www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder

5 posters

Go down

My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder Empty My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder

Post by Garak Tue Dec 04 2018, 16:06

1:

A 1936 Lister 'D' spec 18DH Reverse Rotation built on 09:12:1936 and supplied to Ransome & Rapier of Ipswich in the UK

An older restoration but with some parts replaced to keep it as per its correct specification.

My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder For_fo10

2:

A 1914 Associated Manufacturers Company (Amanco) 'Hired Man' hit and miss 2 1/4hp supplied to Garner & Son agricultural agents of Melton Mowbray in the UK and used on a farm in Colston Basset. On it's original wooden sled with Garners name plate. Restored in 2005

My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder For_fa11

3:

A 1944 Wolseley WD1 built August / September 1944 and supplied to Drake & Fletcher in the UK. The first of the Wolseley WD line of stationary engines (without the finned water hopper). An earlier restoration but recently re-painted.

My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder For_fo14

4:

A Stuart Turner AF2E12 'Boiler Feed' Water Pump. This pump would have been originally powered by a top mounted electric motor but is easily driven from a stationary engine. Date unknown as no records exist for Stuart pumps (unless anyone knows differently!). This is an earlier pump due to the brass specification plate, later versions had an Aluminium plate & a pressed steel pully. Restored in 2016

My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder For_fo15

5:

A Bamford & Sons 'Rapid' Grinding Mill. Manufactured in the UK. Dated between 1896 - 1946 (dating supplied by Bamfords Engine & Machinery Group) a precise date cannot be determined as no records were kept at the factory but mills bearing the name 'Henry Bamford' in the casting were made during these dates. This mill had a full 'Nuts & Bolts' restoration by myself during 2017 - 2018 but has now been sold to fund other projects.

My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder For_fo16

Last edited by Garak on Sat Jan 26 2019, 09:21; edited 3 times in total
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder Empty Re: My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder

Post by Woodsman Thu Dec 06 2018, 15:55

Lovely collection - well done.
Any current projects?

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder Empty Re: My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder

Post by Garak Sat Dec 08 2018, 11:04

Woodsman wrote:Any current projects?

Not at the moment engine wise but I like to restore old woodworking planes and turn old rusty 2 gallon petrol cans (not rare ones) into table lamps so I've always got something on the go.
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sat Dec 08 2018, 12:22

Ah - woodworking good man.
If you look at some of my pictures you will see a wood turning lathe in the background. I also enjoy cabinet / box making.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Sat Dec 08 2018, 18:15

A nice collection, have you still got the SIF engine?

Stuart.
Robotstar5
Robotstar5
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by B10Dave Mon Dec 10 2018, 02:58

Nicely done engines, pump and grinder. Thanks for showing them to us....Dave
B10Dave
B10Dave
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Mon Dec 10 2018, 09:15

Robotstar5 wrote:A nice collection, have you still got the SIF engine?

Stuart.

No, I sold it a few months back to help fund the purchase of the Wolseley.

Martyn
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Sat Jan 11 2020, 10:50

Lovely collection indeed.
Any chance you could send me or post some close up photos of the Amanco governor hit and miss assembly as my engine has parts damaged and missing in that area. The long flat bar that operated the exhaust valve is simply a straight piece of flat bar with nothing for the whats missing governor hit miss latching yoke to pick up on if this makes any sense to you?
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to fabricate the missing parts if I cannot find replacements which I suppose will almost be impossible unless someone has an engine beyond being restore-able.
Thanks.

chuffchuff
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Sat Jan 11 2020, 10:59

chuffchuff wrote:Lovely collection indeed.
Any chance you could send me or post some close up photos of the Amanco governor hit and miss assembly as my engine has parts damaged and missing in that area.  The long flat bar that operated the exhaust valve is simply a straight piece of flat bar with nothing for the whats missing governor hit miss latching yoke to pick up on if this makes any sense to you?
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to fabricate the missing parts if I cannot find replacements which I suppose will almost be impossible unless someone has an engine beyond being restore-able.
Thanks.

Sure, later today when I get home.

Martyn
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Sat Jan 11 2020, 11:33

Martyn that's brilliant, many thanks in advance. Jim

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Sat Jan 11 2020, 15:18

My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder Img_1913

My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder Img_1912

My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder Scan_110
'Scanned from book Amanco Hired Man Restoration Project'

The push-rod also has a an igniter trip rod (straight or swan neck shaped depending on year? a return spring, a governor latch and a roller on the end that follows the cam. If your engine has a straight trip igniter the rod will also have a drilled hole for a spring that keeps the trip rod in contact with the igniter trip lever. At the moment my engine is at the back of the shed behind other engines so is difficult to get to to take further photos. Facebook has a good Amanco group:

Facebook Amanco group

The book 'Amanco Hired Man Restoration Project' by David Appleton is a great resource for anything like this.

Amanco restoration project  

Martyn
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Sat Jan 11 2020, 18:08

Martyn, Thanks very much for the photos, they are a help to me.  
Somewhere along the way my engine has been I guess converted from LT ignition to HT ignition usng a conventional spark plug.  The mag is evidentally non original I can tell by the mounting method, it has the skew drive gears rather than the straight cut gears as your engine has. My engine has the pushrod and ball bearing but strangely there is no signs of the hit or miss latch there is only one hole drilled in the pushrod with a split cotter pin fitted for the return spring so I guess this pushrod is also a home made affair.
Completely missing is the latch lever that fits into the governor sliding sleeve on the crankshaft and the clevis end on the cam gear is broken only half the clevis remains.
One of my governor weight arms if broken off ( the part that fits into the sliding sleeve), the other one has been worn and rebuild by riveting a piece of metal onto it.
I guess I'l be able to fabricate the missing and broken parts if the need be, I guess I'll have a real struggle with trying to source the parts required especially up here in the North.  Crying or Very sad

I did notice that there was a Hired Man restoration book but wondered if it was any good but on your recommendation I'll now go ahead and get one on order.
Many thanks again for your help. cheers
My Three Engines, A Water Pump & A Corn Grinder P1050815

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down