www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

villiers D270 aircooled diesel to the collection

+3
matt86
JONESEY
Foden
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

villiers D270  aircooled diesel  to the collection - Page 2 Empty Re: villiers D270 aircooled diesel to the collection

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Nov 04 2012, 04:24

well ive know go the sump off and guvernoir cover and disconected the piston connecting rod big end from the crank
so the head and stuck piston are on my bench with a pool of diesel ,red x diesel cleaner and heated up ever day for the hope of getting the piston to move ,but the worst is the white metal from the shells ,has stuck itself to the crank, but the crank is rust free Shocked Shocked Shocked
all the sump, oil pump shafts bearings and gears ect or all free and in a clean state
so some good news ,but not much yet
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

villiers D270  aircooled diesel  to the collection - Page 2 Empty Re: villiers D270 aircooled diesel to the collection

Post by Foden Sun Nov 04 2012, 10:39

Not sure what you mean about the 'stuck head' Kev? It just lifts off the cylinder barrel. Not good news about the crank bearing though.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 04 2012, 11:14

I was thinking that Pete, sounds as if the oil pump maybe shot or I wonder if it's been run dry of water. You'll need to give everything a good check over Kev.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sun Nov 04 2012, 11:26

stationary stu wrote:I was thinking that Pete, sounds as if the oil pump maybe shot or I wonder if it's been run dry of water. You'll need to give everything a good check over Kev.

Stu.

Senior moment there Stu, its AIRCOOLED! Wink Agree about the oil pump though, and oil and fuel filters are unobtainable for them now which is a shame. Just wish Kev would post a pic as we could see what type he actually has, he puts plenty on of his other project's. Smile

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 04 2012, 11:38

Foden wrote:
stationary stu wrote:I was thinking that Pete, sounds as if the oil pump maybe shot or I wonder if it's been run dry of water. You'll need to give everything a good check over Kev.

Stu.

Senior moment there Stu, its AIRCOOLED! Wink Agree about the oil pump though, and oil and fuel filters are unobtainable for them now which is a shame. Just wish Kev would post a pic as we could see what type he actually has, he puts plenty on of his other project's. Smile

Pete.

Well I learn something new everyday Laughing Laughing Laughing still half asleep only just out of bed, it's the meds I'm getting old, loads of excuses Pete just pick one.
Pete he has a dodgy camera and the pics arn't to good and other member (who shall remain nameless) are ribbing him about them so I think he's looking at Santa santa bringing him a new one.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Nov 05 2012, 03:34

well the info just gets better every time Shocked affraid Smile Crying or Very sad
thiw was the engine sold as running order 9 mnths before i bought it Mad Mad Mad
just thought a few hours tinker time and away it would go Laughing Laughing
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05 2012, 12:27

Kev it might have been running but was it running right??? Some people out there do as little as possable to get an engine running then sell it for bigger profits so this could be one like that but one thing it sounds as if the fuel injection side could be ok.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Nov 30 2012, 21:28

stationary stu wrote:Kev it might have been running but was it running right??? Some people out there do as little as possable to get an engine running then sell it for bigger profits so this could be one like that but one thing it sounds as if the fuel injection side could be ok.

Stu.

well stu
ive got around to taking FODEN petes advice on head removal and it splits half way down the lenth of the engine cooling fins,

as for it running 6-9 mnths ago Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
well have a look at this scratch scratch
villiers D270  aircooled diesel  to the collection - Page 2 101_6628

villiers D270  aircooled diesel  to the collection - Page 2 101_6629

villiers D270  aircooled diesel  to the collection - Page 2 101_6630
this is some of the rust out the top of piston bore the card its at on is the size of a mug bottom
kev

villiers D270  aircooled diesel  to the collection - Page 2 101_6631

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Nov 30 2012, 23:59

Is it a write-off then Kev, or will you see if it cleans up?

A petrol engine like this could probably run again, but a diesel could be a different story, they really need all their compression. Crying or Very sad

Gutting, aint it? Sad

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Dec 01 2012, 02:20

nutgone wrote:Is it a write-off then Kev, or will you see if it cleans up?

