www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Ruston & Hornsby 1HR Stationary Engine Starting

3 posters

Go down

Ruston & Hornsby 1HR Stationary Engine Starting Empty Ruston & Hornsby 1HR Stationary Engine Starting

Post by SCash Fri Apr 01 2022, 09:31

Have reassembled a 1955 Ruston 1HR and although I haven't been able to use all genuine parts but it seems to be in working order. However I can't get it to start. Followed the instruction manual for starting with and without firework but when I drop the exhaust lever I can't get it beyond the compression point. Tried bolting down the engine to a couple of sleepers but when the compression point is reached they just lift up no matter how quickly the starting handle is turning. Can anyone help please?

SCash

Back to top Go down

Ruston & Hornsby 1HR Stationary Engine Starting Empty Re: Ruston & Hornsby 1HR Stationary Engine Starting

Post by maryalice Fri Apr 01 2022, 11:43

Watch this it may help, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rBYMJyq-54.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Ruston & Hornsby 1HR Stationary Engine Starting Empty Re: Ruston & Hornsby 1HR Stationary Engine Starting

Post by oldgit Fri Apr 01 2022, 13:07

That's nice.

oldgit
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by SCash Fri Apr 01 2022, 20:04

Thanks Maryalice, Have seen that - it distresses me how easily it winds up and starts. I tried starting on a wheeled trolley and just ended up with collapsed castors - since replaced. Just can't get it past the compression point when I release the exhaust valve lifter no matter how quickly I turn the starting handle. Perhaps I need a body building course first!

SCash

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgit Sat Apr 02 2022, 01:13

If you attempt to start it, then turn it with the valve lifted; does any vapour come out of the exhaust? if so, that would suggest that the injection was happening too early.

You could also check that it is injecting at the end of the compression stroke; and not at the end of the exhaust stroke (valve overlap).

If the compression ratio is too high; there may a spacer between the head and cylinder missing, or the head gasket may be too thin.

A compression test using a pressure gauge might give you some useful information.

oldgit

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sat Apr 02 2022, 08:43

All of the above or you need to eat more Weetabix Very Happy

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down