www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project).

+11
steve w
Smitty
biomed32uk
rubythursday
blackvanman
A Lister
Carpmanjay
mm5aho
lister dan
Foden
matt86
15 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 Empty Re: Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project).

Post by nutgone Mon Jun 24 2013, 23:35

Did a bit more playing around with it this evening, just getting an idea of what it'll all look like....

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 2013-06-24223214_zps04a3c2dc

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 2013-06-24223225_zps3403cf1a

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 2013-06-24223304_zpsf30fa211

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 2013-06-24223925_zpsa69717d2

I know Ian will go mad when he sees this, but I reckon this spark plug would look really good in here....

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 2013-06-24223239_zpse0480c75

Think I might have to have a day off tomorrow, been over-doing it a bit. See how I feel in the morning.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 Empty Re: Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project).

Post by Lewis MacRae Tue Jun 25 2013, 15:31

Looks brilliant!!!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Jun 25 2013, 23:26

I finally got a 2nd top coat on the rest of the parts today, it dried off pretty quickly so this evening I thought I would build up the head (get the valves & springs in), & cut the gaskets. Bit silly really as it's all fresh paintwork, just touch dry. But I managed to do most of it with the minimum of fuss.

Now it's given me a better idea of what she'll look like with this green & black colour scheme....

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 2013-06-25223159_zps81c16789

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 2013-06-25223216_zpsb3a84d06

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 2013-06-25223256_zpsa6701e3e

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 2013-06-25223319_zpsa75e5cd2

Obviously everything's only done up finger tight for now (except the valve guide locking screws, which I touched up). I think I will grease most o the gaskets on this one, to avoid getting sealing compound on the paint. People always used to just grease gaskets, so it should be OK, although I may seal the top water connection piece one.

Next job will be to make sure the insides are completely clear of all the little bits of crap that get in when painting & sanding (might get the Hoover in there for that one), then oil up the gears & bearings & finally put the bottom end together. I can then re-attach it to the cast iron base, plonk it on my temporary trolley & get the flywheels back on.

Probably won't be doing that tomorrow though, still feeling the effects of working on the car yesterday, & I've still got more to do on that to get it's MOT before the Wiston rally in less than 2 weeks! (Time's running out! affraid).

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Jun 25 2013, 23:33

Can anyone tell me if there should be a gasket between the carb & the throttle plate? I've made one for between the throttle plate & the head, but thought one on the carb side of the plate would just end up interfering with the brass throttle slide.

I'm going to make the exhaust gasket from Tesnit, which I also use to make head gaskets. It should hold up fine. I've just used normal Flexoid gasket paper for the rest.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Jun 26 2013, 23:13

I finally got the flywheels back on this one today, although not properly as the whole thing needs to come apart again at some point to grease the gaskets & oil the bearings & cogs before final assembly. But I did get the next lot of brass bits out of their battery acid soak & prepared them, this included the brass plate & the petrol pump. I also mounted it onto a trolley, not it's permanent trolley, just my temporary one (the new owner of the Stuart P6 didn't want it, so I got to keep it). Here's a few more pics of how she's coming along....

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 2013-06-26192029_zps8b775638

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 2013-06-26192150_zps9e00a5b7

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 2013-06-26192250_zps10f38a31

Nutgone goes all Lister! (Lister A tank cooled project). - Page 6 2013-06-26192120_zps82b4e46d

Now I just need to chase up those piston rings & continue the search for a mag. I will probably leave this one alone now & let the paint go off a bit more. I've been relatively lucky so far, only making a few very minor scratches. But it's goo to have it together, at least now I know where all the bits are!

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 28 2013, 13:54

Looking good Nuts.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Oct 02 2013, 15:33

Made a vid last week. Still plenty to do, but I've not been in the workshop much lately....

Apart from that not much been going on. I just got fed up looking at this thing so decided to see how well it would run on 2 piston rings with a mag made from parts.

BTW, there is water in the jacket (you know how I feel about that). Hence the pipe on top (to take the heat expansion) & the genuine Lister 3-way drain tap on the block.

Tempted to sell it on now, not sure though scratch 

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Oct 02 2013, 16:25

now where did you appear from Shocked 

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Wed Oct 02 2013, 16:33

Nice to see you back sent u a private message did you get it?

Looking good bare you going to put it on a propr trolley with tank and stuff like that?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Oct 02 2013, 17:26

at least it runs even though its doing a hit and miss impresson !

the guvnor linkage needs some adjusting , also if you run them too lean they dont like it either , when not on load they like to run on around half choke and lean the fuel out .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Oct 02 2013, 21:52

Cheers Matt, I found all that out in the past few days, she runs pretty sweet now, although still would prefer some load I reckon. I've been playing about with governor springs, trying to get the speed up a little.

Lewis, I don't think I got your message. I would have replied I think. Maybe my inbox is full, I will empty it a bit, but you're always welcome to email.

I've not been well & not been in the workshop much, although I have been attending rallies & even won the stationary engine trophy at the August bank-holiday rally with the Scott & the Kohler (although I think it was the Scott that won it).

I haven't been on the net much either, there's a couple of members on here (as well as other forums) who aren't really keeping the spirit of the "Friendly" forum, can be quite nasty & personal actually & I'm afraid life's too short for all that, I don't want to end up lonely, bitter & twisted like them, with nothing better to do than make trouble & think up childish, snide little comments. I'm a bigger person than that. So I figured it best to tinker with engines, rather than talk about them. Also, since Stu took a back seat for health reasons I thought it sounded like a good idea.

So, on the whole, I've had to concentrate on my health & I will have to for some time to come. I could be looking at at least another year of debilitating treatment, maybe even worse (I've still yet to start the proper medical treatment, so far just taking matters into my own hands & experimenting with an alternative therapy). If I run out of luck completely I could be looking at a liver transplant by the time I'm 50 (maybe younger, I'm only 34), but it shouldn't come to that.

BTW, I do intend on replacing the missing piston rings on this engine, but it just goes to show how well it runs on just 2 compression rings & no oil scraper. Very Happy 

I would like to get this one shifted though, I reckon if someone offered me around £220 for it now I would take it, maybe even less. It is a runner now, after all.

Will come back & fill in the gaps later, although I didn't do much to get her running really.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Oct 05 2013, 17:35

Tweaked the carb settings & she's running much better now. Still on 2 rings though, but no piston slap, just lots of valve clatter, although it doesn't help being inside a workshop.

I've actually grown to like the (not so) little Lister, but I can't keep it. Sad 

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6