www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D sump oil capacity

+2
maryalice
Foden
6 posters

Go down

Lister D sump oil capacity  Empty Lister D sump oil capacity

Post by DaiCap Wed Feb 05 2020, 20:54

One of them questions probably not often asked because its easy to just fill it up right scratch
I have searched and searched and never found the answer, so could anyone please tell me how much oil it takes from empty upto the correct level.
Thanks
DaiCap
DaiCap
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister D sump oil capacity  Empty Re: Lister D sump oil capacity

Post by maryalice Wed Feb 05 2020, 21:11

Evening,

undo the filler cap buterfly nut then pour the oil until it reaches the lower lip of the filler.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DaiCap Wed Feb 05 2020, 23:07

maryalice wrote:Evening,

undo the filler cap buterfly nut then pour the oil until it reaches the lower lip of the filler.

Maryalice

Hi Maryalice, thanks I know that but what I wanted to know was how much oil capacity (1 litre, 2 litre ect)
Cant find any figures anywhere

Thanks again
DaiCap
DaiCap
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Thu Feb 06 2020, 07:39

you wont find any figures, unless you work it out and tell us Smile Smile Smile

maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Thu Feb 06 2020, 18:15

I have several Lister instruction books, but none of them quote the oil capacity.
They all describe the method "maryalice" mentions above.

If filling with oil after a restoration, you should also fill the oil trough that the spiral gears run in. This is accessed via the crankcase door.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Thu Feb 06 2020, 19:56

I read in an official Lister booklet that two pints poured through the valve chamber is the correct amount but the last time I poured two pints into a rebuilt D part of it ended up on the garage floor! I wondered then if the earlier models had a slightly larger oil capacity than the later versions? Now I just fill the oil filler until it takes no more, but as Phillip said I fill the timing case first.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DaiCap Fri Feb 07 2020, 10:31

Thanks very much all for taking the time, knowledge is the key cheers
DaiCap
DaiCap
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Feb 07 2020, 15:57

[quote="blue cat"]I have several Lister instruction books, but none of them quote the oil capacity.

If filling with oil after a restoration, you should also fill the oil trough that the spiral gears run in. This is accessed via the crankcase door.[/quote]

Gonna pull you up there Philip, it's the A that has a trough you access through the crank case door, the D trough is filled via the 710 plug on the timing cover.....
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Fri Feb 07 2020, 19:06

Villiers,

Give Blue cat some slack, he only knows about open cranks, not like us Experts Laughing Laughing

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Fri Feb 07 2020, 19:34

Villiers wrote:
blue cat wrote:I have several Lister instruction books, but none of them quote the oil capacity.

If filling with oil after a restoration, you should also fill the oil trough that the spiral gears run in. This is accessed via the crankcase door.

Gonna pull you up there Philip, it's the A that has a trough you access through the crank case door, the D trough is filled via the 710 plug on the timing cover.....

Haha, it's 'OIL' not 710!! I think you knew that anyway! Smile The shaft drive D's don't have that plug so you have to fill them through the crankcase door, although if you pour the oil in through the valve chamber it does the same job.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sat Feb 08 2020, 08:36

Was you who called it the 710 plug Pete!!
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Sun Feb 09 2020, 11:47

maryalice wrote:Villiers,

Give Blue cat some slack, he only knows about open cranks, not like us Experts Laughing Laughing

Maryalice

Thanks for the slack !! Although I have restore a few, I'm not an expert on the Lister D.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DaiCap Sun Feb 09 2020, 14:31

All interesting comments, the instruction booklet I have says "fill the timing gear through hole on the left inside crankcase" I also read somewhere but cant find where there should be a wick in the lubricator cup & to put a teaspoon of oil into that. Mine had no wick but I filled with oil and it just sat there so removed it cleaned and put back with a wick in, now it does the job. All I need to do now is set the governor scratch and soon found just like oil quantity there are not set settings.
I think these engines lasted so long because nothing was over complicated, like fill with oil and if its too much it will run out, simple basic things, do that with a modern engine and you'll pay for it big time.
DaiCap
DaiCap
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sun Feb 09 2020, 16:47

Yes, with these old engines don't overthink things as you will end up going mad. It's a simple thing and has been designed for a simple mind.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DaiCap Mon Feb 10 2020, 21:32

Everything ready for a trail run with new oil, any advice on setting up the governor? the spring that was on it looked like it was out of a pen so changed that and cleaned the seized threads, and guess what.. no instructions on setting it. So it will either strat and rev like mad or not start at all and I havent enough wind to keep trying Embarassed
DaiCap
DaiCap
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Mon Feb 10 2020, 21:36

Well, If it was I then I'd slacken everything off as much as possible and go from there, maybe set it so the spring just opens the butterfly a little tiny bit and see, can always adjust open if the bugger don't start.....
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Mon Feb 10 2020, 21:39

The slacker the spring the slower it will go, thats assuming you haven't had the governor linkage to bits, if you have you will need lots of puff over several days to get it all back to scratch.

maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DaiCap Mon Feb 10 2020, 22:21

maryalice wrote:The slacker the spring the slower it will go, thats assuming you haven't had the governor linkage to bits, if you have you will need lots of puff over several days to get it all back to scratch.

maryalice

Thanks maryalice
well... it is partly in bits BUT I didnt clean the paint off as I planned so it should be more or less as it was. Thats presuming it was set up and running ok Exclamation At least I now have something to go by, I will let you know how it goes ... or not affraid
DaiCap
DaiCap
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by DaiCap Fri Apr 17 2020, 00:02

An Update.
Now runs like a watch, a noisy watch but music to my ears. I did fit a new condenser after the original played up but an easy fix. The float bowl was given a good clean then another good clean in a sonic cleaner, needle & valve was cleaned which helped it looked like it hadnt been touched in a very long time. Now it is easy to start and a pleasure to turn over, next thing is to try and make the exhaust a little quieter, maybe fit a longer pipe if it is housed in an outbuilding, it's a plan in development.
DaiCap
DaiCap
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1964 Tue Jan 19 2021, 21:36

it carnt be that easy just to fill the filter until it reaches the lip what about a full rebuilt engine with no oil.does the governor have its own oil
when i fill the governor do i fill it up until it starts to come out of the oil cap
then fill the crank case to the filter or will the governor oil spill out into the crank case

phil1964
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Wed Jan 20 2021, 07:09

It can, and it more or less is, back when I had Lister D types all I did was put a squirt of oil in the govener housing after a rebuild then use the wick oiler from then on, take the OIL bung out on the timing case and fill the tray under the gears and fill the sump. Good squirt over the valves and valve gear and that's it.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down