www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Starting set up for a JAP2A

5 posters

Go down

Starting set up for a JAP2A Empty Starting set up for a JAP2A

Post by crabtree Tue Dec 15 2020, 12:26

I have been partially re-building a JAP2A. When I got it there was no compression and no spark. I have changed the cylinder head gasket and now have good compression. I have fitted an different magneto and now have a spark but I cannot get it even to fire let alone run. When I got it the carb was a bit of a mess and I had to strip it so to know the approx. setting, how many turns from fully in for the two jets, would at least help so would any ideas what else could be wrong. My post code is BD24 0LG which is near Settle so if there is anybody in this neck of the woods who could advise that would be a great help.

crabtree
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Starting set up for a JAP2A Empty Re: Starting set up for a JAP2A

Post by Woodsman Tue Dec 15 2020, 15:25

Hi Crabtree,

First, best not share personal info like postcode in open forum - there are 'bots about.
Suggest you delete and ask for info via Personal Message.

Some suggestions , ignition timing, points / plugs gaps , valve clearance?. Are you getting a good spark at the plug?

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaudin98 Thu Dec 17 2020, 08:57

I am not far away from you. Drop me a line and we will see what can be done.

D.Riley.

Gaudin98
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by crabtree Fri Dec 18 2020, 09:29

Paul, Many thanks for your advice particularly re postcodes. Have to admit I had not thought about what you say. wrt ignition timing I replaced the magneto in exactly the same position as it was originally so assume it is OK. Points are clean, new capacitor and a new plug correctly set. There is a good spark. I did not need to dismantle the valve gear so again I am assuming that it is still correctly set but still no joy. There is good compression not only by feel but fuel is sucked into the cylinder as the plug becomes wet and could be flooded hence my concern about the set up of the carb

Gaudin98, I have replied privately to you but thanks again

Richard

crabtree
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Fri Dec 18 2020, 09:53

A daft question, are you turning the engine the right way to start it, I have a friend who bought a Ruston XHR years ago because the owner got fed up trying to make it go, my friend also couldnt get it to start until he realised he was turning it the wrong way as well. Have you turned the engine over and seen when the points open relative to top dead centre, are you using a brand new plug and have you tried an old one as new plugs can be a pain as there maybe not quite enough voltage under compression to ignite the fuel, try an old plug. one final thing, have you got paint under any of the electrical items, they need a good earth.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by crabtree Fri Dec 18 2020, 10:37

Thank you Maryalice. You raise a very good point which had crossed my mind. The dog on the front, which is original, into which you slot the starter rope, knot on the outside, seems to suggest that the engine should turn clockwise when looking at it from the front and this is what I have been doing. I do not think you could turn it the other way. I have treied three different plugs , two which came with the engine and the third a new one borrowed from my 1937 Ford Y which works OK in the Ford and thus I think should work in the JAP. Thanks any way for your advice.

Richard

crabtree
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Fri Dec 18 2020, 11:51

Over the thirty plus years I've been restoring and showing engines I've seen many an "expert" crank a Lister twin flywheel engine from the wrong side, and I've done it myself, and at the time I've thought I wonder how long it will be before they realise it Very Happy

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Fri Dec 18 2020, 18:29

Do the contact breaker points open just before top dead centre ?

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down