I can understand from the manual, the governor alters the speed/throttle control as the gears under go greater load.

I may have to alter the carb settings a little as she bogs down if I do not hold her up a little. I am not sure if they are supposed to do that, and I hate altering old carbs as they are a very dark art getting them running right again!

cheers, Gareth
Mr Blackstock
Mr Blackstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down