www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Villiers Mark 15 Restoration. Update

3 posters

Go down

Villiers Mark 15 Restoration.  Update Empty Villiers Mark 15 Restoration. Update

Post by Reach Fri Feb 21 2020, 14:45

Hello All.
Here an update for the Villiers MK15
I am now about 2 months into the rebuild of the Villiers mk15 engine that came bolted to a rotavator.  When I got it I was so keen to get it out of the rain I forgot to take any initial photos, but this might give some ideas of its location and condition.

Villiers Mark 15 Restoration.  Update Img_3613

First job was to get the engine separated from the rotavator and get it on the bench

Villiers Mark 15 Restoration.  Update Pvilli10

I don’t believe it has run for over 10 years and had been sitting in the woods all this time.
Stripping it down as a bit of a giggle ‘cos I’m no expert and it has not been touched for an awfully long time.  
Though the thing was old and abandoned I don’t believe that it has “that many miles on the clock”

Villiers Mark 15 Restoration.  Update Img_3614

This is really only surface dirt and after a little of cleaning ‘n TLC it cleaned up quite well. I believe the compression is quite good because I did that trick, I saw on telly where you fill up the barrel with petrol and see if the level drops.  It did not so I reckon the rings and bore are OK.
The big job was removing the flywheel.  Thanks to the advice of forum members I leant what was required and came up with quite a natty way of holding the flywheel still whilst turning the nut.  Some of you might remember this..

Villiers Mark 15 Restoration.  Update Img_4114

The next troubling things were the screws holding the coil in place. Again, forum members where there to help and I’m pleased to say that I was able to salvage 3 out of 4 screws.
A new coil and some further TLC and the thing give me a bright blue spark on the spark plug.  I recon that’s the first time since the Romans left town..

Villiers Mark 15 Restoration.  Update Img_4210

I am now starting to look at the carburetor, and here’s a taste of what’s to come, this is the float chamber - I think.

Villiers Mark 15 Restoration.  Update Img_4211

This is going to be ‘interesting’.  

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Reach.

Reach
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Villiers Mark 15 Restoration.  Update Empty Re: Villiers Mark 15 Restoration. Update

Post by Woodsman Mon Feb 24 2020, 11:57

Dunk it overnight a strong solution of citric acid (sold as kettle descaler in Wilkos). I'd suggest 2-3 tablespoons in 250ml hot water.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Villiers Mark 15 Restoration.  Update Empty Re: Villiers Mark 15 Restoration. Update

Post by Sparkieb Mon Apr 13 2020, 15:41

🤗 hope your well and the villiers is going well, ran the t300 last week just to hear some engine noise. Have just finished the Montesa 348 ive been restoring over the last year and a bit but now at a lockdown loose end 😥 any suggestions glady accepted Thumbs Up as a little engine on my workbench would suit me right now, especially as ive invested in a lovely myford lathe too. Cheers Mark

Sparkieb
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Reach Mon Apr 13 2020, 17:39

Hi Mark,

Nothing here to send, how are you with Ebay 'n stuff.  There are some Suffolk Punch engines there for 20 - 40 quid.

Keep it together pal

Reach

Reach
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkieb Mon Apr 13 2020, 17:44

Thankyou for the info Reach, will give ebay a look. Yes im having a bit of a lockdown wobble but im sure tomorrow will be better Thumbs Up i turned down an antzani outboard engine a year ago and kicking myself over it 🙄

Sparkieb
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down