www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

+13
Smitty
Abes
A Lister
blackvanman
ells engines
steve w
billypurves
nutgone
Ianhw77k
JONESEY
ian webb
DanBoy
matt86
17 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners Empty amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Aug 17 2012, 06:25

well lads the time has come for the amanco to go back to bare casting as the modernish paint job is flacking and lifting from primmer coat in places
as it looks like there was no prep inbetwen coats of paint
and have a proper good rebuild back to as good as possable
made a load of the smaller gaskets up as in stripping her down
exhurst pipe /silencer and watercooled headgasket will be with me in a week or two fingers crossed
phelon coil and kw points with all the wistles and bells on its way from the USA "looks a proper job to me" lol
NEW but old school wiring and also new engine ignitor contacts,crank shimms
plus many other bits an pieces ready for the replacement on the rebuild
and of course the most important bits "primers and amanco paint, decals"
AND A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL INVOLVED IN THE SOURCING / FINDING RELATED GLOBAL DEALERS /AND WELCOMED PART DONATIONS, AND POSTING FROM
ALL OVER THE WORLD /COUNTRY
AND MOST OF ALL, AS ALWAYS THIS" FRIENDLY FORUMS MEMBERS"

since monday ive sripped and cleaned the head back to casting and stripped 20% of the paint from the rest of the lump lol
valves will be having a grinding and then lappping back in on a crappy day , they have a good seal but are well steeped back from the inner original grinding in from new
water jacket has had 3/4 of a dustpan worth of cruddy rust removed from hopper bottom , so that will help the cooling system work and drain in mins instead of near an hour lol!

also on removal of trip level and guvernor shafts that the cam gears were set 1 tooth out of time so that will make me happer about the blowback that i couldnt get gone completly from the oiler now its looking more like timming than excesive slop in piston ring grooves ,external ring diameters are very good think been replaced in the 50 yrs lol!
will stick up some out of focus pics up Sad Rolling Eyes Embarassed when i get a minute for you
heres some before i start the final stages of restoration
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 000_0110
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 000_0111
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 100_6310
kev
[b]

Last edited by kevjhnsn on Sat Aug 18 2012, 02:45; edited 1 time in total

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners Empty Re: amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 11:31

Way to go Kev, keep us updated on how your getting on a some crappy pics would be good Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm sure you'll do a first class job on this one the same as you've done on your others, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners Empty Re: amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Aug 17 2012, 14:58

stationary stu wrote:Way to go Kev, keep us updated on how your getting on a some crappy pics would be good Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm sure you'll do a first class job on this one the same as you've done on your others, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Stu.
stu
that makes two of us for that then Very Happy Very Happy
and will fire up the "original hubble space tellescope" Very Happy lol! lol! lol! Very Happy
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Aug 18 2012, 02:29

since yesterdays email ive now discovered that there is only pimmer in the odd place  so just a topcoat onto cast iron "not the way to do it but it makes the paint come off easyer for me this way  Very Happy  Very Happy
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 100_6310
as you can see from this pic bubbling paint on conrod and flywheel and blisters on other parts
" USE YOUR PRIMMERS AND SLOW THIS PROCESS FOR MANY YEARS LONGER"
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 101_6515
heres some pics of the paint removal progress to this afternoon you can see the rust thats  started under the un-primmered topcoat Rolling Eyes
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 101_6516
and there as much again tonight removed and still not half way with the scrapping
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 101_6517
these ports/gallorys to head were all solid with rust and silicone gasket nasty stuff silicone
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 101_6518
this is the amount of crusty  rust out of the water hopper i was talking
now about another 2 1/2 pints more water will fit in hopper when ready to run again lol
kev

Last edited by kevjhnsn on Wed Dec 18 2013, 00:52; edited 2 times in total

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18 2012, 13:16

Coming along well Kev, it always feels good to me when I take all the crud out of the water ways etc, just gives you the thought that it's got to be better for the engine then it was.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Aug 18 2012, 16:52

to true stu
as rust is a poor thermal disiubuter
and when its not there the water will get to do its job like the engine was designed for
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Aug 18 2012, 22:40

i sooooooo bourd of scrapping please when will the paint end on this engine Shocked Sad confused confused Sleep Sleep lol!
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Aug 19 2012, 10:58

simular amount of crud that came from my international hopper ... i even found a stapel nail you know those horse show shaped ones ... was around 3 inches long Shocked

