www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

My Famileys engines

5 posters

Go down

My Famileys engines Empty My Famileys engines

Post by jamespeterbrett Tue Dec 15 2009, 16:04

Here are some engines that at one time or another have been in my familey. They either are my Late Grandads engines or My engines. Some were sold by my Grandad in the 1989 (to Kenny Stoffer with his Farmall BMD super, also featured) some are engines that have either passed throu my hands (forced to sell when money was tight) or are still in my collection. In all my familey has been ralling stationary engines, old tractors, models and steam engines since the late 1960's.
My Famileys engines 110 the 1st engine i ever owned. a little mamod. still go tit in the shed to.
My Famileys engines 210 The 1st engine i Restored, a Villiers Mark 12, still own it, but am looking to sell it.
My Famileys engines 310 1948 Ruston and Hornsby 2BHP PT, restored by E Bradnham, and purchassed off Des Sparrow. Driving a Industrial bench drill from the 1930's, restored by me in 2006. Unfortuently I Sold it to Dan Cole of Kessingland in August 2009, Location and condition now unknown!My Famileys engines 410 1936 Ruston Hornsby 1.5 BHP PB driving a very rear Turbo Gear Pump. Sold in July 2009 to Charlie Forword, who is contiunuing to carry on the good work i started.
My Famileys engines 510My Famileys engines 610
1927 LISTER L, Restored in the late 1970's early 1980's by M Armstrong of Hales, then passed to N Carr of Chedgrave, before being sold to me in 2007 in a non running, but compleate condition, restored to punning order in 2008. This engine has spent its entire life in the Loddon area but is now living there Nottingham.
My Famileys engines 710 This engine was Deliverd new to P Rand and Sons of Weatherdon (Main Ruston and Hornsby Agents for Suffolk) on the 29th October 1930. it was supplyed by them with a ERF Turner (of Ipswich) rolling corn mill to a Wilford Clover of Drinkstone Smock Mill, it worked there until 1962 when it was restored by L Howlett. It was Purchased by me, and needing very little work, is my faverate stationary engine!
My Famileys engines 810
My 4 inch scale 6NHP Burrell single cylender genral purpose traction engine. Built by Tony Anderson of Lowestoft, with help form Horace Neath. Purchased by me on Aug 1st 2008. Names Sybil after my Grandmother
My Famileys engines 910

the little single acting poppit valve steam engine i constructed out of a suffolk punch 4 stroke lawnmower engine.
My Famileys engines C10
My late Grandad, Chris Rivett, seen driving his Macormack intenational harvester co. farmall BMD super, He sold the tractor to Kenny Stoffer in 1989. dose any on know where it is now?
My Famileys engines N6021022
1931 Stuart Turner P5 industrial 2 stroke engine, and very rear little engine, as most P5's are marrine, but this one never was, having been built to drive a dynamo, poss. for the GPO. most other Stuart Turner industrial 2 strokes are of P4 type. This engine was restored by my Late Grandad in the 1970's and has been ion the family now for nearly 40 years, and is one of the most prized engines in my colection.
My Famileys engines X10
My Late Grandad's (Chris Rivett) 1924 Ruston and Hornsby 2 1/4 BHP model PR open crank engine, that he rescued from a local scrap yard, and restored. this engine was delived new to Cannell seads of Loddon, to drive a small seed dresser amd small mobile barn thresher, and was subscrently used in the Ruston and Horsby advertising for promote the 2 1/4 BHP PR. sadly, is is no longer in our familey, my grandad having sold it in 1989. dose any one know fo its were about now? Seen here at the Royal Norfolk Show.
My Famileys engines Y10
my Grandads Wollesly WD2 Petter 2 bhp 2 stroke universal engine. sold to Kenny Stofer in 1989. do you know where it is now?
Add a caption
my Grandads Wollesly WD2 Petter 2 bhp 2 stroke universal engine. sold to Kenny Stofer in 1989. do you know where it is now?
My Famileys engines Z10
neriest the camera is my grandads Wollesly WD2 petrol engine, behind that is his Petter 2 bhp 2 stroke universal engine. both were sold to Kenny Stofer in 1989. do you know where they are now?

hope you have enjoyed looking at just some of the engines that are/have been in our colection over the years bot myself and my Late Grandad had quite a lot more engines that what is feature here, but they have either not been photgraphed yet, or the photos have been lost over time. If you know the posable where abouts of the engines that have been sold away from the colection, i would be be most thankfull.

Yours

James
jamespeterbrett
jamespeterbrett
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

My Famileys engines Empty Re: My Famileys engines

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15 2009, 17:38

good load there Very Happy
big fan of the non marine stuarts, well im a fan of most water cooled 2 strokes

thanks for posting

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

My Famileys engines Empty nice photos james

Post by Admin Tue Dec 15 2009, 17:45

love the PT piller drill set up, and the burrell they look great cheers

Admin
Admin

https://ukengineforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Statman Tue Dec 15 2009, 21:50

Some lovely pictures there!!

As i live in Cornwall ive never seen them around the rallies but someone must know on here!

I will love to own a Stuart one day i love the sound of the burble!!

