www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

project painting

+2
Rodit
marknva
6 posters

Go down

project painting  Empty project painting

Post by marknva Thu Mar 13 2014, 19:18

I was wondering how people felt about engines and ancillaries being in non original colours, my lister d is in its original as left the factory paint. But I've started to think about the paint for my rapid bamford mill No2 that ive been restoring after 50 years of neglect, im not a great fan of of the bamford blue and was thinking of doing it a different colour and was wondering how poeple feel about items not being original colour ive been I firm beliver of its my toy and any colour I like is good and at least its restored even if not in original colour.

Sorry if this is not right area for this topic please move if its wrong area

Mark Smile 

marknva
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

project painting  Empty Re: project painting

Post by Rodit Thu Mar 13 2014, 19:27

I believe that while the engine is yours you have the right to paint it what ever colour you want, you don't have to follow the norm.

Rodit

Rodit
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by marknva Thu Mar 13 2014, 19:40

That's how I see but its surprising how many people get funny with me about my classic cars not being the original colour

marknva
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Fri Mar 14 2014, 13:46

i don't think when they were new the manufacturer was to worried about the colour match, i must say i do like the engine / cars to look good in the right setting but as for colour what ever you like is the best. - i have seen a few on here painted mat black which i do like and i am thinking of trying out on a lister i have when i get around to restoring it.

i also think its the odd colours that get the attention of the younger people at the rallies and they are the next generation so if an engine is not pristine just have fun.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH Fri Mar 14 2014, 16:09

Have to agree with all the above - I say do as you please squire! - its all part of its ongoing history and patina - in 100 years when the next owner gets it he'll be telling the forum what a lovely engine he's picked up in original polka dots...... and as far as factory paint goes the colour calibration/ quality control back in the day was non-existent and probably only used to stop rust - not so much a brand program as it is today (British racing green on jags etc)! But that’s my opinion Smile

StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by tony RA Sun Jun 15 2014, 23:35

I am hoping some of you folk will be able give me some advice as to what is the best make /type of paint to paint a few engines. brush or spray and what is your choice of primer . As some of this paint can be affected by fuel and oil I,m told . And where can I get it / supplier

Many Thanks

tony RA
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Polybus Mon Jun 16 2014, 07:00

Just to give the other side of the coin - I happen to like engines painted up to their original colours. One of the things that I enjoy about restoring engines is the fact that we are preserving history, and in my view it is historically inaccurate to paint them up in some colour that is not original.

I like to imagine that day 60, 80, 100 (or 30) years ago when it came out of the factory looking almost exactly as I have restored it. Its the same reason I try to avoid replacing parts whenever I can - in my mind if too many of the parts are replaced - its not really the same engine - kinda like the old farmer with the axe - he kept telling his great-grandson its the only axe he's ever owned, he's had it 75 years and replaced the head 4 times and the handle 3!

But I must stress, that is just my opinion, and what I enjoy doing with my engines.

Don't worry about what the "restoration snobs" think - no matter what you do with your engine they will find fault with it.

You might not be so fussed about the historically accurate aspect - you might just get enjoyment out of coaxing life from a engine that has been sitting in a paddock rusting away for the past 60 years.

So although I like doing original colours for the reasons mentioned - as everyone above has said, its your engine - and you should do what you enjoy with it.

The main thing is that we will have saved another old beast from the scrap heap - even if it is painted fluro pink  Shocked 

Polybus   Very Happy

Polybus
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down