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Aug 19 2012, 17:42

matt86 wrote:simular amount of crud that came from my international hopper ... i even found a stapel nail you know those horse show shaped ones ... was around 3 inches long Shocked

matt
i thought i found a american coin,
but is was once a round piece of card,
that had soaked up rust and gone hard Very Happy

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Aug 20 2012, 01:18

well this is the place weve all got the engine to ,since yesterday
as in pics wife doing the final wirebrushing
and my 2yr old doing the spanner work
today she has learned from watching how to use a ratcet spanner and undo or tighten up nuts and bolts
earlyer this afternoon i removed to coach screws from the base to trolley whent in to make her a bottle and me a cuppa
when i got back out side, she had got the coach bolts and the correct spanner, back out the shed and put them all back in
and tighend them down again
2yrs old and a great stationary technision last week on the wx11 i slide the guvernoir lever arm back onto the block and went to get the spanners to tighten it on , i heard my doughter saying " brum tig tig tigga brum brum pop tigga tig" on return i said what makes that noise "she said tuu toache" 2 stroke
and moved the level on the block and did the noises again
and saturday night she told mammy to "get daddy know i said mammy and i had to come in a she showed me " tuu toache " 2stroke"
heres the engine on a trolley pic for you
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 101_6519
and the real one spot the yellow blocks location on baby marseilla`s to this pic un canny i think ????????
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners Villie10
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 101_6520

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 101_6521

Last edited by kevjhnsn on Mon Aug 20 2012, 01:42; edited 2 times in total

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Aug 20 2012, 01:24

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 101_6522
and on goes another nut

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 101_6523
do you lads and lasses think the rings and piston is looking good i cant she any need for thin rings for the gaps
or what you all thinking ??????????????
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 101_6524
crank and flywheels off and just little more scrapping off before the wife and drill wired brushes go to work
and little miss greese monkey gets her little paint brush out lol! lol! Very Happy Very Happy
kev

Last edited by kevjhnsn on Tue Sep 18 2012, 20:16; edited 1 time in total

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy Mon Aug 20 2012, 11:03

Good to see you've got the family earning their keep (LOL)
Rings look OK to me but that scraper ring could do with a bit of a clean...........

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20 2012, 11:59

Piston and rings look good but I'd give them a soak in diesel to free up any sticking bits and help to clean it off.
You sure have a good pit crew but I think it could be classed as child labour lol! lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Aug 23 2012, 01:52

DanBoy wrote:Good to see you've got the family earning their keep (LOL)
Rings look OK to me but that scraper ring could do with a bit of a clean...........
hi there dan
hope your all well down south
doughter has been sanding the filler off the bits that were ready to spray today Sad
but will leave it as is,seeing that shes done it Smile Rolling Eyes Smile
have you found the garage floor again yet mate
the crap on the piston is only loose crap from out of the parts tin lol
should of wiped it over with a rag before pics Embarassed
i only have 2 weeks to get it finished as the rally im doing next with engines is a week sooner than normal ,should of put it on the calendar Embarassed
weather permitting will start coating the big bits tomorrow
and finish off prepping the smaller bits also and give all the oily bits a wash in cleaning bucket and strip back to bare as always
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Aug 23 2012, 01:55

stationary stu wrote:Piston and rings look good but I'd give them a soak in diesel to free up any sticking bits and help to clean it off.
You sure have a good pit crew but I think it could be classed as child labour lol! lol! lol! lol!

