www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Solex 26 FV on Coborn C3

4 posters

Go down

Solex 26 FV on Coborn C3 Empty Solex 26 FV on Coborn C3

Post by Tigermoon Wed Apr 22 2020, 09:53

Looking for some advice please with regards a Solex 26 FV.
I have stripped the Solex down in order to give it a thorough clean. Surprised to find there no gaskets on it, not even signs of gasket cement instead of. Have ordered a refurb. kit which does have two gaskets in it. Do these carburettors run without gaskets or is it just that the one I have is incomplete? Many thanks for any information.

Tigermoon
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Solex 26 FV on Coborn C3 Empty Re: Solex 26 FV on Coborn C3

Post by Foden Wed Apr 22 2020, 10:19

There should be no gasket between the float chamber and carb top, but it should also be a good fit. They often distort and need 'levelling up' with a file etc to obtain a nice fit without any gap and that improves them a lot. Float height can need adjusting as well as they can drip fuel when running, especially if the engine isn't working hard, an extra washer under the needle valve should stop that. On the Bamford EG1 I have somebody had glued a shirt button to the top of the float to do the same job, and yes, I did remove it! Smile

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Wed Apr 22 2020, 11:53

I have some 'user guide' documentation that I put together myself. You are welcome to a copy in pdf format.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Wed Apr 22 2020, 18:52

Foden wrote:There should be no gasket between the float chamber and carb top, but it should also be a good fit.  They often distort and need 'levelling up' with a file etc to obtain a nice fit without any gap and that improves them a lot.  Float height can need adjusting as well as they can drip fuel when running, especially if the engine isn't working hard, an extra washer under the needle valve should stop that.  On the Bamford EG1 I have somebody had glued a shirt button to the top of the float to do the same job, and yes, I did remove it! Smile

Pete.

Agree, no gaskets, except the one between the carb and the manifold. A file might be a bit OTT for levelling the two halves of the carb. I use emery paper on a flat surface and gently rub them until a close fit is achieved.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Solex 26 FV on Coborn C3 Empty Solex 26 FV on Coborn C3

Post by Tigermoon Tue Apr 28 2020, 09:41

Many thanks for the advice, just about to put things back together.

Tigermoon
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down