www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Electric/alternator question please

4 posters

Go down

Electric/alternator question please Empty Electric/alternator question please

Post by Rookesy Thu Jun 23 2022, 20:13

Gents,
I run a Lister A with a 12volt alternator give it something to do and make it work. I have a 12v 7AH battery in the circuit as an exciter (if thats the right word). In the light box there are 2 sealed beam headlights at 60W each, 3 x 5W tail lights and a plug in rotating beacon at between 55 and 70W giving a total load of about 200W. This loads the engine nicely and you can hear the exhaust note change when you switch on the electrics.
I also have 3 spot lights that could be fitted at about 60W each. If I add them to the set up am I going to over load the engine and or alternator.
Is this be a case of it aint broke don't fix it  
TIA

Rookesy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Electric/alternator question please Empty Re: Electric/alternator question please

Post by Alanengine Thu Jun 23 2022, 21:09

I think you have hit the nail on the head! Enough load to give it something to do along with a good exhaust note. Avoid the ability to overload the engine possibly causing a stall.
I made a headight bulb (H7) light box for my JAP giving 20X 55w total load in 4 stages but rarely use all the load.

Alan
Electric/alternator question please Img_2168

Alanengine
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Electric/alternator question please Empty Re: Electric/alternator question please

Post by Robotstar5 Thu Jun 23 2022, 23:56

It will depend on the output of your alternator, if you know the make, model or type it can be looked up.

Your present setup will draw about 16 Amps and adding the spots will be another 15 Amps so total load 31 Amps, most car alternators will produce 50 Amps upwards.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Fri Jun 24 2022, 17:25

Lister A could produce at least 1.0 kW useful energy so I doubt you will overload the engine.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rookesy Fri Jun 24 2022, 20:03

Gents,
It is a Valeo CL8 alternator which the spec info says charging power in Amps is 80.
I think I will set up the spots but put them on seperate switches a bit liike Alan's set up so I can increase the load bit by bit as the mood takes me.
Thank you for your advice

Rookesy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanengine Fri Jun 24 2022, 21:20

Looking forward to hearing it running!

Alan

Alanengine
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down