www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Stuart Turner R2 engine with A6 pump

3 posters

Go down

Stuart Turner R2 engine with A6 pump Empty Stuart Turner R2 engine with A6 pump

Post by Eric Davidson Sun Dec 01 2019, 17:50

Well, I've introduced myself on the new members forum, so I'll make a start.

I've had a bit of a look around here and Stuart Turner does seem a bit thin on the ground, also not much recently. Hopefully there are other S.T. people out there.

I've taken my R2 to pieces and done a lot of cleaning etc.. I've re-engineered the small end which was 'shot' and replaced all main bearings and fitted new rings. Similarly with the A6 pump, generally clean up and de-rust.

Firstly I would like to ask if anyone can point me towards sources of information re. technical, operating manuals and so on. I'm working pretty blind at the moment.

The valves in the pump which have the brass disc and cross stem, need new washers. Question - do the 'crosses' unscrew to release the washer? I don't want to risk breakage unnecessarily.
Being leather I can't see how else to get them off without damage to them.

I need the services of a good coil rewinder for the HT coil inside the flywheel mag. I've not had any luck with the three I've tried so far.

I'll post some pics in the near future.

Regards. Eric

Eric Davidson

Back to top Go down

Stuart Turner R2 engine with A6 pump Empty Re: Stuart Turner R2 engine with A6 pump

Post by Foden Sun Dec 01 2019, 18:41

Hi Eric, I partly rebuilt a R2 on a pumpset a year or two ago but were unable to get new rings for it as the chap who sorted me some NOS ones sadly passed away before he could post them to me. Sods law, I know where they are (and also a replacement cylinder I ordered) but can't get them! Crying or Very sad Do you mind telling me where you got your rings please as none of the usual suppliers I use were able to help?

Regarding the coil, is it the flywheel mag or a Lucas one? I know a couple of good 'mag men' but they normally need the complete magneto and not just a loose coil.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Stuart Turner R2 engine with A6 pump Empty Re: Stuart Turner R2 engine with A6 pump

Post by Eric Davidson Mon Dec 02 2019, 17:06

Hello.
Thanks for your reply Pete.
I got the rings from Ed at Stuart Turner Bits and Pieces.
At the time, they were the only ones he had. He may have more stock now.
The coil is from a flywheel mag.

Eric Davidson

Back to top Go down

Post by philipagri Tue Dec 03 2019, 17:26

If it's of any use to anybody H J Pugh of Ledbury has a sale this coming Saturday (7th) with about 15 lots of boxes of Stuart R3M spares. I don't know how similar this is to the R2 but you should be able to see the boxes on line if you look up the auctioneers.
Philip
philipagri
philipagri
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Tue Dec 03 2019, 17:58

The R3 is a larger bore but otherwise basically the same. I will get some rings (and possibly a cylinder) somewhere sometime, I will be selling it then as I haven't a lot of interest in it anymore and could use the space!

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down