www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Eastney Beam and Gas Engine House Volunteer

+2
Robotstar5
ianc51
6 posters

Go down

Eastney Beam and Gas Engine House Volunteer Empty Eastney Beam and Gas Engine House Volunteer

Post by ianc51 Wed Dec 19 2018, 14:41

My name is Ian Clark although I am know as John locally. My career path was joined the Royal Navy in 1960 and left in 1986, last job was Charge Chief Weapons Engineering Artificer on HMS Glasgow.  I then worked as a System Engineer on a MoD contract designing Main Communication Office layouts for Royal Fleet Auxiliaries.  Then as the Systems Engineer for Royal Naval Air Stations (RNAS) responsible for coordinating the installation design and implementation of Air Traffic Control equipment.  My last job before retirement in 2009 was as the Equipment Project Manager for the seamless transition of Air Traffic Control (ATC) from the old to a new ATC tower at RNAS Yeovilton (achieved on time and under budget).  For the last five years I have volunteered at the Eastney Beam and Gas engine houses.
The Beam engine house (currently not in steam as the boiler needs some work, and some H&S issues need addressing) has two 1887 Boulton and Watt beam engines, a grasshopper steam engine, a horizontal steam engine and  a Crossley P1065 engine driving a ram pump. The 1904 Gas engine house has two Crossley Y2 gas engines with ancillary compressors and vacuum pumps. plus a small collection of stationary engines comprising a National Diesel, small Tangye gas , a Crossley JJ, Blackstone compressor and a Villiers.  Both buildings are Grade II listed.
We open to the public on the last complete weekend of the month ex December, Saturday and Sunday 1 till 5, no admission charge.
I pop up on other forums seeking help when stuck on preserving the engines for future generations.

ianc51

Back to top Go down

Eastney Beam and Gas Engine House Volunteer Empty Re: Eastney Beam and Gas Engine House Volunteer

Post by Woodsman Wed Dec 19 2018, 15:57

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you had an interesting career. The Engine House look excellent. We have friends in Winchester so maybe will call in next time we are visiting.

Any projects in hand at the moment?

If not ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enfield-VS1-Mk3-Aircooled-Diesel-Stationary-Engine-Sloper-type/223265718223? Smile

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eastney Beam and Gas Engine House Volunteer Empty Re: Eastney Beam and Gas Engine House Volunteer

Post by georgineer Wed Dec 19 2018, 17:44

Don't worry Paul, we keep him fully occupied at Eastney!

George

georgineer
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Wed Dec 19 2018, 19:53

Hi Ian, welcome aboard, I think the only RNAS I've been to is Helston where they used to have a nice public viewing area.

Stuart.
Robotstar5
Robotstar5
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ianc51 Wed Dec 19 2018, 21:39

RNAS Culdrose, know it well. Did many ATC equipment installations there

ianc51

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Wed Dec 19 2018, 22:43

I think it was 2015 while on holiday we dropped lucky, there were half a dozen Eurofighters based there for the week while there was an exercise on in the channel, this was the view from the cottage...

Eastney Beam and Gas Engine House Volunteer Eurof210

Stuart.
Robotstar5
Robotstar5
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Thu Dec 20 2018, 10:26

georgineer wrote:Don't worry Paul, we keep him fully occupied at Eastney!

George

Ah - partners in crime Laughing

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by georgineer Thu Dec 20 2018, 13:50

Woodsman wrote:
georgineer wrote:Don't worry Paul, we keep him fully occupied at Eastney!

George

Ah - partners in crime :lol:

Well, certainly partners in Grime!

georgineer
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by woody Fri Dec 21 2018, 14:58

Heres a link to the museum : http://portsmouthmuseums.co.uk/museum-service/Eastney-Beam-Engine-House

A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Fri Dec 21 2018, 15:33

Nice. Thanks for posting woody.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by winchestergoose Mon Mar 11 2019, 12:34

George as a visitor from Australia I had the pleasure of being the sole visitor to the Eastney Sewerage works . I saw the beam engine and the National Gas engines . Had the privilage of being shown around by the chief engineer . Impressed with the brickwork in the tunnels ...heard the sorry tale of what the tide did in Lackson Harbour ,this was in 1990. Regards

winchestergoose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down