www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D governor question

4 posters

Go down

Lister D governor question Empty Lister D governor question

Post by Gosub90 Sun Aug 22 2021, 16:02

Hi guys, new Lister D owner here

Bought recently as a fixer-upper project, it’s rough but running. I’ve seen it start and run, but I can’t seem to get it to fire

Not had much time to look at it in great depth, but one thing I have noticed, when hand cranking, the governor linkage doesn’t move. Should the little piston coming out of the governor housing at the bottom of the engine be moving in and out, or does this happen later once fired and turning quicker?

Sorry if this is a daft question, just finding my engine feet 😊

Regards

Gosub90
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister D governor question Empty Re: Lister D governor question

Post by Woodsman Sun Aug 22 2021, 17:02

No such thing as a daft question. Daft answers are more plentiful. Laughing

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gosub90 Sun Aug 22 2021, 19:07

Woodsman wrote:No such thing as a daft question. Daft answers are more plentiful. Laughing

Haha, thanks Woodsman, I’m sure I can and will at some point find some daft questions to post 😊

Gosub90
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sun Aug 22 2021, 20:45

the throttle butterfly valve is kept open until the speed rises to push the plunger out and govern the speed, when you try and start it do you keep the sprung loaded plunger in the down position to choke the engine on start up and how far do you turn the fuel needle before you swing it over.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ajcooper4 Mon Aug 23 2021, 14:48

Welcome to the forum.  Just over a year ago I was a new D owner too and the good folks here have been both kind and helpful.

Apart from a leaky fuel pipe my Lister D is now running well.  I stripped the governor down and thoroughly cleaned the mechanism, checked the weights and springs.  I did notice on mine that the little piston you refer to was quite stiff.  I removed it, cleaned with wire wool, made sure the hole it moves in and out of was clean with a little lubrication and it worked well.

I do think, though, I am right in saying until it starts running the governor won't kick in properly.  I'd be inclined to check if you can pull the small piston in and out with your fingers - if so that is fine.  If not there is probably too much resistance and you should strip and clean.  Also, can you manually move the governor linkage or is it seized?  Mine was reluctant to move but a strip down, clean and repaint sorted it.

Hope this helps.

ajcooper4
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gosub90 Thu Sep 02 2021, 19:43

Thanks guys, yes that makes sense now. I’ve also found a YouTube video of someone running a d without the governor attached and showed the counterweights extending out as the engine sped up, so you’re spot on!
I’ve since managed to get it to run, a few tweaks, temporarily taped up the cracks on the HT lead and replaced a seemingly faulty spark plug and she lives!!
Thanks for all your help 👍🏻

Gosub90
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down