Adam

Lister D
Petter AA1
Plus Many more Aircooled Engines
Statman
Statman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jamespeterbrett Wed Dec 16 2009, 00:14

i think i was the 1st person in 30 years to get it to two stoke propely. I made a new taper neadle adjusting screw to replace the origional plain one, aswith the original, the only time it would 2 stroke was under hevey load (the P5's are rathed at 3 to 5 bhp @ 1000 to 2000 rpm) i also had te remove a sping from the governers as this was giving me head aches. it also gave ma 20 yard walk to fetch the retainer the shaft when in shot out! currently back to running with a Wico mag, as the orignal lucus mag is a bit duff. I did have a BTH mag i was going to fit, but as it wasnt orgional to this engine, i couldnt refuse the price i was offered for it. This and the Ruston AP i am always geting plaged to sell, especialy the stuart. two engines that i will never sell why there is breth in my body. besides, technecly the stuart belongs to the famely so i cant lol. It also wind me up when people try and tell me the stuart is a marine engine, when it clearly is not.
jamespeterbrett
jamespeterbrett
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by jamespeterbrett Thu Dec 17 2009, 10:02

HERE ARE AFEW MORE PICS OF MY STUART P5

My Famileys engines N6021028

BEFORE THE 2004 OVERHAUL, Work took around 18 mounths (do to ofther comitments) but included a new cylender head gaskit, 1 new piston ring (the old one was in 3 parts, but luckly hadnt damaged the bore) wich resulted in a new cyldender block/crank case gaskit, governers rebuilt, magneto replacement, new neadle jet adjusting screw, replacement of the float with a correct stuart type one, new water pipes (much of the old rubber had perished so was replaced mostly with steel 3/4bsp water pipe save for 2 rubber joins to allow for any vibration. also the starting handle dog was remade and returned, trolly put on 4 wheels to aid mobilty, silancer and exhaust pipe decoaked (a filthy job) flywheel rim cleaned up, replacement tank or a more suitable design, with brass 2stroke mixing cap (the old lawn mower one not only looked out of place, but also started to leek and when cleaned up for repair was found to be moth eaten) and just to tart it off a brass band was added to the water tank. more recent work hes seen a steel flat belt pully replace the V belt pully my grandad fitted in the 90's. Think i might have to get it out the shed and try and get it to a few shows next year, as it hasnt been to a show since 2007.

My Famileys engines N6021029

1ST STEASON OUT FOR 12 YEARS IN 2006. AT GILLINGHAM (NORFOLK) RALLY

its early history is unknown, but it is beleaved to have been part of a genurating set, and origonal cooling may have been by radiator. we still have the direct cupple that would have been screwed onto the flywheel, starting being achieved my 12V self starter, or starting handle/ropestart on the other end of the dynomo/genurator. THIS ENGINE IS A INDURSTRIAL MODEL and there for is not fillted with a marine crankshaft, hence it ends inside the govener housing. it has never been fitted whith a water pump for cooling dispite what some "well briefed" engine owners try and tell me. not only is it imposable (no where to mount it!) it would serve no real purpose, as the esxhast pot is not cooled, and deispite whatr these engine men say, is origonal to the engine. the cylender block casting for a marinde P5 is quite diferent, as it the crank case. in fact the only common features on the marine P5 AND INDUSTRIAL P5 is the carb and flyweel. (id had one that was in a terible state, and after dismantinling it to assess for resteration, i desided to sel for spares, so this is how i found out) The engine was purchased at the old WVDPS/NICES Auction that was at Woodton Kings Head in the early 1970's compleatly in peaces, with many parts broken, and just as many missing. Was rallied extencivly by him all over South East England util his death in Nov 1994. The engine now bears a owners brass plaque with his name and old address (C J RIVETT BYGONES HALES) as a tribute to him.
My Famileys engines 07july10
n here it is a few weeks later at the martham carnival, a bit smoky, not becouse i had got the oil/fuel mix wrong, but becouse the oil in the govenerhousimh had started to seem throu the felt seal on the crankshaft. ths has been resolved by a drain beening added tot he coverner housing, and thick gear oil being used.
jamespeterbrett
jamespeterbrett
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by enginesaremylife Sun Mar 28 2010, 12:00

Hello, I was a good friend of Kenny Stopher's around that time and got him interested in stationary engines. I had my workshop in one of his sheds around the late 1980's and remember most of what he had and where they all went.
Regards Steve Green

enginesaremylife
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by jamespeterbrett Sun Mar 28 2010, 20:00

hiya steve.

Dont supose you remember the little Ruston PR? any infor greatly receaved.
jamespeterbrett
jamespeterbrett
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by enginesaremylife Sun Mar 28 2010, 21:56

Hello, Yes I do! It was sold to Micheal Kendel who lives in Halesworth some years ago now! He is a good friend of mine and I can tell you he sold it on, but at this time I can not tell who to? But I will find out and get back to you in a few days.

Where abouts in the country are you?

Regards

Steve

enginesaremylife
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by jamespeterbrett Sun Mar 28 2010, 21:59

yes i knew mike had it, he was good friends with grandad and is with me. Im not far ogg you, only at Loddon.
jamespeterbrett
jamespeterbrett
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 29 2010, 08:28

Do you know the serial number of your stuart? is it a P5LY?

