www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Evinrude horizontal twin cylinder marine engine

3 posters

Go down

Evinrude horizontal twin cylinder marine engine Empty Evinrude horizontal twin cylinder marine engine

Post by Wt1271-2007 Tue May 05 2020, 14:30

I bought the engine from a boatbuilder in Hawkshead in the Lake District, complete with its substantial reversing propeller and shaft.
The references I had for what type of Evinrude it was are minimal, despite enquiries in the UK and the USA.
Then I remembered the Marine Engine magazine which ran for a couple of years or so from 1996.
In the very first issue of Spring 1996 was an enquiry from Kerwin Harris in Truro requesting identification of an engine identical to mine (see magazine image)
He states that the engine isn't his and he is making enquiries for someone. Does anyone know where this engine is, as it is complete with the reversing mechanism which is missing on mine. I would like to copy it. Is Kerwin Harris contactable?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The last magazine article fI found this morning is also from the Marine Engine Winter 1996/97 by Patrick Knight. It is specifically about Evinrude, and you can just about make out the early horizontal single cylinder and twin cylinder versions. The twin is described as 'rare' AA type!
Does anyone know any more please?

Wt1271-2007
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Evinrude horizontal twin cylinder marine engine Empty Re: Evinrude horizontal twin cylinder marine engine

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Tue May 05 2020, 14:42

Kerwin is still around, I think his details are sometimes in stationary engine magazine. I used to see him from time to time when I was back in Cornwall.

Lovely engine, Evinrude made quite a nice pumpset. Smokstak forum is the best bet for help on this IMHO.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Evinrude horizontal twin cylinder marine engine Empty Re: Evinrude horizontal twin cylinder marine engine

Post by nickh Tue May 05 2020, 15:19

Although the flywheel mag speaks for itself, the rest doesn't really look very Evinrude - particularly the removable water jackets.
nickh
nickh
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Wt1271-2007 Wed May 06 2020, 18:39

I know what you are saying. It's the article by Patrick Knight with its illustrations which confirmed my suspicions. Can't find an engine number anywhere. That's another reason I'm keen to track down the owner of the similar engine as mine which Kerwin Harris provided the picture

Wt1271-2007
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Wed May 06 2020, 19:12

Perhaps give this guy a shout.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wt1271-2007 Thu May 07 2020, 15:24

Thanks will do.

Wt1271-2007
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Wt1271-2007 Sun May 10 2020, 13:30

Been in touch with jackcraib, and they are being very helpful. They have put a question and photos on the Evinrude engine site in the USA. I think it's mainly for outboards, but you never know what information people may have .
Does anyone have Kerwin Harris's contact details in Truro or look them up for me in the Stationary engine magazine? I need to chase up the engine in the 1996 marine which he mentioned.

Wt1271-2007
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Sun May 10 2020, 13:38

Kerwin is about, he wasn't well not so long ago and not sure how much he would remember about an engine from 24 years ago. I'll have a look, if I find them I'll pass them on.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wt1271-2007 Mon May 11 2020, 15:01

From the American society a member suggests British made Brittania inboard, although my engine drives a prop shaft as in a conventional inboard

setup[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I hadn't fully appreciated it was 24 years since the Kerwin Article was published !!

Wt1271-2007
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Wt1271-2007 Mon May 11 2020, 15:03

You can see the engine end of the inner and outer part of the propshaft (no stern tube) on the right side of the trolley next to the engine

Wt1271-2007
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nickh Mon May 11 2020, 15:15

BMB / Brockhouse Britannia 'Middy'. No, not one of them - used same power head as their outboard (donated mine to someone re-creating a 'cockleshell heroes' type canoe!).
nickh
nickh
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down