www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

My first project. Coborn?

+7
TomCat
kevjhnsn
nutgone
michael3
Appletop
Lewis MacRae
Ianhw77k
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My first project. Coborn? - Page 2 Empty Re: My first project. Coborn?

Post by mo3mini Fri Aug 02 2013, 23:03

Hi, I had a look at this engine on ebay. What you have there is a Coborn C6. A 603cc 6hp beast.. a friend of mine 'MakeDoAndmend1' has 3 Coborn engines, a C3, a C6 and another C3.

They made 25,000 of these engines..

Ill be able to pass on some lessons I learnt from mine, they have a cam operated oil pump and oil dipper for lubricating. The oil pump fills a try which the dipper then runs in. If the oil pump doesn't function the engine gets no oil at all. So I would advise taking the crank case door off and cranking the engine other to see if its working. The air vain governor at the back of the cowling is hard to set up, they run best when the throttle is locked closed.. has a Wico impulse magneto so it should start with a simple flick of the starting handle. Be careful of the handle, they have a tendency to stick and then be thrown across the garden. The engine runs a Solex carb. Those suffer badly with wear to the throttle shaft. If its worn it leaks air making it difficult to set up correctly. The carbs are also known to warp which has the same affect.

The exhaust is simple to replace. A 1" BSP £14.99 Briggs and Stratton exhaust can be had on ebay. Fitted to all 3 of my friends Coborns and they sound lovely.

The old C3 has a good heavy flywheel. So they can easily run at speeds of about 400rpm (not for a long period of time due the splash lubrication. So around a 1000rpm is a good running speed.

I see you got the C3 dimensions, which is probably why you were surprised of its size. As the C6 is much bigger then the 300cc C3.

Finally a videos of a slow running Coborn C3 (the C6 can also be found on youtube) enjoy.

Cheers, Dan
mo3mini
mo3mini
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by TomCat Sat Aug 03 2013, 20:52

Thanks for the info mo3mini, much appreciated. I have found the 'pump in the sump' thingie, I did an off engine test in a tray of oil and all is working well there so far, I'll do a real visual check when I get round to filling her with oil, but cant foresee any problems. I have obtained a pepper pot type silencer from a local garden machinery guy and will hopefully get that sorted and fitted tomorrow. The carb is in very good condition and shows very little or no wear in the spindles and has been checked with a steel rule and shows no signs of warping anywhere so far *fingers crossed* Wink I understand about the poss starting handle issues and will make sure all is well greased before fire up time. I did try a few test swings last weekend while checking for sparks and managed to hit myself on the elbow with the handle as it released, causing a big lump, some bruising and a few choice swear words, the most painful part was that my dear wifey was watching at time and got the giggles at my misfortune Embarassed. I'll make sure I don't do that again.
All in all she is coming on slowly but surely now, I have obtained some 1/4 inch copper pipe and will also make some fuel lines asap. My temp trolley gave up the will to live and went all wobbly on the TV stand castors, so I have knocked up a replacement using 100mm x 50mm pine and some decent 'heavy duty' flight crate castors (from my brother in law) so she's a bit more stable now.
My first project. Coborn? - Page 2 Morestill7
My first project. Coborn? - Page 2 Trolley8
TomCat
TomCat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sat Aug 03 2013, 21:44

Does look very nice.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Aug 04 2013, 11:27

she looks really good with that new trolley, are you going to stain or varnish it? Also what colour are you going to paint it?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TomCat Sun Aug 04 2013, 20:57

