www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Sump Flushing

3 posters

Go down

Sump Flushing Empty Sump Flushing

Post by Garak Sat Dec 02 2023, 19:30

Time to change the oil in my project Petter PAZ 1

When I checked I thought that the oil looked quite clean then I realised that it had been standing for a long time and all of the muck has settled out in the sump.

As I use White Spirit as a parts cleaner/de-greaser and have quite a stock of the stuff so is it OK to use it to flush the junk out after a little light scrubbing?

What do folk here use for this purpose?

I did start the engine in the workshop briefly the other day and it ran well. I solved a 'no compression issue' by cleaning out the exhaust port which was almost blocked with carbon and re-ground both valves and after bleeding the fuel system it started right up.

Sump Flushing Untit460

Sump Flushing Untit461

Sump Flushing Untit462
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Sump Flushing Empty Re: Sump Flushing

Post by maryalice Sat Dec 02 2023, 22:47

I drain the oil until most is removed then use old rags to clean up and then wash out with a little petrol or white spirit.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Mon Dec 04 2023, 13:47

The woodwork department of my shed generates plenty of sawdust/shavings so I use that to mop up the excess after draining and then clean with turps or paraffin

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Thu Dec 07 2023, 09:49

After draining the oil from the sump I was left with a black jelly type sludge in the sump. I scraped out as much as I could through the drain plug hole. I then poured some white spirit into the sump which I left overnight to dissolve the remaining gunk before a final drain.

Now time to remove the gauze oil strainer. The job is made more difficult for me as I have large hands and find it almost impossible to get my hand through the crankcase inspection cover, this is made even more difficult as the crankshaft (even in the TDC position) occupies a lot of space. Unfortunately I ended up damaging the strainer during it's removal, so I'm going to re-build the strainer using some brass mess filter sheet (not steel wire mesh like the original). As I had some brass mesh already (not the size I intend to use in the end as it's too fine and would easily clog-up) I decided to make a trial strainer to sharpen up my soldering skills. I think it turned out not too bad. I now await the correct size mesh too arrive to finish the job.

Oops
Sump Flushing Untit463

Mock-up only. The mesh will be replaced with a more open weave type
Sump Flushing Untit464
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Thu Dec 07 2023, 10:47

Nice work.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Sat Dec 09 2023, 19:59

New mesh arrived so I made up the new sump oil strainer.

Sump Flushing Untit465

Sump Flushing Untit466

Sump Flushing Untit467

Just got to ask around for someone with smaller hands than mine to help install it as my hands are too large to reach right down into the sump to screw it back in. Mad
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sun Dec 10 2023, 10:30

Excellent.!
As for fitting - invite some kids round for Christmas dinner. Their parents will love seeing them covered in oil and grease.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down