www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister Junior AK Magneto

3 posters

Go down

Lister Junior AK Magneto  Empty Lister Junior AK Magneto

Post by StuartR Wed Aug 12 2020, 13:09

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, so first of all hello everyone. I have posted a short introduction on the newbie section.
I have just acquired a 1934 Lister Junior A24K, it's a runner but with one or two minor issues which I will work through and hopefully not ask too many daft questions along the way. My first question is regarding the Magneto, it has a Lucas SR1 fitted which I believe is not original although functions OK. It must have been pre-1970 as this was when the engine was last in work (the guy I got it from acquired it in 2018 from it's original resting place in the Orkney Isles and replaced the condenser but not the complete magneto). I can't seem to find any manufacturing dates for the SR1 and wondered what would have been originally fitted and if the SR1 would be frowned upon by seasoned engine men at shows etc.?

Any advice or info greatly appreciated,
Cheers,
StuartR

StuartR
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister Junior AK Magneto  Empty Re: Lister Junior AK Magneto

Post by Foden Wed Aug 12 2020, 16:38

Welcome from another Derbyshire based member! The SR1 magnetos were introduced in 1954 I believe, there should be a serial number on a plate fastened under the cut out strip and the last two numbers of the date is usually on that. It shouldn't make any difference to proper enthuiasts as the SR was the standard replacement when the original RS model failed in service and has possibly been on your engine longer than the original factory fitted one.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartR Wed Aug 12 2020, 16:58

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the info. As the saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I shall leave the SR1 in place and concentrate on other niggles. Mainly the fuel regulator needle is very loose and dances around when the engine is running making it tricky to get a smooth tick over. Not sure yet whether I can tighten it up, although I have noticed on the D engine the uderside is notched, so maybe something is mising. I'll investigate further and return to the forum when I'm stumped.
Thanks again,
Stuart.

StuartR
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Wed Aug 12 2020, 18:35

Your fuel regulator should have the same spring and plunger, I cant remember if they are the same dimension than the D, easy to make if you have access to the lathe.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartR Wed Aug 12 2020, 19:05

Thanks Maryalice, do you know any photo references to show what I'm looking for?
Fortunately I have a Myford ML7 in the workshop so should be able to sort this out. This is why I bought the engine, to potter around in tbe workshop.
😊
Thanks,
Stuart.

StuartR
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Wed Aug 12 2020, 19:15

I will be able to send pictures but I need to buy a new printer tomorrow as my current one has just died and cant scan them for you.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Wed Aug 12 2020, 19:22

Stuart,
Look here https://images.app.goo.gl/mSJyvCYBKttpvtvJ9 top row third item from left.
Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartR Wed Aug 12 2020, 20:31

Hi Maryalice,
Thank you, I've removed the wheel and it appears the guy that painted it has painted the plunger in together with a little rust. I am currently soaking with Plusgas and will try to remove. I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks
Stuart.

StuartR
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartR Wed Aug 12 2020, 21:46

After a small amount of time and a little persuasion with pliers the plunger came free. Spring in good order, clean with smooth carb cloth and a little oil and it now operates perfectly. One problem ticked off. A little late for a run now but will give it a a go tomorrow and see if there's any improvement. I've also tweeked the magneto timing slightly as it appeared a little advanced. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help so far, these forums are priceless Thumbs Up.

StuartR
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartR Wed Aug 12 2020, 21:46

After a small amount of time and a little persuasion with pliers the plunger came free. Spring in good order, clean with smooth carb cloth and a little oil and it now operates perfectly. One problem ticked off. A little late for a run now but will give it a a go tomorrow and see if there's any improvement. I've also tweeked the magneto timing slightly as it appeared a little advanced. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help so far, these forums are priceless Thumbs Up.

StuartR
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartR Wed Aug 12 2020, 21:58

Foden wrote: the last two numbers of the date is usually on that.

Message to Pete, just checked the date as you suggested, the magneto is 1955.

Cheers
Stuart.

StuartR
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down