www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Petter Junior Patent Safety Oil Engine - aka M Type.

5 posters

Go down

Petter Junior Patent Safety Oil Engine - aka M Type.   Empty Petter Junior Patent Safety Oil Engine - aka M Type.

Post by Woodsman Fri May 17 2019, 10:56

May have bitten off more than I can chew here.  Very Happy   Brace yourselves for a deluge of newbie questions.

Petter Junior Patent Safety Oil Engine - aka M Type.   20190511

Petter Junior Patent Safety Oil Engine - aka M Type.   20190510

What I know so far.
It's a two stroke paraffin engine started on petrol. Engine Number is 46716 which, according to my limited info, makes it built around 1919.  Obviously the subject of a prior restoration attempt - some of the nuts are stainless and smaller across the flats and there is evidence of gasket sealant on some parts.  

Good news
Seems to be all there.
Turns over and has good compression.
Castors were dead cheap in Wickes and I had a couple of lumps of timber handy to make a dolly to reassemble it on.

Bad news.
One flywheel gib key has it's head sheared off so could be problematic if I need to remove flywheel.
Inside of water jacket looks like a Martian landscape - that will be filled with citric acid for a few days.

OK, I'll preface my first question with 'excuse my ignorance' - please assume the same for all subsequent questions  Smile

There are two, mismatched, greasers on the crankshaft bearings - one (magneto side) marked Patent Telltale London which has a small spring loaded 'piston' in the cap.  The other (governor side) is unmarked and has a plain cap.
How do these work - just stuff them with grease and tighten up occasionally?

Petter Junior Patent Safety Oil Engine - aka M Type.   20190512

The governor 'follower' (?) has a small pin in one groove which stops it rotating on the shaft. Currently it is in the governor arm groove. Is this correct or should it be in the groove in which the levers actuated by the weights sit

Petter Junior Patent Safety Oil Engine - aka M Type.   20190513

According to the manual I got from IF (half missing), the engine 'automatically' switches over to paraffin once it's warmed up. I suspect that just means that the petrol slowly gets diluted with paraffin.

I'm guessing the 'Patent Diaphragm Pump' will be in need of a new diaphragm - can anyone suggest a suitable material?

Last edited by Woodsman on Fri May 17 2019, 15:20; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Petter Junior Patent Safety Oil Engine - aka M Type.   Empty Re: Petter Junior Patent Safety Oil Engine - aka M Type.

Post by Robotstar5 Fri May 17 2019, 14:31

From the photo's you seem to have crossed the first hurdle which was actually getting it home, as mentioned in another thread.

Just consider it moving from Junior to Secondary restoration school.

I don't think Villiersparts will be able to help with this one Very Happy

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Petter Junior Patent Safety Oil Engine - aka M Type.   Empty Re: Petter Junior Patent Safety Oil Engine - aka M Type.

Post by Appletop Fri May 17 2019, 23:13

Looks to be a Victory? On the M types I have they have the plain greasers on a short tube, tube is about 4 or 5 inches long, yes you are right, fill carb with petrol and it gradually changes over to kero, if the diaphragm is shot a biscuit tin will do. Without checking I can't remember about the slip ring but I THINK it should be the other way round...
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sat May 18 2019, 11:04

Hi Villiers,
Any distinguishing features for a Victory model?
When did the name change from  Petter Junior Patent Safety Oil Engine to M Type or vice versa?  
Confirmation of correct fitting of slip ring would be great when you have chance.

Last edited by Woodsman on Sun May 19 2019, 16:38; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Sat May 18 2019, 11:25

The "Patent TellTale" greaser is a "marine" pattern greaser and is therefore probably not original (unless your engine has a marine history).

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sat May 18 2019, 20:53

The Victory has "Victory Model" cast across the top of the head, just in front of the top pipe outlet on the rib, it also has a smaller big end than a standard 5hp engine, the "M2 type was never an M fromm what I can gather and were classed as VA, VAZ and others I think, email Roland at the IF with the engine number, he should be able to date and also say if it's been indexed.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by philipagri Sun May 19 2019, 09:31

Surprised to see a cast box shaped oiler on the side of the cylinder which I thought was introduced much later, unless they were only produced initially for the larger sizes. I have a 1927 3hp model that has a drip feed glass oiler.
philipagri
philipagri
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sun May 19 2019, 16:38

Thanks Gents! Smile

Closer inspection reveals it is indeed a Victory.
Said closer inspection has solved another puzzle. The part manual I have (1922 Model) suggests an oil feed rate of 6 - 10 drips per minute. I've spent days wondering where the glass oiler would be fitted. Turns out it's just a rectangular  hole in the side of the box.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Tue May 21 2019, 07:48

That oil rate seems a bit low to me....
I know my 3hp Appletop has a drip rate of 30 drips per min and I would have thought the Victory to be more....
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Tue May 21 2019, 09:12

Villiers wrote:That oil rate seems a bit low to me....
I know my 3hp Appletop has a drip rate of 30 drips per min and I would have thought the Victory to be more....

I agree, but the manual also warns that too much oil will cause plug fouling  Question Question
The manual refers to VF or 'good quality cylinder oil',  any suggestions as to a modern equivalent  - SAE30?

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Tue May 21 2019, 18:37

Some say SAE30, some say mineral 2 stroke oil, your choice. I use 2 stroke.
And it'll be messy unless you load it up and work it. Next time I am over at the Ex's I will grab some photos of mine for comparison.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Tue May 21 2019, 18:39

Mine having a run a couple of years ago....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYbZKSlJziA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8PnEIJcy5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNhTAK2-_a0
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Wed May 22 2019, 08:57

[quote="Villiers"]Mine having a run a couple of years ago....

Thanks for posting. Very Happy

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down