Stu.
its volantry not" forced labour " does that count mate ???
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 23 2012, 16:18

Now your saying she doesn't get any kind of payment!! it gets worse ..... slave driver lol! lol! lol! Get he some sweets if nothing else and she'll always be by your side Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Aug 30 2012, 19:46

well stu marseilla was helping me again with the amanco this time holding paint prushes for me and sanding the primmer with 1200 paper ready for the first topcoat to stick too "well as well as a 2yr old can anyway bless her " Very Happy Very Happy  Very Happy

just got back from onslow park rally tuesday, and managed to find a amanco flatbelt pulley,2x greasers
on my return home to find my USA parcell has arrived at last but with customs charges of £18.24 to pay on collection from P.O
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 000_0112
buzz coil made to original specs

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 000_0113
pulley and greasers
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 000_0114
sanding back to good cast metal see the rusty bit i left for comparison
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 000_0115
all ready for the primming
primmer pics a all missing off camera  Mad  Mad
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 000_0116
and the painting has commenced

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 000_0117

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 000_0118

Last edited by kevjhnsn on Wed Dec 18 2013, 00:46; edited 1 time in total

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31 2012, 11:33

It's a right kick in the teeth when you have the taxes to pay, had a load of stuff from China and Hong Kong without paying but all the stuff from the States I've had to pay robbing ba5ards.

Looking good Kev, glad to see your daugter is doing a good job, always remember years ago trying to get me son to help me rub down and all he did was rub the same spot for hours Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing

Su.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Aug 31 2012, 15:07

stationary stu wrote:It's a right kick in the teeth when you have the taxes to pay, had a load of stuff from China and Hong Kong without paying but all the stuff from the States I've had to pay robbing ba5ards.

Looking good Kev, glad to see your daugter is doing a good job, always remember years ago trying to get me son to help me rub down and all he did was rub the same spot for hours Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing

Stu.
always remember years ago trying to get me son to help me rub down and all he did was rub the same spot for hours Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing

Stu.[/quote] well every little helps me thinks stu Very Happy
im starting to think that one week to finish this engine maybe wishfull thinking Shocked

kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01 2012, 11:39

Kev have you plans to rally it this year? As the seasons nearly over now you might as well just take your time coz once your finished you'll just be looking for the next engine todo Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Sep 02 2012, 06:08

malpas yesteryear rally 8th & 9th 2012 and
possably taking the amanco to welland in 3 weeks time !!??!!
hoping to be there evening of the 6th affraid Smile affraid

just added the second coat of red to the bore and block

primmed and first top coated the the little castings
gear ready for the topcoats to start going on also
new greasers fitted and painted 1st topcoat
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 000_0119
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 000_0121
need to get the ignitor mitertubes measured and ordered
and try to get a small casting welded before the cracks meet in the middle on the guvernoir front and stricker bar shaft bracket all in one
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners 000_0120
"well almost all in one Embarassed lol! lol!
kev

Last edited by kevjhnsn on Sun Jan 13 2013, 15:07; edited 1 time in total

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 11:55

You are getting on well with the painting and as long as you get the spares you need I can't see any problems why you shouldn't make them rallies with this engine.
You should be able to get the welding done ok as it will "V" out nice to get the weld into it, just remind who ever does it to heat it up first to get a better weld. I had a cast pulley welded a few months ago and I'm not to happy with the finished result, just wished I'd known sooner that it should of been heated first for a better result.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Sep 05 2012, 01:48

amanco is on a slowed down restoration from today
as the 2nd topcoat is still tacky 4 days later
and still in need of at least one more coat to get the depth i want
and that crack as above is not a crack its been cut through with a hacksaw or grinder as its as streight ans smooth as a lake on a calm summers day ????
so will try to get it done for welland in a couple weeks time or the northrode wind down rally
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 05 2012, 11:58

Kev what about a bit of chemical metal just to give it a bit extra strength and set your mind at rest.
I think the weather were having is not the best it's either cold and damp or sunny for a day it's like two steps forward one back. Laughing Laughing Laughing
You'll get to the rally Kev just a bit of patents mate.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Sep 15 2012, 05:52

well the amanco has now been flattened off and the third and forth coats of topcoat have been brushed on and
and the head and carb are now in there topcoats too
so on with the sanding and painting the rest of the small bits and the guvnoir arm is away getting welded back as one
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next