www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

lister 2.5 kw start-o-matic not motoring up to speed

4 posters

Go down

lister 2.5 kw start-o-matic not motoring up to speed Empty lister 2.5 kw start-o-matic not motoring up to speed

Post by chrismac Sat Jan 22 2022, 22:37

All, I put a new battery on my start o matic and though I would give it a run as its been sitting a wee while, not 6 months though. on turning on the fan I use to get the load on it to start, there were a few clicks and clonks as normal but no spinning of the motor/alternator, I span it over on the starting handle and fired it up and it runs fine generating power, I have the manual and have been studying it as best as I can trying to make sense of it and have a general feel for most of it but am struggling to know where to start regarding fault finding as all looks okay visually, any help/pointing in the direction for some fault finding is greatly appreciated.

Hopefully the link works, I have it on my laptop but cant get it uploaded.

https://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;ts=1606677785;topic=9198.0;attach=5314

Images of control boxes, I should have taken a photo of the alternator.

lister 2.5 kw start-o-matic not motoring up to speed 51835759972_bb0dbd3510_zUntitled by chrismac2012, on Flickr

lister 2.5 kw start-o-matic not motoring up to speed 51836817698_f1648b3d81_zUntitled by chrismac2012, on Flickr

ps I know the yellow wire has seen better days, its on the to do list.
Chris

chrismac
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

lister 2.5 kw start-o-matic not motoring up to speed Empty Re: lister 2.5 kw start-o-matic not motoring up to speed

Post by maryalice Sun Jan 23 2022, 08:11

I've no experience of said item but your description of clunks and clicks leads me to suspect the contactor that turns the alternator into a motor, it obviously is working by the noises but maybe failed or dirty contacts.
I would start there.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

lister 2.5 kw start-o-matic not motoring up to speed Empty Re: lister 2.5 kw start-o-matic not motoring up to speed

Post by oldgit Sun Jan 23 2022, 09:52

I also have no experience of startomatics, but it looks to me that there are two batteries fitted; I would check that all the battery terminals, and all connections at all ends of the heavy battery leads, are clean and tight (just thinking that changing the battery might have disturbed other connections).

oldgit

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismac Sun Jan 23 2022, 10:27

Thanks for the replies, I'll investigate further when I get a chance.

Chris

chrismac

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sun Jan 23 2022, 15:39

Was this the link you tried to post?

https://listerengine.com/smf/index.php

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismac Mon Jan 24 2022, 12:26

Woodsman wrote:Was this the link you tried to post?

https://listerengine.com/smf/index.php

Thanks, no it was a link to the SOM manual, I had hoped I had copied and pasted it but it would seem it does not work like that.

Any way thanks for the help all, I found the issue which was a defective earth braid which became disconnected, fixed now and up and running.

Chris

chrismac

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismac Thu Feb 03 2022, 22:19

Just to finish the post, this was my repair,

lister 2.5 kw start-o-matic not motoring up to speed 51860817424_f35b572781_zUntitled by chrismac2012, on Flickr

lister 2.5 kw start-o-matic not motoring up to speed 51861137755_32baf31314_zUntitled by chrismac2012, on Flickr

lister 2.5 kw start-o-matic not motoring up to speed 51860483476_672bf3a9e7_zUntitled by chrismac2012, on Flickr

Chris

chrismac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down