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by jamespeterbrett Tue Mar 30 2010, 19:42

i will have a look at the numper next time im in the shed. the spec is simply stated as P5
jamespeterbrett
jamespeterbrett
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by enginesaremylife Mon Apr 05 2010, 08:20

jamespeterbrett wrote:yes i knew mike had it, he was good friends with grandad and is with me. Im not far ogg you, only at Loddon.

Loddon! Do I know you then? I do forget things and time moves on so quickly when your as busy as I am! Very Happy

enginesaremylife
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by jamespeterbrett Mon Apr 05 2010, 08:37

you might do lol. i know you. lol. you still at wheatacre?
jamespeterbrett
jamespeterbrett
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by enginesaremylife Mon Apr 05 2010, 08:48

You know me? or know of me? I am at Aldeby now moved to bigger premises in 2006.

enginesaremylife
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Sat Apr 24 2010, 22:29

jamespeterbrett wrote:Here are some engines that at one time or another have been in my family. They either are my Late Grandads engines or My engines. Some were sold by my Grandad in the 1989 (to Kenny Stoffer with his Farmall BMD super, also featured) some are engines that have either passed through my hands (forced to sell when money was tight) or are still in my collection. In all my family has been rallying stationary engines, old tractors, models and steam engines since the late 1960's.
My Famileys engines 110 the 1st engine i ever owned. a little mamod. still go tit in the shed to.
My Famileys engines 210 The 1st engine i Restored, a Villiers Mark 12, still own it, but am looking to sell it.
My Famileys engines 310 1948 Ruston and Hornsby 2BHP PT, restored by E Bradnham, and purchased off Des Sparrow. Driving a Industrial bench drill from the 1930's, restored by me in 2006. Unfortunately I Sold it to Dan Cole of Kessingland in August 2009, Location and condition now unknown!My Famileys engines 410 1936 Ruston Hornsby 1.5 BHP PB driving a very rear Turbo Gear Pump. Sold in July 2009 to Charlie Forword, who is continuing to carry on the good work i started.
My Famileys engines 510My Famileys engines 610
1927 LISTER L, Restored in the late 1970's early 1980's by M Armstrong of Hales, then passed to N Carr of Chedgrave, before being sold to me in 2007 in a non running, but complete condition, restored to punning order in 2008. This engine has spent its entire life in the Loddon area but is now living there Nottingham.
My Famileys engines 710 This engine was Delivered new to P Rand and Sons of Weatherdon (Main Ruston and Hornsby Agents for Suffolk) on the 29th October 1930. it was supplied by them with a ERF Turner (of Ipswich) rolling corn mill to a Wilford Clover of Drinkstone Smock Mill, it worked there until 1962 when it was restored by L Howlett. It was Purchased by me, and needing very little work, is my faverate stationary engine!
My Famileys engines 810
My 4 inch scale 6NHP Burrell single cylender genral purpose traction engine. Built by Tony Anderson of Lowestoft, with help form Horace Neath. Purchased by me on Aug 1st 2008. Names Sybil after my Grandmother
My Famileys engines 910

the little single acting poppit valve steam engine i constructed out of a suffolk punch 4 stroke lawnmower engine.
My Famileys engines C10
My late Grandad, Chris Rivett, seen driving his Macormack intenational harvester co. farmall BMD super, He sold the tractor to Kenny Stoffer in 1989. dose any on know where it is now?
My Famileys engines N6021022
1931 Stuart Turner P5 industrial 2 stroke engine, and very rear little engine, as most P5's are marine, but this one never was, having been built to drive a dynamo, poss. for the GPO. most other Stuart Turner industrial 2 strokes are of P4 type. This engine was restored by my Late Grandad in the 1970's and has been ion the family now for nearly 40 years, and is one of the most prized engines in my collection.
My Famileys engines X10
My Late Granddad's (Chris Rivett) 1924 Ruston and Hornsby 2 1/4 BHP model PR open crank engine, that he rescued from a local scrap yard, and restored. this engine was delived new to Cannell seads of Loddon, to drive a small seed dresser amd small mobile barn thresher, and was subscrently used in the Ruston and Horsby advertising for promote the 2 1/4 BHP PR. sadly, is is no longer in our familey, my grandad having sold it in 1989. dose any one know fo its were about now? Seen here at the Royal Norfolk Show.
My Famileys engines Y10
Add a caption
My Famileys engines Z10
nearest the camera is my grandads Wollesly WD2 petrol engine, behind that is his Petter 2 bhp 2 stroke universal engine. both were sold to Kenny Stofer in 1989. do you know where they are now?

hope you have enjoyed looking at just some of the engines that are/have been in our collection over the years bot myself and my Late Grandad had quite a lot more engines that what is feature here, but they have either not been photographed yet, or the photos have been lost over time. If you know the possible where abouts of the engines that have been sold away from the collection, i would be be most thankful.

Yours

James

HI JONH....

excellent collection of engines etc....

thanks for posting the photos....

regards....mike.
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down