A petrol engine like this could probably run again, but a diesel could be a different story, they really need all their compression. Crying or Very sad

Gutting, aint it? Sad

well heres the results upto 1hr ago
used my home brew deseizer and and heated it up slowly with my magic tool to around 180-200 oC
the the mixture started to trickle down the conrod, ,15mins it was dripping
removed the heat source and the leather hammer in hand started tapping down ,up down ect ect for a while the the oil started to move again
then stuck the heat back on up to 220-250 oC 20 mins later gave it a smacker , any up the bore the piston moved Very Happy Very Happy
left it to cool for 30 mins as it was burning hot through my leather gloves in no time, then started to push/pull the piston up and down the bore
until it was free enough to get out
the rings were all seized up and full of crap
so gave the piston a good cleaning up and was in parrafin ,then got the rings to start moving and are now freed off also,
so washed the bore out of crap and put piston back in and used the rings to clean it out better and also work the crap out from the back of the ring groves at the same time Very Happy Very Happy
heres the results what i took pics of anyway

villiers D270  aircooled diesel  to the collection - Page 2 101_6632

villiers D270  aircooled diesel  to the collection - Page 2 101_6633

villiers D270  aircooled diesel  to the collection - Page 2 101_6634
heres my secret weapon on the seized piston wicked will have to use this in the future
villiers D270  aircooled diesel  to the collection - Page 2 101_6635
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Dec 01 2012, 03:00

heres the very last as didnt take any of the washed down ready for the next session
villiers D270  aircooled diesel  to the collection - Page 2 101_6636

villiers D270  aircooled diesel  to the collection - Page 2 101_6637
from the flash on camera it looks like there maybe some pitting on the bore ,but will find out better later in the light when ive given it a quick honing
see if this is scrap Sad or salvagable Very Happy
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Dec 01 2012, 10:53

Something tells me you really wanted a Villiers Aircooled Diesel in your collection!

Great work. cheers

I would have the piston out again & make sure the ring grooves are spotless first (& the backs of the rings), but that's just me, & you probably did it already anyway. From the looks of when you first took that head off it looked like a scrapper. Looked like water had got in there. Now it looks like a runner again!

I was told, by an old boy, years ago, that a single cylinder stationary engine should always be turned over to compression when storing, even if it's just over night. This means both valves are closed & nothing can get in.
I still forget to do it sometimes, but it's something that's always stayed with me.

Last edited by nutgone on Sat Dec 01 2012, 12:41; edited 1 time in total

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 01 2012, 12:25

Nice work Kev, myself I would say you've a good chance of getting it running again as diesels can get away with some marks/pitting you might loss a little compression but there should still be enough to get it running.
Fingers crossed all goes well,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by 110samec Sat Dec 01 2012, 14:38

In the 9 months since its run did he stand it in a bucket of salt water Very Happy
110samec
110samec
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

https://www.youtube.com/110samec

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Dec 01 2012, 15:23

110samec wrote:In the 9 months since its run did he stand it in a bucket of salt water Very Happy

well it looked that way mate
6-9 yrs would of been more fitting Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Dec 01 2012, 15:32

stationary stu wrote:Nice work Kev, myself I would say you've a good chance of getting it running again as diesels can get away with some marks/pitting you might loss a little compression but there should still be enough to get it running.
Fingers crossed all goes well,

Stu.
stu

a very big thanks to FODEN Very Happy Very Happy
foden petes been around today and dropped me off his old villiers diesel project
ive now bought it from him "a very nice man"
but his was the d415 ,the bigger brother to mine
and in the manuals he has also left for me it states which bits are different for the bigger one and all the matching parts there are many many of Very Happy Very Happy
so now will have to see whats going onto what , study i will get one runner from the two Shocked study scratch Shocked
i likes me a challange Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 02 2012, 12:46

Good luck Kev I'm sure you'll get one sorted.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Dec 04 2012, 00:08

well ive cleaned to piston grooves and rings for the D270 and lapped the valves back into the head
i need to get a new compression ring for it and then the top end is finished

the D415 is now the main consern for me
stripped the piston, rings, valves, all the head componants and bore cleaned and
valves and seats done
piston and grooves washed out spotless ,
bore deglazed
all steel gaskets polished back like new
valves have now got 4 collets as only came with 1 collet in a box
springs all back on
a new oil scrapper ring Shocked Shocked i have found a new one in my parts shed "" looky old me """ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
so head all back together piston is in the bore and has wicked compression Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
air filter has had a strip down wash and is drying before i reasemble
bolted the injector back in head also
so tomorrow its off with the sump for a good wash out as ive washed the over crankshaft parts of the engine so just the lower to finish of the flush
before some parrafiny 20hr old oil from tvo villiers goes in, from the first tvo carb that us to flood it slightly and then parrafin got into the sump oil Crying or Very sad
well it washed the villiers out spotless so it can goe into the diesel villiers for a pressurized oil feed trip , then a good oil changefor new oil
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04 2012, 13:37

All sounding good Kev and just 1 piston ring needed, good luck with the rest of the engine I hope everything is fine there.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2