www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

amanco hired man mixer/ carb

2 posters

Go down

amanco hired man mixer/ carb Empty amanco hired man mixer/ carb

Post by kev Wed Jul 02 2014, 23:06

Hi all
I have got an amanco hired man with no carb, What I do have is a raw casting that I may be able to machine. My problem is i can't see how the petrol doesn't just run straight through the carb as soon as the needle is lifted from it's seat as there is no float to cut off the fuel. Can anyone give me a clue as to how it works please. If I could get a drawing of how it goes that would be great, ( just a rough freehand sketch would do it) once I can sort this out I think I have all the parts I need to start the rebuild.

kev
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

amanco hired man mixer/ carb Empty Re: amanco hired man mixer/ carb

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Jul 03 2014, 11:14

kev wrote:Hi all
I have got an amanco hired man with no carb, What I do have is a raw casting that I may be able to machine. My problem is i can't  see how the petrol doesn't just run straight through the  carb as soon as the needle is lifted from it's seat as there is no float to cut off the fuel.  Can anyone give me  a clue as to  how it works please. If I could get a drawing of how it goes that would be great, ( just a rough freehand sketch would do it) once I can sort this out I think I have all the parts I need to start the rebuild.
hi kev
amancos and many other hitnmiss engines are of this method of fueling ,there is in the fuel line from tank to carb a "check valve" 
this is a one way flow valve,with a ball bearing inside it, the engine sucks the check valve ball up from its seat and the fuel is pulled into the engine at the flow the needle is set to,then when the inlet valve closes again, the ball bearing in check valve drops back to its seat and stops the fuel running back to tank ,or just flowing with gravity into the carb, the fuel tanks are normaly lower than the carb so gravity is not an issue for flooding the fuel through to carb
hope this helps 
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Jul 03 2014, 11:28

kev
heres a link to the restoration of one of my hiredmen/man engines its a good long post,and lots of questions and answers and pics to go also

on page 12 there is so pics of the check valves ,mine are dual fuel so you just need one of  Very Happy 

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net/t5388p165-amanco-opencrank-2-1-4-hp-petrol-paraffin-under-the-spanners?highlight=amanco+hiredman+tvo

kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

amanco hired man mixer/ carb Empty RE: Amanco hired man mixer/carb

Post by kev Thu Jul 03 2014, 22:21

thanks for the info kev it all becomes clear now. I've had a look at your amanco restoration and it will be very usefull as all I have got is a casting and a box of bits. I am making a coil and will run it with a battery as I see you have done. if it turns out too look as nice as yours i'll be well chuffed. many thanks

kev
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down