www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

A Wolseley at last!!!!

+5
blackvanman
Matth92
Foden
Ianhw77k
kevjhnsn
9 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

A Wolseley at last!!!! - Page 6 Empty Re: A Wolseley at last!!!!

Post by Guest Thu Dec 27 2012, 12:06

That's what I was thinking, no wonder you get grief from her in doorz starting engines at 1-2 in the morning and I'm sure the neighbours ain't to happy either Laughing Laughing Laughing .
I would say if your starting an engine with an impulse mag it could be started easy on the flywheel if everything is set up correct. Just a quick flick and shes away. Very Happy
Andy your rings will take a little while to bed in before you get full compression etc from the new rings so the more you run it the better it will get.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 27 2012, 12:08

Just watched the video, she starts well and I do like your laugh of excitement lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Dec 27 2012, 12:29

stationary stu wrote:Just watched the video, she starts well and I do like your laugh of excitement lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Stu.
Yeah, couldn't help it Very Happy
First clack of the impulse Very Happy

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Dec 27 2012, 12:33

stationary stu wrote:That's what I was thinking, no wonder you get grief from her in doorz starting engines at 1-2 in the morning and I'm sure the neighbours ain't to happy either Laughing Laughing Laughing .
Stu.
The workshop door was shut, and the mrs exaggerates, she said it was like a thunder storm shaking through the house, it probably wasn't that bad but the workshop is attached to the house and she was in the room the other side of the wall Very Happy Mind you, there's no zorst on her at the moment either Very Happy

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Dec 27 2012, 12:51

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if I "accidentally" started an engine up at 2 in the morning??? Very Happy

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Dec 27 2012, 16:54

hmm can't get the video to embed

she is running a bit quick for my liking, and is at the lowest setting on the nob, will whip the cover plate off and adjust the governor arm a bit I think Smile

Last edited by blackvanman on Thu Dec 27 2012, 18:41; edited 1 time in total

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Dec 27 2012, 17:12

Ianhw77k wrote:
matt86 wrote:good news Andy , was the flick on the flywheel by hand ???

If so i am lead to believe that the rings will want replacing soon as they are not meant to be started by hand . you could do that with mine and when it was under load it started to squeak a little . Which was a ring squeak .

same with most engines are not intended to be started by hand . but American engines / open cranks is different design .

matt

Sounds a bit weird to me, why shouldn't you start an engine from the flywheel by hand? I'd be interested to know the mechanical/scientific explanation Question

Blimey, well past 1 in the morning and you go starting engines Andy! Shocked Still, at least now you know she goes, well done Wink

Welll lets re phrase that , a good condition tip top engine should not be able to be started by hand . I have seen a few lister A's started by hand and no way you would be able to start mine like that way too much compression .... As said with wd's my old one squeaked due to the rings . ive been told its a common thing for them . That what i got told by a chap who makes piston rings .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Thu Dec 27 2012, 21:45

When messing with impulse mag engines I now remove the plug lead after getting caught out at a rally last year. The guy had a 420 BSA and said it wouldnt start so I very slowly turned the crank to TDC to check the timing, the impulse tripped and the bloo*y thing fired up! Got a nasty whack from the handle, lesson learned the hard way! Embarassed He was pleased that I got it going though.........

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Thu Dec 27 2012, 21:57

All 7 of my WDs I have had over the years would go on the flywheel, if the compression is good it just depends on how feeble you are whether you can flick it over or not Very Happy

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Dec 27 2012, 22:01

Matth92 wrote:All 7 of my WDs I have had over the years would go on the flywheel, if the compression is good it just depends on how feeble you are whether you can flick it over or not Very Happy

im just going on what i have been told matt , i got the impression if you can flick over and it smokes rings are needed .

my old one you could start 1st flick by hand .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Thu Dec 27 2012, 23:28

matt86 wrote:
Matth92 wrote:All 7 of my WDs I have had over the years would go on the flywheel, if the compression is good it just depends on how feeble you are whether you can flick it over or not Very Happy

im just going on what i have been told matt , i got the impression if you can flick over and it smokes rings are needed .

my old one you could start 1st flick by hand .

matt

WDs and PTs dont have a huge amount of compression at the best of times

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Dec 27 2012, 23:32

matt86 wrote:That what i got told by a chap who makes piston rings .

matt

He's bound to tell you that! he want's to sell you piston rings! Laughing

Was it Bert? I bet it was Bert the piston ring man! he's always saying stuff like that! lol!

