www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Stuart Lighting Set

3 posters

Go down

Stuart Lighting Set Empty Stuart Lighting Set

Post by Robotstar5 Sun Jul 24 2022, 10:08

I only have water pumps for my engines to drive and fancied something different. I saw a Stuart R2Y lighting set on Ebay which didn't sell a few times so made contact and came to an "arrangement" with the seller. It has a car type radiator with an electric fan for cooling, not sure whether to leave it on as something different for showing or convert it to tank cooled like most others I've seen, what do you think?.

Stuart Lighting Set Str2_110

It has the optional deck wash pump fitted so I will still be able to pump some water to keep the yellow plastic ducks happy at shows Very Happy

Stuart Lighting Set Str2_310

As the build records are currently unavailable I've guessed it's about 1954.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Stuart Lighting Set Empty Re: Stuart Lighting Set

Post by neil (LE) Sun Jul 24 2022, 12:11

I like it as it is currently set up, with the radiator fitted. However I think it might look more convincing as a factory produced set, if the Dexion framework could be replaced with some rolled channelling section, more suited to the era and the quality of the rest of the build, including the very nice cast base plate.

All that said, it looks to be a very complete and honest set with great potential, whatever you decide to do. Especially if you keep the yellow plastic ducks happy!

P.S. Have you attempted to get it to run as yet?

Neil

neil (LE)
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Wed Jul 27 2022, 11:09

IMHO I think the radiator looks gash.... One of them galvanised square tanks looks much better.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Wed Jul 27 2022, 22:47

StuartTurnerSteve wrote:IMHO I think the radiator looks gash.... One of them galvanised square tanks looks much better.

I'm thinking the same, particularly the fan and it's controller look out of place on an old set/

Stuart Lighting Set Str2_210

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by neil (LE) Thu Jul 28 2022, 09:01

OK you've convinced me. I hadn't seen the electric fan when I made my comment. However I do like the look of a properly installed radiator system, on an industrial unit, rather than an open water tank, which I associate more with agricultural use.

Of course you could always have an air cooled engine instead!

Neil.

neil (LE)
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Thu Jul 28 2022, 10:16

neil (LE) wrote:OK you've convinced me. I hadn't seen the electric fan when I made my comment. However I do like the look of a properly installed radiator system, on an industrial unit, rather than an open water tank, which I associate more with agricultural use.

Of course you could always have an air cooled engine instead!

Neil.

This one would have sucked water from outside the boat for cooling, so time to get half a yacht hull to properly show it off Laughing. Was normally the P55 that was the Rad cooled version of the Stuart, but the P4, P5 and R range was available with a rad, though not as commonly as the P55. Stuart for home use mainly used cylindrical water tanks, I've got photos of the install process somewhere.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Thu Jul 28 2022, 22:46

StuartTurnerSteve wrote:
This one would have sucked water from outside the boat for cooling, so time to get half a yacht hull to properly show it off  Laughing. Was normally the P55 that was the Rad cooled version of the Stuart, but the P4, P5 and R range was available with a rad, though not as commonly as the P55. Stuart for home use mainly used cylindrical water tanks, I've got photos of the install process somewhere.

Any suggestions as to tank capacity needed?, I'm thinking something like a 9 litre fire extinguisher with the top cut off or maybe something a bit bigger like a 25 litre oil drum.

I would be interested to see the install photo's.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Thu Jul 28 2022, 22:54

Will have to find the hard drive, all packed up for moving.. we started moving 9 months ago....

I have a fire extinguisher on my R3, should be large enough for show. M'Uncle has this set up for his P4.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down