www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Petter A1 resto(ish)

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Petter A1 resto(ish) Empty Petter A1 resto(ish)

Post by Nate Mon Jun 27 2011, 12:11

thought this would make more sense as a new thread here, rather than carrying on my fuel tank thread.

so, next up for the rust removal is the first piece of tinware. it has previously been badly painted, by the looks of it with little to no prep work to try and keep the rust down - they didn't even take the badge off No the only part of this i'm slightly concerned about is the rusty hole. if i can find my brave pills, i'll have a go at welding a patch in. failing that, it'll get made up with checmical metal or similar. hopefully the inside will clean up fine

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC01126

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC01127

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC01128

so, it got chucked in a plastic tank, along with some scrap steel (the brick is to prop stuff up on) and some soda. it is important to get the correct amount of soda for the amount of water your tank holds, study so i carefully measured out "some" soda then filled the tank with water. ended up using my 24v battery charger as a power source, the car battery i'd got for doing it appears to be flat. i also managed to speed up the reaction but fiddling about with positioning of the sacrificial anodes.

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC01132

you can see the bubbles coming off the metal that is being de-rusted (this was with a flat car battery powering

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC01139

once it's been going for a while, you get this lovely orange scum on the water

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC01140

from the looks of it, the flywheel needs to come off to get at the next bit if tinware off, but i can't figure out what holds it together. i was expecting one of more nuts/bolts in the middle of the flywheel, but can't find them Neutral can anyone give me any pointers?
Nate
Nate
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Petter A1 resto(ish) Empty Re: Petter A1 resto(ish)

Post by mike d Mon Jun 27 2011, 16:48

hi Nate..
that's a fine looking bit of kit..does it work well..
if its not to expensive mite have to sort something for myself
please can you give me the details
regards,mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Mon Jun 27 2011, 17:46

from the looks of it, the flywheel needs to come off to get at the next bit if tinware off, but i can't figure out what holds it together. i was expecting one of more nuts/bolts in the middle of the flywheel, but can't find them can anyone give me any pointers?

hi' i'm doing the same engine at the moment here
http://www.stationaryengineforum.net/t3372-my-first-engine

the pulley (if you have one) and the flywheel are keyed onto the shaft, both have to be removed to get that next guard off
Petter A1 resto(ish) P1250234

behind the flywheel is this bearing cover
Petter A1 resto(ish) P1250342
held on by 6 bolts, the tinware cover has 3 metal strips welded to it that also are held on by three of the cover bolts. it would help me if you could note the position of the arrowed lug on the bearing cover as it needs to go back in the right position for the oil grooves in the bearing and i forgot to mark mine before i removed it.
hope this helps you, read my topic to see how other bits come off mine is almost fully stripped now

Neville
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nate Tue Jun 28 2011, 07:33

mike d wrote:hi Nate..
regards,mike...

it's a 4 gallon central heating header tank which was just over a fiver from toolstation, a set of jump leads and a fully charged car battery (or you can just use a battery charger, so long as it isn't the 'smart charge' type)

the solution is just water and soda crystals (google 'electrolytic rust removal' and there are plenty of site that will tell you how much soda to use per litre of water) and you get them from the supermarket for about a quid, which will make gallons and gallons of electrolyte
Nate
Nate
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Nate Tue Jun 28 2011, 13:11

after 24 hours bubbling away:

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC01143

i fished it out and cleaned it with water and a toothbrush

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC01146

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC01147

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC01148

almost all of the rust is now gone. the rusty steel is left blackened, and the clean steel is still as it was. this dried off quickly in the sunshine, and has just been given a coat of acid etch primer. soon as that's had some time to dry, i'll get some filler on the badly pitted areas and then get some colour on it. yay!
Nate
Nate
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 09:50

Great job your doing, I think we've all herd about your rust removal method but were abit afraid to try it but it sure does a great job. Think you've give us all a boost to give it a go. If your still thinking about welding the hole I think it could all go to hole where it's pitted, myself I'd be thinking of a patch inside and gas brazing then a bit of filler. If your just using filler you'll need fibreglass as just filler will crack after the engine has run a few times.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nate Wed Jun 29 2011, 10:23

when i get the next bit of tin off, that's definately gonna need some fabrication. the bottom part has more or less completely dissolved affraid

Nate
Nate
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 11:12

You could always check ebay see what for sale.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jun 30 2011, 19:03

what is the ratio for the soda crystals to water as im thinking on doing this to a lister a but as can imagine the engine is alot bigger and heavier so a bigger tank will be needed ... Would this work on cast iron as well ?
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jun 30 2011, 19:36

Do you realise you can remove the blackness by dunking it in coke for a few hours ?
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Fri Jul 01 2011, 06:20

that's the next project then for sure..thanks for the information..
regards,mike.
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nate Sat Jul 09 2011, 23:49

tomorrow morning i'm off to collect my sawbench that i won on ebay, then if the weather is nice i'm gonna crack on with the engine.

next up i need to take the pulleys off. do i just pull the keys out with a slide hammer, then get a big puller on the pulley to get it off the shaft? or is there a less vicious method?
Nate
Nate
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 10 2011, 07:55

mike d wrote:hi Nate..
regards,mike...