I'm only joking with you Matt, I know what you're saying & can understand the logic behind it. But generally impulse engines can be easy to fire up, sometimes a bit too easy (unless they've got "Scott" written on them! Mad )

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Dec 28 2012, 10:12

i know impulse engines are pi55 easy to start had a wd2 and would have another one day il get a wd1 at a decent price . but non impulse engines like English built Listers ... i don't think they should be able to start by rotating the flywheels by hand .

but if they do shows you something even though the bore / rings may be worn they will still run .... bomb proof

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Dec 28 2012, 10:51

There's supposed to be a video on YouTube of someone starting a little Villiers engine on the flywheel, but I've never seen it myself.

Edit: Here you go....

Looks pretty knackered to me.

Last edited by nutgone on Fri Dec 28 2012, 11:11; edited 2 times in total

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Dec 28 2012, 11:02

Here we go , Lister a being started on the flywheels .... no mchance that happening on mine ... too much compression it just bounce back .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oyv81gsWbU

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Dec 28 2012, 11:16

matt86 wrote:Here we go , Lister a being started on the flywheels .... no mchance that happening on mine ... too much compression it just bounce back .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oyv81gsWbU

matt

Notice he doesn't flick it over though. He winds it back to compression to use the full inertia of almost 2 revolutions of the flywheels to get it over compression. You should be able to get most like this over compression with all that inertia.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Dec 28 2012, 12:04

just never known it to be honest .... as said before mine would just bounce on the compression ... but mine has got a new set of ring on .... well a year ago it did . but it all depends on how much compression the engine has got whatever the engine is wherever you can start by hand or not ...But depending on the CC of the engine more cc would be harder to start i would of thought .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Fri Dec 28 2012, 12:53

As I said before that BSA wasn't even being flicked over, it just fired on what fuel was in the cylinder when the mag tripped. Quite scary to be honest, I had been warned but forgot about it Shocked

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 28 2012, 13:33

nutgone wrote:There's supposed to be a video on YouTube of someone starting a little Villiers engine on the flywheel, but I've never seen it myself.

Edit: Here you go....

Looks pretty knackered to me.

Now that starts to easy, a good draught when you open the door would start that and it looks a bit smokie bet it gets a lot worse when it warms up.
The only engine I've managed to start with the flywheel is my WD8 and it has good compression.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Fri Dec 28 2012, 14:42

figured it out using nuts post

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Fri Dec 28 2012, 16:00

nice runner - i am impressed i hope to have a new projectin the new yr myself.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 28 2012, 17:40

Running very well without it's zorst, when are you expecting your's to arrive?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Fri Dec 28 2012, 18:37

stationary stu wrote:Running very well without it's zorst, when are you expecting your's to arrive?

Stu.
Any time soon Stu, it was shipped yesterday so could be any day Smile

Been out there again today after a trip to the dump in search of wheels, found some, a set of 6 on one of those stair sack truck jobbies Very Happy
Any way, bit blurry on account my hands shake and its dark:

A Wolseley at last!!!! - Page 6 8317778381_a1ca351a21

A Wolseley at last!!!! - Page 6 8319204562_d0a52582bb

its bolted on, but I still need to sand and wax the woodwork, I would have done it before but the opportunity of a lift on was there, so I took it Smile

A neighbour gave me a lift on with her, so they must still be speaking to me Very Happy

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sat Dec 29 2012, 11:26

Zorst has arrived Smile bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Dec 29 2012, 11:36

blackvanman wrote:A neighbour gave me a lift on with her, so they must still be speaking to me Very Happy

They're probably hoping you'll wheel it off somewhere else! lol!

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next