Lewis, I may do the trolley in red cedar as I have some in the shed somewhere and then a few coats of varnish. The main tin work on the engine will be done in an orangey red to match the original colour scheme.
I've had a productive day today, I was up early and got the exhaust fitted and then made up some fuel pipes, I haven't done the 'wrap around' on the exhaust for paraffin yet as I'm going to use petrol only for a while - maybe later paraffin may come into play. I then decide to do an inventory check to make sure all the parts were present and correct, after being spread around in the garage for cleaning, they were all temp fitted to the engine when located and if I may say so.... she's looking good so far!
I filled the sump up with around 1.5 litres of Miller SAE 30 Golden Film and gave it a dozen or so turns on the handle and the splash tray filled up nicely Very Happy.
So all in all she's ready to run, but not just yet  - I then stripped all the tin work down again in readiness for rubbing down and prepping for the paint job that is planned for next weekend.
My first project. Coborn? - Page 2 Dressed14 New fuel lines
My first project. Coborn? - Page 2 Dressed19 All dressed up and nowhere to go
My first project. Coborn? - Page 2 Dressed37 Full sump
My first project. Coborn? - Page 2 Dressed38 Cranked over and splash tray full
TomCat
TomCat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake Birrell Mon Aug 05 2013, 18:09

Really nice job!
Jake Birrell
Jake Birrell
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by rubythursday Mon Aug 05 2013, 18:30

Looks great.

1913 Hornsby L Type 8HP, 1926 Blackstone 5HP, 1927 Lister D 'Shafty', 1940 Stuart Turner P5LY generating set, 1944 Ruston Hornsby 6PB, 1945 Wolseley WD2, 1946 Norman SC, 1971 Rover 2000 auto, 1990 VW T4 camper, 2002 Land Rover Discovery TD5 Auto, 2005 Volvo S60 auto.
rubythursday
rubythursday
Expert
Expert

http://www.tonysimons.me.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by TomCat Thu Aug 15 2013, 19:47

She's coming on a treat Very Happy . My neighbour had a rummage around in his garage and came up with a couple of cans of red spray enamel paint and donated them to my project, it's not the exact colour I would have gone for myself but its good to see the tin work in a proper colour rather than red oxide or grey primer and shining at last, so this red will do for now until I can find something better.
The other good news is... it runs. A new ht lead, plug cap, some petrol and 4 swings on the handle and off she went. I was expecting a major handle swinging session along with a few swear words at the least followed by clouds of smoke, but she fired up fine. A bit of fine tuning is needed to get a smooth (ish) idle if possible. She jumps around a bit with the occasional stutter and bang, but a few tweaks on the governor settings and air screw should do the trick. I'm a real happy bunny now.
My first project. Coborn? - Page 2 Red2 Pulley side
My first project. Coborn? - Page 2 Red4 Flywheel side
My first project. Coborn? - Page 2 Red3 My toys..... 3 cyls and 1800cc of fun.
TomCat
TomCat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Thu Aug 15 2013, 19:55

That looks really good, shame about the tractor in the back of the last photo spoiling the view....Laughing 
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TomCat Sun Sep 08 2013, 20:32

Have been a bit busy lately with work and other stuff, so decided to have a quick play yesterday and finish the beast off. The last (pinky) red has been resprayed in a darker shade and has come up nicely. The original makers instruction plated was well past it's best, but I managed to copy the details from a youtube vid and decided to make my own from some 0.75mm anodised ally sheet and some printed/laminated vinyl. I also cut out a copy of the original lettering that was on the engine when I got it. I used plain white gloss vinyl and I reckon it finishes it off nicely.... having sign making equipment has it's benefits.
I've have found the rough running is caused by the rubber wheels I have on the trolley, the engine bounces around and eventually gets into a rhythm where the fuel froths up in the carb and floods out of the main jet when run on a hard surface. When put on the lawn (with wifeys approval) and the wheels sink into the surface she runs fine and will settle down to a nice smooth(ish) idle. I've had a great time with this project and am looking forward to my next one..... watch this space Laughing
My first project. Coborn? - Page 2 Plate
My first project. Coborn? - Page 2 Plate2
My first project. Coborn? - Page 2 Plate3
TomCat
TomCat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sun Sep 08 2013, 20:46

I do like that.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Sep 08 2013, 22:12

now thats a cracking job you have done there .

I do like the way you have made a new manufactures plate , sets it off now many engines will have plates like that . Looks like it should be just come from the deeler .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2