Mike,
Have a look at this below:-

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net/t3251-rust-removal-using-electrolysis

Thats the first time ive seen this process done, it works well.

Thanks for sharing that with us Nate

Paul cheers cheers

Admin
Admin

https://ukengineforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nate Mon Jul 11 2011, 17:06

had a look at getting the pulley of this afternoon. i can't get a drift in behind the key for the pulley, as it is in there tight. anyone got any suggestions?

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC00772

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC00773

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC00774

so i decided i'd paint some more stuff. got the clearcoat on the cylinder head cover. i know it's not perfect, but getting all the bends out of it is way beyond my metalworking ability, and quite a lot of it will be hidden under the fuel tank.

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC00777

and i got the cranking handle painted. it had virtually no rust on it, as it was so heavily caked in oily sludge. the wooden hand grip has split and was held on with insulting tape. it all got de-greased, a coat of etch primer, 2 coats red primer, 2 coats colour and 3 clear coats. seems to have come out quite well. i'm getting better at this painting lark Very Happy the wooden handle was sanded back and given a few coats of clear. i'll glue it back together around the spindle (easier than trying to get the retaining bit off - looks like it is riveted?) then give it another few coats of clear. need to give it a few days for the paint to fully harden off 1st

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC00775

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC00776

the spring loaded pin that engages the crank into the shaft on the engine was held in with a split pin. is this correct, or should it be a roll pin in there?

Last edited by Nate on Mon Jul 11 2011, 17:09; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Nate
Nate
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Mon Jul 11 2011, 17:19

had a look at getting the pulley of this afternoon. i can't get a drift in behind the key for the pulley, as it is in there tight. anyone got any suggestions?

thats OK, it means the key will drag out with the pulley if its tight up to the pulley you will not pull it tighter onto the key, just pull it off with the key still in. thats how i got mine off.

Petter A1 resto(ish) P1250232
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nate Mon Jul 11 2011, 17:37

i never thought of that! i'll liberate a big puller from work tonight Smile
Nate
Nate
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 11 2011, 17:46

Im looking forward to seeing the finnished item, that looks a nice colour.

What is it?

Paul

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nate Tue Jul 12 2011, 07:55

landrover cranberry red metallic. the main block and possibly the flywheel and pulley will be white. wanted cream, but i couldn't find cream machine paint Crying or Very sad so went with what they had in stock. all tinware and bolt on parts will be red. thought it'd look more interesting that all being the same.
Nate
Nate
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12 2011, 09:55

It might help if you keep getting some WD40 down the back and the the keyway for a few days first. The pulley looks as if got a few coats of paint on it try cleaning it off around the keyway etc before you start.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nate Fri Jul 29 2011, 02:02

finally got round to trying to get this damn pulley off. cleaned all the paint off the face of it, then gave it a daily dose of plusgas from both sides for just over a week.

took it in to work tonight and got a 10 ton hydraulic puller on it. not a sausage. couldn't get it to move even slightly.

anyone got any suggestions how i can get that key out?
Nate
Nate
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29 2011, 10:22

There's always tryng to get some heat on to it, also if you can get in and hit it as the shock might be enough to break the seal. I've not had much trouble with mine so can't help much sorry.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nate Fri Jul 29 2011, 11:37

i only really need to get it off to rebuild the bottom of the tinware, so i think i might see if i can repair it without taking the pulleys off
Nate
Nate
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jul 30 2011, 15:18

Nate wrote:had a look at getting the pulley of this afternoon. i can't get a drift in behind the key for the pulley, as it is in there tight. anyone got any suggestions?

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC00772

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC00773

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC00774

so i decided i'd paint some more stuff. got the clearcoat on the cylinder head cover. i know it's not perfect, but getting all the bends out of it is way beyond my metalworking ability, and quite a lot of it will be hidden under the fuel tank.

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC00777

and i got the cranking handle painted. it had virtually no rust on it, as it was so heavily caked in oily sludge. the wooden hand grip has split and was held on with insulting tape. it all got de-greased, a coat of etch primer, 2 coats red primer, 2 coats colour and 3 clear coats. seems to have come out quite well. i'm getting better at this painting lark Very Happy the wooden handle was sanded back and given a few coats of clear. i'll glue it back together around the spindle (easier than trying to get the retaining bit off - looks like it is riveted?) then give it another few coats of clear. need to give it a few days for the paint to fully harden off 1st

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC00775

Petter A1 resto(ish) DSC00776

the spring loaded pin that engages the crank into the shaft on the engine was held in with a split pin. is this correct, or should it be a roll pin in there?

Hi Bud,

put a bit of heat on the centre of the pully until its nice and warm, then get a bit of scafolden pipe with a notch cut out for the key.

When the pully is toastie hot, put the pipe aver the pully and give it a good whack with a decent size hammer, You wont have to knock it far, just enough to break the seal of rust.

Paul

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jul 30 2011, 15:20

By the way, Ive never got a flywheel of without cracking it so best of luck.

Paul

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nate Sat Jul 30 2011, 17:08

RAB wrote:Ive never got a flywheel of without cracking it

that's clinched it. it stays on there and i'll repair the tin around it.

cheers for the advise guys Very Happy
Nate
Nate
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next