www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Magneto Wolseley

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Magneto Wolseley

Post by blackvanman on Wed Dec 05 2012, 18:49

Hi all,
does anyone know if the impulse drive on the wico A and lucas sr1 mags fitted to Wolseley wd's are the same? IE: are the shafts the same on the mags, is the impulse coupling a Wolseley part rather than a lucas/wico part?

Reason for asking is I have an SR1 but the impulse is shagged, but I have found a dead wico A with impulse for sale, I am hoping I could maybe take the impulse off the wico and fit it to my otherwise working sr1.........

Cheers
Andy

_________________
The garage is my workshop, my den and my peace haven.

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by nutgone on Wed Dec 05 2012, 19:27

blackvanman wrote:Hi all,
does anyone know if the impulse drive on the wico A and lucas sr1 mags fitted to Wolseley wd's are the same? IE: are the shafts the same on the mags, is the impulse coupling a Wolseley part rather than a lucas/wico part?

Reason for asking is I have an SR1 but the impulse is shagged, but I have found a dead wico A with impulse for sale, I am hoping I could maybe take the impulse off the wico and fit it to my otherwise working sr1.........

Cheers
Andy

I'm pretty sure you can get the SR1 coil into the WICO A magneto, so you could do it that way, but then it would have the "wrong" mag on for the year (not a massive issue really, but some people like these things to be just so), & I'm not sure if the drive on the engine side will be the same.

_________________
The "F" key is dying on my computer, please remember this when reading my posts, I'm trying to avoid using it.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2012-07-04
Age : 37
Location : East Sussex

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by stationary stu on Thu Dec 06 2012, 11:53

Andy guess who picked up a working mag for a Wolseley last night on ebay tongue Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The only thing I'm not sure about is mine is an A906Z where as the new one is A906B so not sure if the last letter will make much difference. Not sure if you can change the impulse drive but I would have thought no.

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by blackvanman on Thu Dec 06 2012, 12:22

stationary stu wrote:Andy guess who picked up a working mag for a Wolseley last night on ebay tongue Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The only thing I'm not sure about is mine is an A906Z where as the new one is A906B so not sure if the last letter will make much difference. Not sure if you can change the impulse drive but I would have thought no.

Stu.

You mean to say you bloody did it again!!!!!! Mad

it was me who bid at 5s remaining lol! lol! lol!

_________________
The garage is my workshop, my den and my peace haven.

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by stationary stu on Thu Dec 06 2012, 12:32

Have you got shares in ebay by pushing up prices and what I have to spend, you know you can't go off people very quickly Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Well I don't think I'm bidding on anything soon so you should be ok but I might have a go at the sames sellers other mag if the price stays down lol! lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by Foden on Thu Dec 06 2012, 12:45

The Wico A mag for a Wolseley is different to other A types in that the flange is larger and the mounting slots are set differently. I have a list of the numbers, A906 BZ is ordinary rotation, A 989BZ R/Rotation, A1796BZ ordinary rotation, A1797BZ R/ Rotation. The problem with A series mags is that the cams are keyed to the shaft so each engine has its own setting and they cannot be altered like a Lucas, according to the mag specialist there is over 1000 different models even though they all look the same!

Pete.

_________________
Too much to do, and so little time!!

Foden
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 1123
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 65
Location : North Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by blackvanman on Thu Dec 06 2012, 13:11

Foden wrote:The Wico A mag for a Wolseley is different to other A types in that the flange is larger and the mounting slots are set differently. I have a list of the numbers, A906 BZ is ordinary rotation, A 989BZ R/Rotation, A1796BZ ordinary rotation, A1797BZ R/ Rotation. The problem with A series mags is that the cams are keyed to the shaft so each engine has its own setting and they cannot be altered like a Lucas, according to the mag specialist there is over 1000 different models even though they all look the same!

Pete.
OK cheers Pete, never simple is it? lol
looks like I may have it sorted, my impulse is only missing the spring and I have just ordered a second hand one from independent ignition in Exeter, I also ordered a points cover at the same time, so will see what happens Smile

_________________
The garage is my workshop, my den and my peace haven.

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by stationary stu on Fri Dec 07 2012, 10:54

blackvanman wrote:
OK cheers Pete, never simple is it? lol
looks like I may have it sorted, my impulse is only missing the spring and I have just ordered a second hand one from independent ignition in Exeter, I also ordered a points cover at the same time, so will see what happens Smile

Andy normally what happens is the postman brings these parts to you, but I may be wrong. Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good luck and hope you can manage to fit the springs, not trying to put a dampner on things but did you order a spare spring in case you loss one? Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by blackvanman on Fri Dec 07 2012, 12:10

There is only one spring Stu, clock work typey magiggy thingy Very Happy If I lose that I'm sure I'll find it quite quickly, it will most likely be embedded in my face Very Happy

_________________
The garage is my workshop, my den and my peace haven.

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by stationary stu on Sat Dec 08 2012, 10:34

Andy there's another mag listed for a WD but I don't know which it is as I don't recognise the number on it. It's an 860b clockwise rotation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150960358170?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Stu

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by stationary stu on Sat Dec 08 2012, 12:37

stationary stu wrote:Andy there's another mag listed for a WD but I don't know which it is as I don't recognise the number on it. It's an 860b clockwise rotation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150960358170?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Stu

Andy, according to the Wico list the 860b is fitted to a Petter A but he's used the same pics as the mag I've won (906z) so I think even though he lists it to fit a WD I give it a miss.

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by blackvanman on Sat Dec 08 2012, 15:08

stationary stu wrote:
stationary stu wrote:Andy there's another mag listed for a WD but I don't know which it is as I don't recognise the number on it. It's an 860b clockwise rotation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150960358170?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Stu

Andy, according to the Wico list the 860b is fitted to a Petter A but he's used the same pics as the mag I've won (906z) so I think even though he lists it to fit a WD I give it a miss.

Stu.
noted, cheers stu,

parts have arrived, let the spring fun begin Very Happy

_________________
The garage is my workshop, my den and my peace haven.

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by stationary stu on Sun Dec 09 2012, 11:58

Won't be long now till spring is in the air Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by blackvanman on Sun Dec 09 2012, 14:10

stationary stu wrote:Won't be long now till spring is in the air Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.
surprisingly not Smile

_________________
The garage is my workshop, my den and my peace haven.

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by stationary stu on Mon Dec 10 2012, 10:58

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! spoil sport I thought you'd have at least 2 tales of having to pull everything apart to look for the spring.

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by blackvanman on Mon Dec 10 2012, 17:31

stationary stu wrote: lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! spoil sport I thought you'd have at least 2 tales of having to pull everything apart to look for the spring.

Stu.
Nope, it actually went really well, I was very shocked Very Happy

_________________
The garage is my workshop, my den and my peace haven.

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: Magneto Wolseley

Post by Sponsored content Today at 22:23


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum