www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

JAP J.A.P. Model 5 rebuild - advice welcome.

Go down

JAP  J.A.P. Model 5 rebuild    -   advice welcome. Empty JAP J.A.P. Model 5 rebuild - advice welcome.

Post by Jev Thu May 08 2014, 20:56

Hello all.
I am on a mission to help out a local cricket club and resurrect an old Ransomes 40" mower. They have removed the blades and want to use it as a roller as it is pretty big and heavy.

And so I acquired a JAP Model 5 from an old Dennis mower - complete with clutch and matching 3 point connection bolt holes. Previous owner swears he de-coked and cleaned out the sump and blamed a slightly lumpy running noise on the clutch system flopping around as it wasn't under a load.

What a lod of tosh that was - got brave and dismantled the engine. Thick sludge in sump, no de-coke activity at all and Big end shells completely shot.

Apart from that the engine and cogs and conrod all look really good. Now waiting on a few web enquiries to get correct bearings
Bottom End Shells. Coded 020 4500 (and in case it is relevant... Conrod number. 18480f. )
I know someone that thinks they have these and so I have asked for matching top end bearing and gasket set whilst everything is apart.

Now - questions......

1) Can anyone recommend a reliable supplier of these bearings? and gaskets?
2) The current carb is an AMAL 418. This is a little cracked where the port fits to the governor butterfly chamber (The botterfly governor chamber is separate. - so... Which alternative carbs could I use?

Thanks for any advice

Jev
Jev
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

JAP  J.A.P. Model 5 rebuild    -   advice welcome. Empty JAP gaskets and bearings & another question - governor

Post by Jev Tue Jun 24 2014, 17:58

Hi.

In case it is of use to anyone else I found a company that was able to press fit my JAP top end bearing and supply new bottom end shells.
Their website is currently down but will be back soon.

http://www.coxandturner.co.uk

CAN ANYONE advise me about the governor on the JAP engines?  The arm on mine moves back and forwards freely and opens and closes the inlet flap to block off the carb and kill the engine if you press it by hand.  However, it is so loose that the adjustable spring loaded piston can easily push the arm right back when running - thereby stopping the arm returning back to a closed position.   Can anyone help?

JAP  J.A.P. Model 5 rebuild    -   advice welcome. _5812

https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/18/85/51/23/_5811.jpg
Jev
Jev

Back to top Go down