www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D Governor removal

3 posters

Go down

Lister D Governor removal Empty Lister D Governor removal

Post by ajcooper4 Fri May 14 2021, 13:54

Could someone help this newbie please?

I have now decided to dismantle the governor mechanism to enable me to better clean and paint around the bottom of the cylinder block on my Lister D.

I have a couple of exploded diagrams but they're hazy to say the least.  Does anyone have any diagrams or, even better, advice on how to do this please?

Lister D Governor removal 20210510

ajcooper4
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Lister D Governor removal Empty Stop press - update!

Post by ajcooper4 Fri May 14 2021, 17:21

I decided to persevere one split pin and nut and bolt at a time!

End result I have removed the linkage and the governor cover.  In my view it looks fine and once cleaned up and a fresh gasket applied I feel it's fine to leave this alone and dismantle no further.  Any advice would be most welcome.  Thank you.Lister D Governor removal 20210513
Lister D Governor removal 20210514

ajcooper4

Back to top Go down

Lister D Governor removal Empty Re: Lister D Governor removal

Post by Rookesy Fri May 14 2021, 20:03

When I did mine there was a bit of grit in the plunger which was making it stick sometimes. I cleared that with a WD40 because it was a spray under pressure. I suppose an airline would work as well.  
I re-oiled it and have had no bother since, just make sure everything is moving freely before you start reassembling and again before you put the rod back on.

Rookesy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by ajcooper4 Sat May 15 2021, 08:27

Rookesy wrote:When I did mine there was a bit of grit in the plunger which was making it stick sometimes. I cleared that with a WD40 because it was a spray under pressure. I suppose an airline would work as well.  
I re-oiled it and have had no bother since, just make sure everything is moving freely before you start reassembling and again before you put the rod back on.

Thank you Rookesy for those helpful pointers.

The plunger in the face plate is moving freely and smoothly but I will thoroughly clean and relubricate anyway.

Can you tell me, please, does the plunger need to 'click' in to anything inside the governor?  I notice it has shaped (like a mushroom cap) end and wonder if it should locate firmly inside or just move freely in and out.  I can't find a clear diagram or description.

Many thanks.

ajcooper4

Back to top Go down

Post by ajcooper4 Fri May 21 2021, 15:08

I thought a little update might be interesting to members - and I have a question also!

First, apparently, having done some research and talked to much older people who have worked on the Lister D the governor springs are actually supposed to be different sizes. One spring controls the idling speed and the other the maximum. Anyway, the weights move out freely so all seems well internally.

Second thing is my question. Part of my restoration is to give my 'D' a reasonable paint job. To do this I really need to remove the governor assembly but wonder if it will come off independent of the housing which the magneto sits on. I can't see why not but I am reluctant to start pulling away if this isn't possible. I can't find much on line to give a clear answer.

Many thanks in anticipation of any support or guidance that can be offered.

ajcooper4

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Fri May 21 2021, 16:54

With the lower mag chain sprocket and the grub screw visible in your second pic both removed the assembly will pull straight out. The springs should be the same, there were different grades depending on the rpm of the engine (some 500 rpm engines only had one spring) but they would both be the same tension. The spring on the vertical carb/throttle rod will adjust the idle speed.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down